Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > How Do You Deal With The Northwest Forest Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

How Do You Deal With The Northwest Forest Pass?
Pay the fee and park in the lot.
71%
 71%  [ 33 ]
Don't pay, park in the lot and deal with the ticket if/when I get one.
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Don't pay but park outside the designated area.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Other (Go elsewhere, protest, counterfeit pass, etc.)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 46

JayMar

JayMar
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 4:05 pm 
FINES
HAS ANYONE EVER GOTTEN A TICKET THAT IS ACTUALLY TIED TO A COMPUTER SYSTEM THAT CAN FIND YOU? I have been given many 'piss yellow' notices and have not paid. Until I get an actual ticket from one of the 'men in green' I won't *pay* much attention [knock on wood]. There must be a wide array of tickets I am not aware of in dem dar hills. As for the Forest Service having the burdon on proving thier case that a person was ticketed because they did not pay - come on! This is the same arguement used in traffic court and I have yet to have a Judge crucify a cop to prove a speeding ticket case.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 8:03 pm 
The ticket I received was a genuine ticket and probably tied to a computer system. I parked behind a sign that stated fee required beyond this point. When I returned from the hike, the sign was gone and a ticket was on my windshield (the sign could have been removed by irate hikers, though). I get worried about funds being spent on fancy loos.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 8:15 pm 
Just print your own biggrin.gif It's cheaper NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
JayMar

JayMar
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 7:05 am 
Mr. Newt- How do you print your own? I had no idea they had actual tickets....

Dante

Dante
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 12:22 pm 
JayMar wrote:
As for the Forest Service having the burdon on proving thier case that a person was ticketed because they did not pay - come on! This is the same arguement used in traffic court and I have yet to have a Judge crucify a cop to prove a speeding ticket case.
You may be right, but-- 1. I'm mostly passing on what I have read. 2. I don't think the Federal Magistrates who have to hear these things are too enthusiastic about them. They had plenty of more important work to do before this dumb fee demo project came along. 3. IIRC the experience of one of the nwhikers.net members who went to court supports what I wrote. I don't recall the exact details. Maybe the member can chime in. Polarbear? Was it you? 4. A speeding ticket is not a good analogy. In a speeding case the violation is speeding and that is what the radar evidence shows. In fee demo cases, the violation is failure to pay, but the only evidence is failure to display a parking permit. It is easier to prove some one was speeding than to prove someone did not pay the fee. In a speeding case, the record generated by the radar shows how fast you were going. In a fee demo case the very best the government can do is say "We searched our data base (if the data even resides in a single, searchable database, which I doubt) and have no record of Mr. Jones paying us. In reality, all they can say is "He did not display the pass," which does not prove he did not pay. 5. People win speeding cases that way when the officer is not available or the government is otherwise unable to present its evidence. I have a friend of a friend who makes his living contesting tickets for cabbies and truckers. FWIW Here is a link to some related information: You received a fee demo ticket. What next? You probably didn't get a ticket. Few people receive genuine tickets. Most receive Notices of Non-Compliance (NNCs). A NNC is a toothless threat demanding that you pay the fee after the fact or risk a much larger fine. If you receive an actual ticket, you may choose to think of it as an invitation to court and as a risk-laden opportunity to inflict significant damage upon the fee-demo program. As an alternative, you may choose to pay the ticket and admit defeat. Those really are the only two options available. Ignore all NNCs. These pieces of litter are not worth the paper they are written on. The Forest Service's NNCs attempt to bust you on the grounds of Regulation 36 CFR 261.15. This offense is committed when someone fails to purchase a recreation pass. If a forest officer or volunteer compliance flunky leaves one of these pieces of trash on you car, they do so without any probable cause. They do not know who committed the supposed offense, they do not know whether you were recreating and they do not know that a pass was not purchased, even if none was displayed. [Note: Legislation introduced in June 2001 by Senator Graham (D-FL, S.1011) attempts to remedy this situation so that the Forest Service can issue tickets without having probably cause. But until such time as Congress passes this ill-conceived and (probably) unconstitutional legislation, the law of the land requires the Forest Service to prove that a crime has been committed BEFORE they issue a ticket.] Note: I don't know what happened to this legislation. Don't accidentally admit guilt. Many people return NNCs to the Forest Service saying they would never buy a pass because the passes are wrong, immoral, or any one of a dozen other good reasons. In so doing they are not only registering their heartfelt opposition to this demonstration program, they are admitting guilt. Until you tell the Forest Service that you did not purchase a pass, chances are they have no proof that you committed the offense for which they have accused you. When contacting the Forest Service, never admit you did not purchase a pass, that you refuse to purchase a pass or that you were in the forest for recreational purposes. Tell it to a magistrate People who have not incriminated themselves and who ask the magistrate whether the Forest Service has provided "probable cause" have never failed to have their cases dismissed. In many courts, people who do not show up for their own hearing have their cases dismissed en masse for this reason. Some US Attorneys will no longer prosecute these cases. The Forest Service is acting like a bunch of thugs, but their bark turns out to be far worse than their bite.

