Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > secret places
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treewalker

treewalker
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 2:57 pm 
OK, I've read a little in other threads about certain "secret" places out there that aren't labeled on any map and are off the trail and only a few people know how to get to. I understand the importance to keeping these places secret and preventing the public from destroying them by overuse. At the same time, I am powerfully drawn to wanting to visit these places... The allure of the wilds being even more so when the goal is hidden. Maybe there should be a database with details of all the secret places established, and then people should bid on getting access to certain destinations based on general descriptions of how cool they are, without giving them away. Any funds which were collected would then be donated to wildlife preservation. I know I'd bid $250 or so for the right off trail experience. Anyone think this is a good idea? J

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 3:00 pm 
Wow! $250! Guess I could never win! eek.gif

treewalker

treewalker
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 3:01 pm 
catwoman wrote:
Wow! $250! Guess I could never win! eek.gif
That's really not that much... certain guides charge into the thousands to lead partys on certain adventure type treks....

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 3:06 pm 
Not much?! Maybe not to you.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 3:10 pm 
I think the consensus you'll find here, from those that visit these places, is that there's nothing preventing you from finding your own way without someone spelling out all the details for you. Find a map and go somewhere there's no trail and often those will be pretty sweet spots. After all, that's how most everyone else has had to do it.

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 3:16 pm 
Randy wrote:
I think the consensus you'll find here, from those that visit these places, is that there's nothing preventing you from finding your own way without someone spelling out all the details for you. Find a map and go somewhere there's no trail and often those will be pretty sweet spots. After all, that's how most everyone else has had to do it.
I will bite my tongue. mum.gif

greedy

greedy
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 3:23 pm 
bid is $250.00 by the man that walks like a tree. Do I hear $300.00..

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 3:42 pm 
Not a good idea. Now let's talk about something really worthwhile like is Freddy Garcia going to be rocked around again tonight!!!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 3:47 pm 
Yeah, Randy's right. The database is topo and terraserver. If you develop good map reading and navigation skilz you don't need anyone's help. That's why I don't go to any of these places. suuure.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 3:57 pm 
catwoman wrote:
Randy wrote:
I will bite my tongue. mum.gif
Why's that, Cat? Sure, people also exchange information on these so-called "secret" spots, but as one of the guilty parties, I've never gotten SO much information on such a place that it didn't take a fair bit of know-how to get there anyway...so whatcha mean, eh?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 5:14 pm 
Randy is right on. Go pull out a map, find an interesting looking spot and go there. That's what I do. I love the challenge of route finding and the anticipation of not knowing exactly what I'll find. If someone tells you about it it isn't a secret and it isn't nearly as fun.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
paps

paps
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 5:18 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Go pull out a map, find an interesting looking spot and go there. That's what I do.
so that is how you got started travelling cross country?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 5:27 pm 
MooseAndSquirrel wrote:
Not a good idea. Now let's talk about something really worthwhile like is Freddy Garcia going to be rocked around again tonight!!!
Well despite giving up two gopher balls already he's made it through 5 - luckily they were solo shots. Where's the offence?

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 5:41 pm 
paps wrote:
so that is how you got started travelling cross country?
I've been traveling cross country since before I was old enough to remember. I learned from my dad and that's how he did it. All you need are a map, altimeter, and compass and all the secrets are yours.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 5:46 pm 
A OLD, (mid sixties), buddy of mine was in yesterday and we were talking about just this subject. I mentioned that I was thinking of visiting an area somewhere in the upper end of the Icicle that looked like it might have some small tarns on a plateau that don't show on the green trails maps. I described exactly where I was thinking of going and the JERK smiles and says " Yeah, that is a cool place, spent last week up there". He said that when he got to the tarns he found an old fire ring with a tree growing up through the middle of it. He saw no one the entire week. It took him two days just to get safely back to a trail. Finding these great places is easy, getting there and back safely is a whole different story. Be careful !