Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spring! - that's a matter of opinion
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 20, 2002 6:32 pm 
Admin Note: Some of the initial posts have disappeared. Yes sir, if this here weather continues we's gonna bee hikin low lands for awhile this summer. That or carrying more gear! TB tongue.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Mar 20, 2002 6:37 pm 
Spring is in the mind of the beholder - not to mention the backyard. dizzy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Mar 20, 2002 7:03 pm 
Just lets me know it's still shoein' and skiin' weather. Think I'll gear up and shoooe ooon dooown the roooad. NN biggrin.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Mar 24, 2002 11:12 am 
Did someone say Snowshoe Trail Hiking and Ice Ax Fishing this year? <grin>.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Mar 24, 2002 3:37 pm 
cool.gif On the bright side the snow keeps down the bad brush and rhe hoards of newbie hikers that will be following "Hidden Hikes" up to pristine lakes. Just take an axe. We went up index fron the North Fork once by a route that would be impossible most years.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Mar 24, 2002 3:42 pm 
Those birds are just singin' and singin' outside! At least it sounds like spring! suuure.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Mar 24, 2002 4:26 pm 
Anyone know how the avy danger is? I'm thinking of maybe getting out tomorrow...

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slosh E.O. Path

Slosh E.O. Path
PostSun Mar 24, 2002 10:01 pm 
Hey Allison, the snow is wet down low. Sloshing down the ol' path. the avy conditions were relatively tame on the relatively tame route up Mutton Mountain today. Forecast was moderate to low. There has been considerable settlement since last weekend. The snow conditions are not spectacularly good though. It wasn't until up at 4700' that we had drier conditions. Underneath was a decent crust. We never ran into anything deeper than 12" all day, except very low. That may be the worst part -- below 3500'. Suggest getting as high as possible to get the best snow. Heading up McCausland (Smithbrook Rd) tomorrow. If you need more data, can provide tomorrow evening. If not, have a great trip! Sincerely, Mssr. Sociopathic Schitzo Name-Of-The-Day

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Mar 25, 2002 2:45 pm 
Allison, I'm sure you're already out there, but weather's beautiful in town while it looks pretty dreary over the hills. Hopefully there are plenty of blue holes over you that I can't see from here!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Mar 25, 2002 3:59 pm 
Just got back from a weekend at Saddle, and it didn't really feel like spring until yesterday. Sat temps stayed low and the low, battleship grey skies and large amounts of fog/haze combined with a few remaining patches of snow to kind of put a cold feel on the day. Flowers are late this year, no sign of blooming yet even on the dry side. Sat nite brought the first actual rain I've ever seen in 5 years of trips to Saddle, followed by a cloudy misty morning. However, by late afternoon the sun was out and the temps were at least 10 degrees higher than the previous day, so that added a little more springlike atmosphere. Headed west into a gorgeous sunset for the trip home, Ellensburg had clear skies and I was looking forwards to a mellow trip over the pass under starry skies, but in Easton ran into dreary reality and pretty damned heavy rainstorm which persisted until well after North Bend.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Sloshio Path

Sloshio Path
PostMon Mar 25, 2002 9:15 pm 
Wow, the snow conditions on Smithbrook Rd were arduous with a capital A. Two feet of wet fluff that was difficult to plow through with snowshoes. Some parties this weekend had broken trail to the upper switchback, so we took that route instead of the preferred off-trail snowshoe heaven below the road. Then we slogged our way to the PCT up above Valhalla Lake. Took hours in the heavy snow! Fortunately, some was blown off the ridge to Mt McCausland. Hmmm... shoulda posted this in Tail Retorts, but was thinking of avy conditions and got carried away. Fatigue affecting brain. Legs feel like rubber. Avy conditions reasonable... lots of slides, some over Smithbrook Rd. Looked to be at least before Sunday though. Pretty stable up high. Temps dropping, will probably crust over but that deep springy layer below will sap energy. Not the best conditions but hope you have fun anyway.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Mar 25, 2002 10:01 pm 
That musta been a fun hike. Coming back across Srevens Pass about 2:00pm Sunday, the fog was so thick you couldn't see across the road. Wenatchee had been like Saddle Mtn, cold Saturday, t-shirt weather Sunday. Same deal on flowers: grass flowers and a few buttercups in Moses Coulee, nothing else. Enormous amounts of snow in Snoqualmie Pass going over, but Blewett and the Teanaway might open up pretty early.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Sloshed

Sloshed
PostMon Mar 25, 2002 10:23 pm 
Hey Scrooge, I forgot to mention that the sun was out! Glorious, wonderful sun. Well, the clouds stopped by a few times to say hi, and obscured Glass Ear Pika (el. 10.6k') from view for a spell. But the mighty volcano showed her face before we left the summit. Sure beat Sunday's whiteout conditions down by Mt Reindeer on Mutton Mt. Hmmm. I detect an "animal" weekend... sure beats that lame geometry weekend of a week ago. BTW, although avy conditions were ok on our route, Steve's Pass had a couple 'lanches on the road as we skedaddled homebound. They were cleaning one that spread a foot-deep across the highway as we passed by about 5:45pm. Beeee carful! If not carful (which saves gas), be careful (which saves lives). clown.gif

mtnrider

mtnrider
PostSun Mar 31, 2002 5:47 pm 
Has anyone seen the first trillium yet? I keep track every year here in the lowlands near Arlington. Nothing yet and several weeks later than usual.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Mar 31, 2002 6:04 pm 
Haven't seen the first trillium but saw the first hummingbird this morning. Scunk cabbage is out also. I look for the swallows also as a sign of spring.