Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snoqualmie Mtn, Cave Ridge, Guye Peak (7/12/03)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 12:29 am 
The weather was looking iffy this weekend so I decided to take a day trip up to Snoqualmie Mtn and scope out Grebeci Lake snow conditions. Left the house at 9AM and was on the trail by 10. Made quick work up the trail and was on top by Noon. A quick scan with the binoculars revealed Grebeci to be snow free (with some snow remaining on the steep slopes) and lots of water coming down the waterfall. Was joined by 3 other parties during the 2 hours I lounged on the summit. Bugs were not bad at all up top, but I did get a couple bites on the way up. Curse those biting flies. mad.gif Being out of shape, I wanted to get a workout and so opted for a steep cross country descent to check out Cave Ridge. In case anyone is wondering, the ponds on Cave Ridge look better from a distance. However, the caves are way kewl! This newbie knew better than to go down any of them. From Cave Ridge I decided to head down and over to Guye Peak. The brushy descent was steeper than I had bargained for but eventually I intersected with a path leading up to Guye. Upon reaching the first bump at the top I had quite a bit of vertigo. I'm guessing there's probably a non-technical way to reach the true summit but since it had started to rain I decided this wouldn't be the best day for scrambling slippery exposed rock. chicken.gif Snapped a few picutures and was back at the car by 6PM.
Grebeci Lake From Snoqualmie Mtn
Grebeci Lake From Snoqualmie Mtn

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 2:11 am 
Kewl picture as well. How tall are the falls?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 2:41 am 
Sounds like a cool trip. Cave ridge is a sweet place, the limestone geology results in all manner of weird topography, sinkholes, fluted outcroppings cut by rainwater, and flats in unusual places, in addition to all the caves. Newton cave is the 13th deepest cave in the nation, at around -550 feet below the entrance at the bottom, in three rope drops. Red cave at the SE side of Cave Ridge is a safe walk-in, but it's not very big, about 250 feet of linear passage if I remember correctly. The caves are not long by national standards, and contain no formations such as stalactites or stalagmites, but do have lots of really cool banded marble walls. The longest cave on the ridge is Cascade cave at around 1800' feet of passage and about -260 at it's lowest point, in a really neat tall room with a waterfall (really a small trickle, but it's cool) free falling from the center of the ceiling. Cascade is on a flat on the W end of the ridge overlooking Alpental, it's also about 100 feet E of Lookout Cave. The entrance to Cascade is a creepy tight, steeply dropping crawl you do headfirst. However cool they are, some of these caves are extremely treacherous and one (Hellhole) could be outright deadly. Lookout's entrance has a steep 80 foot chimney you must get down, Newton has a 15 foot ledge hidden right inside the entrance, Danger has a 40 foot drop near the entrance, and Hellhole's entrance is vertical squeeze about 2 feet on a side, into a 66' free fall from the center of the ceiling of it's entrance room If anyone is interested in exploring them, they need to read up and then go with experienced folks the first few times. If you want info, PM me. I've done Cascade, Newton, Prospectors, Clarks, Red, and Hellhole.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Karen

Karen
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 9:25 am 
Several years ago I ventured into one of the caves with a couple of friends, one of them an experienced caver. It was one of the most interesting experiences I've had. I can't remember the name of the cave we went into but it was a "non technical" cave, at least as far as getting inside. We didn't need ropes and there wasn't a dangerous ledge inside. But it WAS a tight squeeze. Good thing I'm not claustrophobic. It's a strange feeling to be scrambling INSIDE a mountain. It's surprisingly chilly inside a cave -- we wore overalls (the kind mechanics wear) and only carried fanny packs. You have to be narrow to get through the cave. If you are fat, don't even try it. We carried plenty of back-up lights/lanterns, etc. You simply cannot afford to be in the dark because it is truly dark. You don't even know the meaning of the word DARK until you experience something like this. After we explored the cave we came out and topped off the day by climbing Guye Peak. A day of being inside and outside the mountain. Fun day. Wish I could remember the name of the cave. I'm not even sure I could find it again. And I agree -- this is not an activity for a novice. Our friend was a professional spelunker -- and this is what you need to start out on such a venture. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 11:12 am 
Sounds like you probably did Cascade, there are only two up there with squeeze entrances and if you were in for more than half an hour, it would have to be that one.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 11:45 am 
polarbear wrote:
How tall are the falls?
I'm not sure but from the topo map I'd guess at least 500'. Anyone wanna do a 3 day next weekend and find out? Time's a wasting. biggrin.gif From the picture is looks like you might be able to navigate the brush on the right to get down from Grebeci but it could be an optical illusion. The topo kind of shows something too if you have a creative imagination. Randy's been telling me it's futile.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 1:20 pm 
I've been down that way, the right side of the falls as you face the picture. It was NOT fun.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 1:57 pm 
I have monday off, but this sounds more than a monday trip, or is it?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 2:48 pm 
Polarbear, I was thinking about next weekend or the next. 3 day minimum. Limited party size. I'm more interested in checking out Taocrevo Lake than getting down to the bottom of the waterfall. Ideal trip would be a one way from Mineral Creek to the MFK (Spectacle Lake approach would be nice but adds too much time and elevation gain). This is the last year this will be possible since they are gating MFK. Need to arrange MFK shuttle service, anyone? biggrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 4:46 pm 
Damn, Thomas, what lake is that in the picture? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 5:18 pm 
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif I thought it was obvious, or should I say suoivbo? BPJ, I'll trade you for shuttle service up the MFK. winksmile.gif

PostSun Jul 13, 2003 5:29 pm 
not to nitpick, but in the tradition of repoR, it would be grebecI. biggrin.gif I've been on Snoqualmie Mt, but eventally I missed this view. Unbelievable looking setting. up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 5:30 pm 
Smart guy! What the hell is a Grebeci Lake? Ive never heard of that in the ALWA! When do you need the ride? AND, when in heck are you going to buy yourself a T R A I L vehicle Thomas? You have TWO empty garage spaces just waiting for you Mr.. There are so many rigs out there that would suit you. Next year '04 Ford will be selling a gas/electric Escape hybrid. Now, here will be a four seat suv at 28mpg! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 5:41 pm 
polarbear's guide to smart buying
Quote:
Next year '04 Ford will be selling a gas/electric Escape hybrid
The wise buyer will wait for BPJ to buy the Ford hybrid and then buy whatever BPJ is getting rid of. lol.gif

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 5:43 pm 
Grebeci, where does the word come from and who was it named after?