Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mount St. Helens in Winter? - Anyone done it?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
C Dog

C Dog
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 11:29 pm 
I climbed up Mount St. Helens this summer. LOVED it, what an experience! (One of my favorite pictures from my site is the panorama I got from the summit.) I'd like to know if anyone has done it in the winter... I bet it would just be spectacular! Is skiing down a possibility? Plus, there's no charge for climbing permits until March 31st. wink.gif

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 11:30 pm 
Wow, very nice shot. That place makes for VERY fun and VERY fast motorcycle riding in the summer!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 11:54 pm 
That dome has gotten bigger since I was up there 5+ years ago. Is it growing?

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 12:11 am 
Mt St helens is very do-able in the winter, with the right precautions. The Swift Ski trail is the only way to go up which leaves from Marblemount. The best thing to do is camp somewhere near timberline, or at the cabin that is there at the parking lot, which I have done twice (not supposed to) see my first attempt report from May Click Here . It is a long slog from Marblemount as you have to trek in on a pretty flat trail that cross country folk enjoy this time of year, as well as snowmobilers. Once above timberline you pretty much shoot for the summit, as you may have to traverse left a little, but it actually parallels the Climbers Bivouac trail a little. My friend John just climbed it 2 weeks ago via this route and they camped right above Timberline and had a short summit day, so that might be the right idea. Make sure to watch for avalanche conditions, that darn south slope can get nasty since it just got rained on this week, so a fresh layer of snow would make bad ju-ju. Hope this helps.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 2:06 am 
Err, don't you mean Cougar? Marblemount would be a loooong ski to St. Helens...

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 2:16 pm 
There is a Marblemount that is at the base of St Helens (not the one off of Hwy 20), but I was wrong in the spelling. It is Marble Mountain Sno-Park. Here is a current update: Climbers should expect full winter conditions on Mount St. Helens. Snow depth at Marble Mountain Sno*Park is approximately 3 to 4 feet. At timberline, snow depth is 4 to 6 feet. Above timberline snow depth is variable due to wind blown conditions. Rapidly changing temperatures may result in highly variable snow conditions, and ice. Snowshoes with cleats or skis with climbing skins are currently recommended to climb Mount St. Helens. It is also recommended that climbers have, and know how to use an ice axe and crampons. Climbers should be prepared for extreme weather and rapidly changing conditions. Currently, skiing and snowboarding conditions are generally fair to good on the slopes of Mount St. Helens. To reduce your exposure to avalanche potential, avoid cornices, snow loaded slopes and gully bottoms. Currently, the Worm Flows Climbing Route, from Marble Mountain Sno*Park, is the most direct route to the summit of Mount St. Helens. Use the Swift Ski Trail, #244 to reach timberline. Cross to the west side of Swift Creek, just above Chocolate Falls (elev. 3,700’). Follow ridges and open slopes to the crater rim. Wooden route marking posts guide climbers from timberline to approximately 4,800’ elevation. Round trip distance is approximately 12 miles, round trip time is 10 to 12 hours, elevation gain is 5,600 feet. ROAD ACCESS AND PARKING: (1/2/2002) Marble Mountain Sno*Park is located at 2,700’ elevation on Forest Road 83, 30 minutes northeast of Cougar, WA. Although Forest Road 83 is plowed, carry tire chains and be prepared for icy or snowy roads. Please park according to posted instructions. The Monitor Ridge route is not recommended at this time as Forest Roads 81 and 830 to Climbers Bivouac are blocked by snow and gated at the intersection of FR 81 and 83. A Sno*Park Permit is required to park at Marble Mountain Sno*Park and Cougar Sno*Park. Sno*Park Permits cost $9 per day or $21 per year per vehicle, and can be purchased at Jack’s as well as other area businesses. PERMITS, FEES AND REGISTRATION: (1/2/2002) Climbing permits are required for each person above 4,800 feet elevation on the slopes of Mount St. Helens. Climbing Permits are free and available by self-issue 24 hours a day at the Climbers Register. The Climbers Register is located at Jack's Restaurant & Store, which is 23 mile east of Woodland WA on State Route 503. Please sign in and sign out at the register outside of Jack's. Starting April 1, the $15 Climbing Permit fee will resume. Starting May 15, climbing is limited to 100 persons per day. Climbing permits may be reserved in person or by mail. For permit information call 360-449-7861 or see our web page for reservation information and materials. ADDTIONAL SOURCES OF INFORMATION: (11/1/2001) Climbing Information (360)247-3961 General Mounument Information (360)247-3900 Avalanche Information and Forecast (503)808-2400 For current weather information (360)694-6136 or (503) 261-9246 Jack's Restaurant & Store (360)231-4276

spanky

spanky
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 7:54 pm 
I XC skied out of Marble Mtn Sno Park in early April one time. Never again. Warning: there were a whole hell of a lot of snowmobiles! Over a 100. Their trailers took up a lot of parking space. The air reeked of exhaust and a blue haze hung in the air all day. We could hear their engines until 9 pm and again a 7 am from the lava field up above June Lake. Love em or hate em, this is what i saw.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Feb 15, 2002 1:04 pm 
This wasn't exactly WINTER, but it had some elements in common with a winter trip. A group of friends and I climbed Mt. St. Helens in early May of last year on the last weekend to do so before reservations were required. We arrived in Cougar Friday evening (and stayed up too late drinking) then got up at 5:15, got our permits, ate breakfast and drove as far as we could before snow closed the road, elevation 2900’. We decided to give the Monitor Ridge route a try, even though it meant walking 3 miles on the road to Climber’s Bivouac. It was here I noticed that I had forgotten my gaiters, dammit, but luckily someone else had a crappy old pair of shorties that I used. We hit the road/trail at 7:45 AM and got to the real trailhead after about an hour, elevation 3900’. The next two miles were also on snow but we were in the trees and the shade they provided felt good, since it was a warm day. We then started the serious climb when we broke out above treeline at about 9:30. The tread was good for the most part but it was sunny and warm, so occasionally the steps kicked in would give out and the dirty words flew. We didn't bother to bring ice axes, snowshoes or crampons. Some others on this route tried snowshoes but quickly put them away because they weren't needed. We began seeing people who had summitted earlier skiing and snowboarding down. At lunch break the wind really picked up making it very cold and hard to even stand up at times. We finally reached the summit (8365’) at 1:35 PM, enjoyed the vista and tried to stay out of the wind. We saw a lot of others there, the vast majority had climbed using the Worm Flows route. We took some pictures, ate, and left after about an hour at the summit. The trip down was a lot more fun as we were able to glissade. We made it back to the cars at about 5:00, tired as hell (something like 17 miles, 5500’ elevation gained round trip) but glad we did it. smile.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?