Forum Index > Pacific NW History > The Mysterious Comet Mine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostThu Aug 14, 2003 10:54 pm 
Yep, CampTrails got me all worked up by the mention of the Comet in the Troublesome Creek thread ... I've been meaning -- for quite a while -- to post regarding this "towering above others" mine location. Maybe it's the great stories ... maybe it's fact that it takes care/caution to get there (without doing some unintentional gully-sliding on loose rock). But I would be most grateful if anyone who has either visited this site or has attempted to visit it would post about their adventure. As I stated in the other thread, I now know where the bunker ledge is, but do not know exactly where the adit is. One reference says it's collapsed, one reference says only 600' of the original tunnel remains. The adit can't be more than a good stone's throw from the bunker ledge, however. I will post some pics/maps/route descriptions (from other sources) and hope someone else will fill in more of the puzzle, hopefully from firsthand experience. Attached to this message is a topo with the GPS coordinates, as best as I can determine from research. CK
This shows two referenced routes and the ledge location.
This shows two referenced routes and the ledge location.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostThu Aug 14, 2003 11:01 pm 
Here's some route info over a pic showing the Wilmans Peaks/Spires/Comet mine area from the Monte Cristo townsite. I may not have drawn the "brushy route" absolutely correctly, based on the topo, but this was the best I could do from this angle. Some of the pics from this exact angle barely show (it's small!) the ledge where the bunker was until it collapsed. CK
Comet routes, looking from Monte Cristo
Comet routes, looking from Monte Cristo

Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostThu Aug 14, 2003 11:14 pm 
... And here's the aerial view I procured from TerraServer. For a while, I was puzzled, thinking that large lighter area was where the bunker was, but said: "Nah, that's got to be near the Count of Monte Cristo. It's the transfer station area." And the coordinates overlain on the TerrServer map didn't jibe with the topo. Then, the ledge just sort of popped out at me! I compared the aerial view with the pic of the ledge (showing the bunker) from "Monte Cristo" by Phillip Woodhouse, page 256 ... and there it was! (Um, I think ... I'm pretty darned sure). Everything seems to check out. I'd love to know where the adit is, on this aerial photo. CK
Aerial view: Comet Mine ledge and transfer station area 700' below (just to the immediate NW on topo)
Aerial view: Comet Mine ledge and transfer station area 700' below (just to the immediate NW on topo)

Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostThu Aug 14, 2003 11:27 pm 
One last one ... and I truly apologize for absconding a photo from a post I don't remember. I copied it only to show (the dot) the Comet location using this most incredibly cool photo of the Wilmans Spires. Whoa! How cool is this?? -- the Comet, peeking out in a beam of sunlight, saying "Here I am!" ... like the original band of galena when it glinted in the sun, caught the eyes of Pearsall, Peabody, and Wilmans, after that long hike up Silver Creek (and up to what is now Wilmans Pass) ... I don't usually copy or re-post pics by others (aware, as I am, of the usual rights), but this shot is fabulous and I hope the photographer sees this, accepts my apologies since I'm posting it for the great reference it provides, and to tell him or her that "Hey, the lighting was just right" for a cool, cool shot ... CK
The Comet mine, highlighted by "dot" ... viewed from the west.
The Comet mine, highlighted by "dot" ... viewed from the west.

CampTrails

CampTrails
PostFri Aug 15, 2003 9:00 am 
The mysterious Comet Mine
Wow, Kid, you've really done a lot of work on this! Thanks for sharing all the info. Don't know if I'll ever make it to the Comet, but I'm sure fascinated by it--as are others, apparently. There's a really clear drawing of the mine location in the Beckey book, in the Wilman's Spires section. A detailed drawing of the Spires and Blake Notch, and in teeny-tiny letters, it locates the mine--in the same place that you're showing it , by the way. You've undoubtedly seen this, given the amount of research you've already done. Those miners--what a way to live. Back-breaking labor, but surrounded by all that fabulous country.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
-lol-

-lol-
PostFri Aug 15, 2003 10:41 am 

Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostFri Aug 15, 2003 6:52 pm 
CampTrails wrote:
There's a really clear drawing of the mine location in the Beckey book, in the Wilman's Spires section. A detailed drawing of the Spires and Blake Notch, and in teeny-tiny letters, it locates the mine--in the same place that you're showing it , by the way. You've undoubtedly seen this, given the amount of research you've already done.
Yes, that particular page in Beckey's (I called him "Beckley" -- Duh!) book was one of the illustrations that initially got me really interested (page 63, "Cascade Alpine Guide, Volume 2: Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass"). The Wilmans Spires area is just a fascinating place and those miners and early explorers were really something; when I read about a trek over that notch (between South and East Spires) from the Glacier Basin side, it blew my mind. They didn't have all the lastest cool gear from REI. Can you just imagine the boots they wore?? Yikes! Before I discovered TerraServer, all I had to go on was aerial photos such as on page 66 of the aforementioned book. That page has a great view of the Spires area from the south, and it shows the bunker ledge from another angle. As described in the Woodhouse book, it really is like the prow of a ship, getting ready to sail from the surrounding mountainside. However, while that mine symbol ("X" marks the spot!) was very helpful, I think it is placed a bit high ... probably due to the detail level of that photo -- just approximate. It does show, though, the obvious cliffs just east of the transfer station area and the spires rising just above the Comet. What a precarious place! CK

