Forum Index > Gear Talk > Homemade Gear?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostMon Sep 30, 2002 6:09 am 
I have made, with lots o help from my wife in making a couple pairs of gaiters, a goretex bivy sack and some stuff sacks. For the most part it is too difficult for me to make stuff when the stuff can be bought for a pretty low price at MEC of Sierra Trading Post. I was kind of fun making the stuff even when I made mistakes. We use a Brother machine I bought for $200 at Costco about 10 years ago and still works fine. I think the last big project done on it was a few dozen fleece hats for children in Moldovan orphanages about a year ago. It's not a heavy duty machine but it works well.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostMon Sep 30, 2002 10:18 am 
Steve wrote:
For the most part it is too difficult for me to make stuff when the stuff can be bought for a pretty low price at MEC of Sierra Trading Post.
I agree. A while back I bought some EPIC for a bivy. Then bibler and www.owareusa.com both came out with commercial versions for around $100. I sold off the fabric. I'd happily pay the difference between the materials and the finished product to avoild learning to sew, but I decided I didn't need a bivy at all. The headlamp project will give me functionality that is not currently available in the marketplace (there are no commercial Luxeon headlamps yet). Also, my soldering skills are much better than my sewing skills.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 6:11 am 
I got my material at Seattle Fabrics. I used 3 layer gore and super k-cote ripstop nylon for the bottom. It might be a little heavier than a bibler but I think I would rate mine higher for durability. The material came out to be ~$100 and the sewing was actually not too tough but fairly straight-forward. I think it took about 3.5 hours of sewing time.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.