Forum Index > Gear Talk > Mapping Software
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 26, 2001 3:34 pm 
Salish sent me an email asking about mapping software, so I thought I'd resurrect another lost topic. Hello Tom, I was looking at your web site. Curious about the software you used for this picture. Was it from Maptech or one of the other map software packages available to everyone? I've never gotten into those programs, but I could see where having that 3D view with corresponding topo features would really come in handy. Can you please tell me what you used? Thanks much. Salish Hi Salish, that map was created with Delorme 3D Topo Quads. The software is a few years old, kinda buggy, and the USGS 7.5 Quad scans are relatively poor quality, so I don't generally recommend it. I paid $90. Delorme has a new version out called Topo USA 3.0 (click here for info & samples). The Pacific West Regional Edition includes Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska, and Hawaii. Costco sells it for $40. That's a pretty good price for the 3D view. It doesn't include the USGS Quads (which again were poorly scanned by Delorme so no big loss), but looks superior to 3D Topo Quads in all other respects with some key improvements. For the price, you may want to check it out at Costco. You can always return it. If you want the USGS 7.5 Quads and 3D view, I'd consider Map Tech's 3D terrain navigator (sells for about $130 for Washington & Oregon). There is a demo at Map Tech's website. Either that or you could get the 3D Delorme software at Costco and supplement it with the very popular National Geographic Topo! series (sells for about $90). BTW, here's a great place to buy mapping software online and compare features... http://www.4x4books.com/maps.htm

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Dec 26, 2001 4:13 pm 
The TOPO USA product is amazing in one respect, you can rotate the view almost 360 degrees, and change the angle of view through at least 45 degrees. Unfortunately, the topography is not so good. They display a 20' contour interval but, in fact, that's just interpolated from a small scale map with much bigger contour intervals, so you lose cliffs and steep slopes that you'ld need to be aware of for route planning. It's still fun to play with - but it is just a very nice toy.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Dec 26, 2001 7:05 pm 
From the little time I've played with the Maptech software (the demo off their website), if you're looking for 3d rendering, the Maptech package is by far the best one out there. Delorme's stuff has done nothing but infuriate me. Buggy as hell and a very unfriendly interface. No way of listing waypoints or location flags or whatever (that I could see at least). Plus, the Topo USA version uses vector graphics to draw the maps. If you're gonna go with Delorme, at least get the state versions (IMHO wink.gif ). I like the Wildflower / Nat'l Geo. the best, simply because the waypoint system is stellar. I don't need the 3d rendering, but I'd use it if I had it, but I need the waypoint organization much more than the 3d stuff.

salish

salish
PostThu Dec 27, 2001 8:41 am 
Thanks Tom, for posting this. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Regards, Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 27, 2001 12:50 pm 
You're welcome Salish. As far as the 3D functionality, it's more than just a toy. 1) Sure, you wouldn't want to use it as your only navigation tool, but it certainly helps, no doubt about it. 2) It's great for hike narratives. It's really fun to home from a hike, plot my GPS tracked patch on the software, and see it in 3D view. I've been too lazy to include the 3D maps in some of my more recent hike narratives and I was surprised when folks requested to see them after the fact. 3) It's great for landmark identification. A lot of times I'll have unidentified peaks in pictures. The 3D software does amazingly well in this respect, particularly if you can get it to render from the general vicinity the picture was taken. It's a little clunky to get it to do so, but I've found this invaluable.