Forum Index > Trail Talk > What do you drive to get there?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 7:59 pm 
Dante's got the right idea. I nice LOW key 4runner. 1984 or 1985 straight axle go anywhere turbo tuff truck. Like this:

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtnrider

mtnrider
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 1:18 am 
For years I drove a 1970 VW Van. Went every where. Passed 4X4s. Not much power of course. You could sleep in it, etc. I loved that rig but it finally gave up the ghost.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 11:23 am 
Quote:
Dante's got the right idea. I nice LOW key 4runner. 1984 or 1985 straight axle go anywhere turbo tuff truck. Like this:
That truck looks like overkill to me, Tom. I'll probably also trade the straight front axle for a newer (more reliable) bone stock base model (fewer gizmos to break) 4Runner. The main reason I prefer the 4Runner over an old Subaru is comfort. I've been up to the end of the Middle Fork in all sorts of vehicles and have concluded you can get there faster and in more comfort in a truck or SUV. I think an old 4Runner will also be more useful for runs to the dump and home-and-garden store. mtnrider, Tom or his dad used to have a really cool VW bus with a positraction rear end. What ever happened to that Tom?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 12:30 pm 
1971 westfalia camper. Fatory limited slip rear end. 1880 kit in it with dual webbers. Had the factory aux heater in it too. That thing fed from the gas tank and had its exhaust routed outside. Man that rig rocked. Trouble was it would NEVER pass emissions! Hey Dante, that 1985 straight axle 4runner is WAY stronger and more reliable than that bloody independant front end! Besides you can take the top off in the summer and run around ahla convertable. The kids would love that! Take out the seats and Herculine the interior behind the driver pax seats. Put in the seats and youve got a bomb proof interior that you could use for dump hauling without the seats too!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostFri Apr 05, 2002 2:48 pm 
I'm postponing the 4-Runner purchase. It turns out VW makes a metal skid plate ("engine protection grille") for my car. It will still scrape, but I won't have to worry about bashing a hole in the aluminum oil pan anymore biggrin.gif