Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > How Do You Deal With The Northwest Forest Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

How Do You Deal With The Northwest Forest Pass?
Pay the fee and park in the lot.
71%
 71%  [ 33 ]
Don't pay, park in the lot and deal with the ticket if/when I get one.
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Don't pay but park outside the designated area.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Other (Go elsewhere, protest, counterfeit pass, etc.)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 46

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 12:05 pm 
How do you deal with the Northwest Forest Pass? The year before last I just parked where I wanted to because I knew they were not enforcing the passes. Last year I bought a pass, but regretted it when I learned more about the program and it's architects. This year I think I am going to park where I want and deal with the ticket(s) if/when I get them, but I may choose "other." Links: Northwest Forest Pass Home Free Our Forests GAO Report of Fee Demo Project (No smoking gun, but an interesting read) Highlights of GAO Report

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 12:22 pm 
We buy the pass. We've rationalized it as a donation for the support and mantainence beautiful places to hike and camp.

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!
-lol-

-lol-
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 1:37 pm 

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 2:02 pm 
Usually, I just risk it, but I've just run across an opportunity to experiment with the...other...category. Not gonna post details cause The Man may be watching... paranoid.gif

-lol-

-lol-
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 2:12 pm 

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 2:35 pm 
Forgot about the "get one free" option. I can't add it. Maybe Tom can.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 2:50 pm 
So far we're at the high end of the 50% to 80% compliance rate reported by the Forest Service (it varies from area to area). BTW, tk-421, I am not pissing, moaning or whining. I am simply taking a poll. I've written my representatives. I'm also willing to live with the consequences of not paying the fee if the government can make its case. It's called civil disobedience. A trivial example compared to civil rights marches and anti-war protests of the 1960s, but civil disobedience nonetheless. Main Entry: civil disobedience Function: noun Date: 1866 : refusal to obey governmental demands or commands especially as a nonviolent and usually collective means of forcing concessions from the government

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 2:53 pm 
Your "other" is too broad Dante. Here's how I deal with the forest pass: Cince I alwayc hike with a buddy, I make them drive and be recponcible!

Art is an adventure.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 3:04 pm 
If Tom is adding other choices, can he also add these? I like the program so much, I buy dozens and put them on cars that don't display one. I always ride to the trailhead with a friend who was stupid enough to buy one. They've never ticketed my Schwinn! I work for the USFS, so shut up and buy the thing already!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 3:14 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Your "other" is too broad Dante. Here's how I deal with the forest pass: Cince I alwayc hike with a buddy, I make them drive and be recponcible!
Hey! Cave that ctuff for Backpacker Joe! I have never cpell responsible with a "c". moon.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 3:58 pm 
The original poster can always go in and change the poll if they want. But we wouldn't have any good discussion if the polls covered every choice. doh.gif

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 4:02 pm 
Tom wrote:
The original poster can always go in and change the poll if they want. But we wouldn't have any good discussion if the polls covered every choice. doh.gif
Before I had any responses I could click "Edit" and change the poll. I know because I edited my original post to add the overbroad "other" category. Once someone responded, the poll options no longer appeared at the bottom of the page after I clicked "Edit". doh.gif yourself Tom moon.gif wink.gif smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 4:08 pm 
I think there may be a glitch in the software. You should be able to edit your posts, including polls. Perhaps only admins can do it after the first vote. Dante, can you edit your original post and see if you have an option. It gives me that ability when I click to edit your post.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 4:23 pm 
I just checked for the third time. I think it may be an admin. only thing. I can not see the poll options to edit them. I can only see/edit the non-poll portion of my original post. It's no biggie to me.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 4:51 pm 
I may have to wimp out and buy the damn thing now, I've heard too many stories of $$$ tickets- at least double the cost of the pass. Peace of mind, yes- but I don't like it mad.gif I do like it when you can score a yearly pass for doing a couple of trail maintenance days-good incentive. Too bad not every organization has that policy though.