Forum Index > Trail Talk > Whats in your high-lake tackle box?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostTue Mar 12, 2002 10:38 pm 
Benjamin, I called both Smiley Faces -the one in Lynnwood and the other in Auburn and the kids who work in the fishing department have never heard of these lures. Think maybe I am still screwing up on the name of the outfit? It's not surprising; I failed the block test in the 3rd grade. I know who carries them in Everett, though, and unless I can figure out something around here I'll pick one up when I'm up north this weekend. Thanks. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostTue Mar 12, 2002 10:50 pm 
Salish, I know the Lynnwood location had them about 2 weeks ago. They were not with the rest of the tackle, but on the end of an isle. I am sure that the kids working in the fishing department get paid minimum wage and work in all departments. I would not expect them to know, but I guess it was worth a shot!

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed Mar 13, 2002 11:28 am 
I'm a fly fisherman wanna-be, got a rod and reel and stuff, but I haven't spent much time learning to cast and use the gear-It looks like a heck of a lot of fun-I really don't know how many more or bigger fish than I already do but I need to learn how to do it. You guys who flyfish do inspire me.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
salish

salish
PostWed Mar 13, 2002 4:33 pm 
Thanks Benjamin. I was thinking the same thing - kind of like buying stuff at Big 5's. Sometimes the staff is a touch incompetent or sometimes overworked by a zealous young manager. I'll check the place out anyway. Keiko: anytime you need to know more about fly fishing or casting drop me a line - you've got my email address. I'm not very good at it, but I love it. Maybe we could hook up this summer and fish the lower Yak or a lake near you. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 8:41 am 
Cliff-I'd like to do that sometime-I think if I could figure out the basic mechanics I'd be on the right path--but what I do out in my yard and what those guys do on TV or in the Yakima for that matter doesn't look anything like what I'm doing.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
salish

salish
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 12:02 pm 
Keiko, there are some really decent books and pamphlets around for teaching casting techniques, but I would point you in the direction of www.flyshop.com (the virtual fly shop). This web page has an incredible amount of information for beginners and experts alike, including diagrams and even mpg files for fly tying and casting. Also, you can take an old spinning rod and use the tip section to play games with your house cat, if you have one. Tie 6ft of mono to the tip with a piece of yarn on the end. It is amazingly similar to fly casting. In fact, I think Joan Wulff or somebody once marketed a casting practice tool just like this. Also, if I remember correctly, you are somewhere near the Tieton River & Oak Creek? You can take your fly rod down there and practice casting - without a fly if it's out of season (be sure to check with WDFW on the legalities of this). I've been meaning to fish the Tieton myself for years but every time I get over there it's chukar season and the river usually closes Oct. 31st. In my opinion, the best way to learn is to just get out and start flailing the water. Lastly, there are lot's of folks who go to a local fly shop and purchase an hour's worth of casting lessons. I've heard that's a great way to start off. There's a great fly shop in Yakima that many consider the real experts on the Yakima R., but I can't remember the name right now. Maybe it's "The Evening Hatch", or something like that. They would be very helpful in giving you some casting tips and/or lessons. Drop me a line at home if you have any questions. Cliff

nitpacker

nitpacker
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 12:59 pm 
I once caught eight straight trout on eight casts using a super duper. I fished it slow and along the bottom.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 1:30 pm 
The whole trick to flycasting is *timing*. The most common problem I've seen with beginners is that they do not wait long enough on each stroke, for the line to straighten out and load up the rod tip. 99% percent of the energy for casting comes from the rod bending from the line loading it, while the hand holding the rod is held absolutely still. Your wrist should not move during this time, holding the rod stationary is what allows it to build spring energy from the line bending it. Once the line is laid out in the air and the rod tip is loaded as far as it will go, *that's* when you reverse. Believe it or not, the more line you have out the *slower* each stroke is, because you must wait for it to load the rod as described. If you're having trouble casting during practice, try slowing down a little. It's really quite a bit more leisurely than you'd expect. You can feel the rod reaching maximum loading if you pay attention. As the line flies past the stopped rod tip, it will begin to straighten as the loop unrolls, you will feel the pull build and build, and all of a sudden, nothing. You must reverse right at the peak of the tension, which is tricky, but once you know what to look for you'll get the hang of it. If you're "cracking the whip", you are not waiting long enough! The other thing is, until you have a bit of pratice *watch* the line at all times, both forwards and backwards, so you get a feel for how the rod feels at the same time you are watching the line. Once you have a bit of experience, then you can go by feeling the rod loading, and not pay as much attention except maybe to verify you're not going to get hung up on a bush during a backstroke. Hope this helps, my casting when I started off was terrible until I realized these few simple things, hold the rod firmly at each stop, wait for the line to straighten out, slow down, and watch!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 2:58 pm 
Cliff- Cool site....I learned more about basic casting that I had read or seen anywhere-but you're right I need to get out a flail the water...I got a picture I'm going to try to send you of a walleye my brother caught in the Columbia-he thinks it'll be a national catch and release record and Washington record-it weighed 18 lbs., 10 ounces. He fishes the walleye tournament circuit on the Columbia and in WA-he occasionally does pretty well.