Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Chiwawa Rv Bridge- help fill in a strange blank
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Jun 28, 2003 7:05 pm 
I had received verbal information that the old bridge leading into the Maple Cr Campground on the Chiwawa Rv (and the campground itself), were washed out in floods in 1972. However I just read in an old magazine (printed in 1972) that a new bridge over the Chiwawa was awaiting finishing touches. So either the bridge and campground were washed out prior to the finishing touches on the bridge in 1972, or the date of washout I have is incorrect. I had assumed the washout was a result of high snow-pack - at least that's the year Mt. Rainier was slammed with 1,200 inches. I know the campground is a wreck - huge boulders strewn everywhere, and the cement bridge remains lay on shore like toys. It certainly wasn't a sissy bridge, so that flood must've been pretty amazing. Does anyone know about this bridge/campground washout? I have asked this board before, I think - but several new folks might be able to help. I'm almost afraid to go to the Suzzallo to determine when it disappeared from maps - I'm afraid spend the rest of my life down in that wonderful basement. Plus maps won't tell me stories.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostMon Jul 07, 2003 3:38 pm 
Quark, I thought I might be able to help with this since I grew up camping along the Chiwawa River road, on Chikamin Creek. But for the life of me I cannot recall the story on this. If I were I would try contacting the Leavenworth Ranger Station and asking them the same question. It might be easier than going to Suzzalo. Good luck, Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message