Dslayer in repose

Dslayer in repose
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 4:00 pm 
I've decided never to pay the damn thing, never to pay fines and if I go to jail for parking in a parking lot in which my vehicle is usually the only one, then fine, screw it. I've gone back and forth with this for several years now, paying the fee a couple of years but I've been stepping over the same deadfalls for 6-7 years or having to cross a creek where a bridge has been out for about the same time and I can see BS when it's plainly BS. If the NFS ever replaces the bridge over the N. Fork of Clear CK above Dog Lake on the Cramer Lake trail, I might buy a pass someday again--what torques me about this bridge, it's no big deal for a person who's fairly agile to cross one of the logs upstream, is that this is an easy trail to access the Tumac Plateau and the lakes. One year this older fella-had to be 70 plus would walk in every day from where he was camped at the trail head. I would pass him, but he'd make it up there and catch a few fish at Dumbell or Otter Lake or Cramer. He couldn't make it up there now and it's impossible for little kids, too. I thought that what the NW Forest Pass was paying for-the damn bridge has been out since 1997-I've been patient long enough.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 4:09 pm 
Pay the ticket. I'd rather pay a few tickets than buy their bloody PERMIT! NOBODY permits me to do anything when the land is owned by all of us! That and we've already established thet TAXES already cover this stuff. Some freedoms have a higher price than others! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
cave coyote

cave coyote
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 5:30 pm 
I use the tickets after I relieve myself in the wilderness. I have well over 10 tickets and no one has contacted me yet I will be glad to go in front of a judge. I belive they don't want to take it to that level because they would lose the case.

USFS land of the fee home of the paved
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 6:46 pm 
It's a bit of work but can be fun to create your own kinds of paperwork. It may take some trial and error work. I prefer the first example as the reproduced image is much better. This can be used to make id badges for young kids with a photo on one side and information (home address, tele #, favorite things etc.) on the back if using a color printer. You can also do with a quality color copier. 1 to 2 sided. First you will need an original of what you want to duplicate. Get the newest you can. Go to an art store and find some paper as close to the same weight and color as what you are duplicating. If doing a black on colored paper do this. 1. You will need to copy both sides. When you copy the first side make sure it is in the upper left corner of the print copy. 2, Copy the other side and make sure it is in the upper right corner of the print copy. 3. Put both copies in a copy machine that will copy 1 sided to 2 sided. 4. Look at this copy to see if both front and back sides match with each other. If not then adjust accordingly. If they do, repeat #3 using the paper you bought. 5. Punch and cut holes, slots and anything else that is necessary. 6. Take a sewing thingie that has the sharp spiked rolling wheel on it to add the necessary perforations. You can also: 1. Scan both sides. 2. Open MS Word, create a new 2 page doc and set your page properties to 8.5 x 11. Make sure your left and right margins are set the same and check for printable area on your printer for being the same. 3. Insert one of the images in the upper left corner of the first page. 4. Insert the other image in the upper right corner of the second page. 5. Print to a printer that will print both sides. 6. Check for alignment as in # 4 above. If not then adjust accordingly. If ok, 7. Print on colored stock. 8. Follow #5 above. 9. Follow #6 above. If you have a graphics program such as PSP or PS, you can rubberstamp out any imperfections (tears,soil marks or such). Save and then insert into doc. Disclaimer, I'm not resposible for what these instructions can and will be used for. Depending on what is copied and how it is used may be in violation of city, county, state and federal laws. Use at your own risk. These instructions are not intended for illegal purposes.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dante

Dante
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 7:03 pm 
My sister suggested something similar. That's where I got the idea for including counterfeiting as an example for the "other choice". I guess she read something about people counterfeiting season passes for some of the ski areas around here. Those are worth enough to make counterfeiting worthwhile. I am not recommending or condoing this.

JayMar

JayMar
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 4:27 pm 
Thanks for the info Newt and Dante. I am still on the fence as I have yet to get a real ticket. For now I will mooch off all my pass wielding buddies up.gif

Dale

Dale
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 7:22 pm 
I wanted to inform you all that not all "seniors get a free ride." I am 68 years old and as a matter of principle neither my wife(who is considerably older than I am) nor I take advantage of *any* geezer discounts. Not even at the movie or the zoo. Every year I buy the $50 National Park Pass, the $30 Northwest Forest Pass, a State Fishing and Hunting License(I do not hunt or fish but I do occasionally use the ramps to launch my kayak and canoes), the $40 Snow Park Permit. I will never ever apply for the Green Government Checks from the Political Insecurity RipOff or any of the other Welfare State "entitlements" such as Medicare... I am an ardent admirer of Ayn Rand and agree with most of the ideas she expressed in her books including "The Virtue of Selfishness." "In the animal kingdom, the rule is: eat or be eaten; in the human kingdom: define or be defined." Thomas Szasz, libertarian psychiatrist

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 7:56 pm 
So let's say they abolish the Fee Demo Plan. Right now 90% of the % for TM and other services is coming from that revenue stream. Without the 90%, that leaves 10%. Almost nothing, relatively speaking. If they don't replace the revenue stream, you would be totally okay with no more trail, trailhead, or parking lot maintenance? Would that be okay? I hate the Fee Demo BS as much as the next person, but the arguments I see here range to the irrational.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 8:35 pm 
an old friend of mine used to conterfeit proof-of-insurance cards because he couldn't afford auto insurance when washington state made it manditory. i won't describe how he did it but he used a computer and inkjet printer, and a plotter. they were good enough to fool several judges and police officers in many western states.... he even figured out how to print a passable "watermark" image. he is also a very good cnc machinist, and his knowledge of cad programming really helped. he moved to eastern oregon in 1999 and haven't seen him since. harper was the name of the town i think...

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 9:54 pm 
i guess i haven't answered this yet: i bite the bullet and pay for the pass. hopefully, the money will go where it's needed and not buy a donut for president bush.....