Forum Index > Gear Talk > Bleach? - does it kill the bad stuff
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 3:20 pm 
I was chatting with my friend Brent the other night and I mentioned that I was just TIRED of carrying a one pound water filter. Now I am not sure if I have an iron stomach like Stefan, so I need to clean my water somehow. Brent said that he was using bleach these days. His claim was that that's what the military guys use in the field, 2 drops per quart, and wait 10 minutes for the bleach to do its work. Seems to me an elegant lightweight solution that costs NOTHING and weighs NOTHING, and there's chlorine in the city water supply so it's not like you'd really notice the flavor like iodine, which tastes hurl.gif to me. I don't even like iodine in my salt. So, bleach sounds like a great water purification tool when you're pretty sure you won't have to deal with the silt problem (I hate eating dirt!), now, does anyone have reliable information as to whether or not it kills giardia and crypto?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 3:24 pm 
What the heck is wrong with a one pound water filter when your pack only weighs 25 pounds? eek.gif smile.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 3:32 pm 
If I can shave off a pound, well, that's a flask of whiskey and a deck of cards I can carry instead. cool.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 4:04 pm 
I've heard the bleach advice is solid. There should be a site on it somewhere, I'd be surprised if the magazines with purchasing guides for water purification don't discuss this option. I'll bet REI has a FAQ on it. rolleyes.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 4:08 pm 
After suffering through a nasty bout of food poisining this weekend, I'm not sure I'd want to roll the dice. I can't imagine giardia is more pleasant than what I just experienced, so I'll happily carry my 18 oz. purifier without complaint this summer. I've never tried iodine, but I think bleach wouldn't taste great either. Here's a link you might want to check out. http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/faq/emerg.html

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 5:11 pm 
Allison, the product specs said 15 oz. which didn't seem to be much heavier than the rest, particularly since it was a purifier. The digital scale doesn't lie though... 18.0 oz mad.gif. I emailed First Need to complain and got some BS response from customer service. I hate manufacturers that flat out lie about weights.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 6:44 pm 
Yeah, that was before I got my scale or realized they had a scale in the tent section of the downtown REI store. I would have returned the filter if I hadn't cut off the silly 1/2 oz. filter cap among other modifications I made to the filter to allow it to connect to my narrow mouth platypus. After getting my scale I don't trust manufacturer weights. Only one of my items has actually come in under the stated weight. 1-2 ounces heavier is the norm.

Phil Tear

Phil Tear
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 7:33 pm 
Get some Aqua Mira drops, mix 7 drops part A to 7 drops part B per liter. Tasteless, light weight, kills the buggers.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Damian

Damian
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 7:46 pm 
Allison- Been using iodine so long I can't remember why I switched. Both are fine with me though bleach is much cheeper, to be sure. I like filtered water but all that clap trap, unreliability, and effort ain't worth it for this lazy bum. And you know what a stickler I am about weight...

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 7:50 pm 
Guest wrote:
What the heck is wrong with a one pound water filter when your pack only weighs 25 pounds? eek.gif smile.gif
Randy, Randy, Randy, this is slippery slopedness which ends with you looking like the traveling salesman that can outfit someone's new kitchen, sink included. rolleyes.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 8:20 pm 
Like Damian said, learn to love iodine. Cheap, dependable, and that little bottle of pills is COVENIENT - and light. smile.gif And like scotch and cilantro, it's an acquired taste, but worth it.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 8:48 pm 
Allison, I have used the bleach method before, but prefer to bring a 15oz filter to have no funny tastes in the H2O. The procedure is 2-3 drops of household bleach per quart of water and then waiting a half hour. The amount of bleach should be doubled if water is cloudy of questionable. To eliminate that lovely swimming pool taste fill a bottle half way with the chlorinated water and shake vigorously for a while. The chlorine molecules will make their way into the air, giving you better tasting H2O(repeat if necessary). Also note that bleach has a shelf life. After about 6 months its effectiveness diminishes and amounts should be increased or new bleach be obtained.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 9:11 pm 
The bleach is not as effective against cryptosporidium as other organisms. Those are the words of an infectious disease MD who I work with. In the NW this might not be such a big problem but if you are hiking in the SW or states where much of the watershed might drain cattle grazing areas then a purifier might be the way to go. I use a purifier for lake water but more often then not just drink a little upstream from Stefan. In other parts of the country I use iodine tablets.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 9:14 pm 
After 30 minutes of contact Iodine will kill 50%-90% of giardia cysts (depending on water conditions) 100% kill rate after 8 hours. Chlorine bleach is ineffective with a near 0% kill rate after 30 minutes and about 50% after 8 hours. Raising water temp to 70°C for 10 minutes will result in 100% kill rate. http://www.pcta.org/plan/water_treat.shtml

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 9:14 pm 
Damian, I figured the weight issue would keep you from carrying a filter. I know when you get into the 60-70# range it can be a serious consideration. Need to leave room for the bottle of wine! Iodine is NOT an option. As I mentioned I hate the taste of it enough to notice it in salt. I may end up doing the AquaMira though it's pricey. Haven't decided on that yet. Brian, I justr criused through the study at the link you posted. That's just the kind of information I was looking for. I just wished they'd tested the Aqua Mira stuff for efficacy. Mike, I like your idea of staying upstream of Stef. Good ideer. And Randy, LISTEN to our friend polarbear. He speaks the gospel truth about how to keep the pack weight down. It takes a lot of DISCIPLINE to go light without sacrificing comfort.