Campking

Campking
PostFri Aug 15, 2003 9:19 pm 
miners disease
Copperhead, I was looking over from Poodledog last week with a long lens on my camera to figure an easy way up....I think the actual location of the transfer station at the Count is way off the left and down out of the picture (terraserver photo). I doubt I will go up this year before the weather gets back to normal as I have foot problems that need to heal up. I never used to pay much attention to this stuff. Back in the 60's I walked right by Dutch Miller's mine heading over La bohn gap to go fishing and found out later about all the cable and donkey skeletons at the bottom of the gap. That whole culture is amazing. See you on the way up.

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostFri Aug 15, 2003 10:54 pm 
Copperhead Kid wrote:
hope someone else will fill in more of the puzzle
Hey CK, we took the blue route up the gully. It was a difficult down climb as we got off route a couple times. We ended up rappelling off trees in two spots. One was a free-hanging rap. Yee-haw!

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostFri Aug 15, 2003 11:05 pm 
Dangit, I hit send by accident. Anyway another route to The Count goes up the ridge to about 3500. Then traverse tradually to The Count. Continue traversing at a similar angle to find a path at a snag at 5000' or so, go up the gully system past the Comet Mine ledge. The adit is a bit above the ledge against the cliff. In the top view picture I'm guessing it's above the "1". If you think this is day-trippable for you, I'm interested in a weekday adventure to find this mine again. It's also one of my passions to see this mine again. There is a lot of loose rock so I'd bring my rope! Those miners were totally crazy wandering around up there trying to make a living.

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostFri Aug 15, 2003 11:35 pm 
Copperhead Kid wrote:
... show (the dot) the Comet location ...
If not mistaken, the Comet Mine Ledge is to the left of your red dot a skosh. I'm looking at a sketch a buddy of mine made from a similar spot as the place the photo was snapped. Sure seems like it's from Wilmans/Pearsall Pass (depending on which reference you read). I've never found the 76 mine. Is it still for sale?

Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostSat Aug 16, 2003 1:27 am 
Sawyer wrote:
Hey CK, we took the blue route up the gully. It was a difficult down climb as we got off route a couple times. We ended up rappelling off trees in two spots. One was a free-hanging rap. Yee-haw!
Whoa ... yee-haw is right! Quite the gully-cruiser you are! Hehe!
Sawyer wrote:
Anyway another route to The Count goes up the ridge to about 3500. Then traverse tradually to The Count. Continue traversing at a similar angle to find a path at a snag at 5000' or so, go up the gully system past the Comet Mine ledge.
This is the route I want to take ... I believe it's referred to as the "traverse" route in the Beckey book, hence my use of that term in the maps/pics. I've heard that coming all the way via the "first gully" route gets dicey and loose, seems like you had a ball comin' down that way. One free-hanging rap off trees? That says volumes about the terrain.
Sawyer wrote:
The adit is a bit above the ledge against the cliff. In the top view picture I'm guessing it's above the "1".
I suspected as much, but wasn't sure. Thanks for this info.
Sawyer wrote:
If you think this is day-trippable for you, I'm interested in a weekday adventure to find this mine again. It's also one of my passions to see this mine again. There is a lot of loose rock so I'd bring my rope!
I really want to see this mine and am hoping my foot problem (fasciitis, recurring) clears up before the snow starts even thinking about flying. If the season gets too late, I consider it a must for next year. I'd love for any and all folks interested in the Comet to do something like "The Great Mysterious Comet Mine Expedition" ... AKA "The Scramble Of The Mysterions." Ha! (Pith helmets can be in lieu of climbing helmets, for those so inclined).
Sawyer wrote:
If not mistaken, the Comet Mine Ledge is to the left of your red dot a skosh. I've never found the 76 mine. Is it still for sale?
You may well be right ... I was squinting, trying to make out the ledge, trying to judge the distance from the Count both horizontally and vertically as you look from the west. I have some info on the location for the 76 mine -- I'll have to dig for it in my files. As for the sale, I dunno. And Campking, you may also be right about the location of the transfer station, except that in cross-referencing the topo versus the TerraServer photo (and throwing in info from "Discovering Washington's Historic Mines"), I keep coming back to that light area. Sure looks scraped up like something was there. And from the angle of the aerial shot, the distance may seem like too short, but it tends to jibe with the topo. I really don't know for sure until I get there and start marking with my GPS! CK

campking

campking
PostSat Aug 16, 2003 8:34 am 
comet
Copperhead and Sawyer, Don't forget your tin hats and safety shoes. I would imagine the original trail up would have followed the general direction of the tram. Just follow the hungover ghosts going back to work.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 18, 2003 7:11 pm 
The picture was mine from a trip on July 20, 2003. It was taken from a view point about 100m. above Poodle Dog Pass on the way to Twin Lakes. I do not have a problem with anyone using it or I would not have posted it.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Aug 18, 2003 7:55 pm