Forum Index > Food & Grub > food you used to tk. vs. food now.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 am 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Miss Normandy wrote:
Frito Banditos are my FAVE!
I miss Miss Normandy. bawl.gif
Well for goodness sakes, who wouldnt? doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Jan 20, 2008 5:26 am 
my biggest change is no granola cereal for breakfast, oatmeal instead. All about the weight. More drided fruit and less fresh fruit.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostSun Jan 20, 2008 10:18 am 
trail foods
I am a firm believer in the therapeutic powers of dessert. Make the one pot entre' with couscous or rice and lots of spice, throw in sourdough rolls for scrubbing and end with a cheesecake and your group will think you walk on water.

illegitimi non carborundum!
touron

touron
PostSun Jan 20, 2008 3:30 pm 
Heck, if that was being served next door to where I was camping, I'd figure a way to "blend and partake." up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 20, 2008 3:55 pm 
Back in the day backpacking food came in a can with Dinty Moore's fingerprint on it or caned beans eaten with a Choinard Lost Arrow as a spoon. hungry.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jan 20, 2008 4:18 pm 
2003=crap. Anything that sounded good got tossed in my Ursack. Little Debbie's seemed to always make it, so did Stove Top. 2008=A whole grain, high fiber, nearly all vegetarian, low sodium, no nothing fake diet. Yes, it takes a lot more planning. Yes, I miss the squishy goodness of Lil' Debs. I have for 2 years. On the other hand.....I do feel a whole lot better physically. Which means I can hike.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Jan 20, 2008 8:33 pm 
Since someone brought this thread up again, I should comment on my experience with food this summer past....I didn't take the cooked bacon, but DID take a sm.can of beens, and 2 kosher hot dogs, along with 1 sm. pkg. of Kings HI. sweet rolls..... that meal the first night made a HUGE difference in energy for the recovery from hiking into camp....and the next day allso.....ya get to eat the rest of the sweet rolls with breakfast.....gotta pack 2 eggs and that bacon this summer! we allways used to take pre cooked spagetti and a can of chili, onions.

UpNover

UpNover
PostSun Jan 20, 2008 9:22 pm 
Check out the NOLs Cook Book. It is loaded with backcountry meals, tips, and food planning. You can go to safeway and get cheap delicious food that doesn't weigh THAT much more plus you can get rid of all trash you have to pack out with mountain house meals. The cook book has things you would not normally think of. For example making homemade popcorn in the back country is very easily done. Through a pinch of salt in your food bag and you've probably already got butter and cheese for other meals, at least I always do. And WHA LA you've got buttery goodness right there in the middle of the forest. Same with cake mixes, pizza from scratch (thats right, yest and all) donuts etc. To me the mental boost of food that seems a little more "real" is just sooo worth the weight, it's a 45 pound pack, and an extra 5 of it is DELICIOUSNESS! PLUS if you only have D/h meals you can't get a calorie spike before bed to keep you warm, or add more butter for extra calories. You just don't have the same dietary control that you would have if you are making your food. Which really long or COLD trips that can be critical.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Jan 20, 2008 11:40 pm 
I try to take lighter food. But I haven't tried abbreviating "take" to "tk." and saving one entire letter, and replacing the other letter with an ultralight letter.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Jan 21, 2008 12:08 am 
Smart Alec.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
tofu on toast hikr

tofu on toast hikr
PostMon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 am 
Mick E. Meows wrote:
I try to take lighter food. But I haven't tried abbreviating "take" to "tk." and saving one entire letter, and replacing the other letter with an ultralight letter.
Mickster, I notice that Mick E. Meows incorporates the ultralight letter. Why not change your last name to Mous?

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostMon Jan 21, 2008 11:59 pm 
gnome for president

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
jalepeno

jalepeno
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 10:06 am 
Used to take Mt. House. Stomach revolted constantly. Now: Breakfast = coffee (MSR drip) and instant oatmeal. Lunch (eaten all day) = GORP, cheese sticks, Clif Bars, freeze dried fruit, Gatoraide. Dinner= Miso or Lipton instant soup, MaryJane's organic freeze dried dinner, instant pudding or chocolate squares. The first night out I bring lasagna that I have frozen before hand. It defrosts while I hike. I also bring fresh carrots and celery for the first couple nights.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 12:55 pm 
tofu on toast hikr wrote:
Mick E. Meows wrote:
Mickster, I notice that Mick E. Meows incorporates the ultralight letter. Why not change your last name to Mous?
Yer a dufus. Hey, wasn't there a guy on here who was fasting on his hikes? No stove, no food, no food bag, no bear rope, no cleanup, no fuel. And hey, no TP either! Man, that sounds like an awesome system.

wok in the woods

wok in the woods
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 1:21 pm 
Mick E. Meows wrote:
tofu on toast hikr wrote:
Mick E. Meows wrote:
Yer a dufus. Hey, wasn't there a guy on here who was fasting on his hikes? No stove, no food, no food bag, no bear rope, no cleanup, no fuel. And hey, no TP either! Man, that sounds like an awesome system.
I agree! With the weight you save you could bring along a pencil and tablet to write haikus, or maybe you good bring along a fiddle and dance a jig by the light of the silvery moon.
BTW, I think you are referring to Starjumper, who fasted and carried basically nothing but a sword. Of course, you can swallow a sword if you know how! I believe that presently, hikers are being divided into two camps: the lightweights, and the heavyweights. The lightweight hiker will drill holes in their Cliff Bars, wear only one sock, carry HO instead of H2O in their Camelback, and only take half a breath while inhaling. The heavyweight hiker will carry a Margarita maker, a 4-burner Whisperlight, a 5-star safety-approved camp chair, a 6-season tent, a large pack of Omaha Steaks, and a hardbound copy of Backpacking One Step at a Time. On my last trip to Snow Lake, I encountered a hiker carrying a pizza oven. I offered to help, and ended up carrying a pizza slicer all the way up the trail. mad.gif But when I got to the lake, I put in my order: 1 medium special please!