Forum Index > Photography Talk > Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 23, 2003 4:56 pm 
With all the boring digicams being introduced as of late I thought I'd be safe from my camera addiction until next summer. Earlier this year I tried out a Canon 10D DSLR but gave up on it for hiking and backpacking due to the weight, bulk, and need to carry a minimum of two lenses due to the lack of lenses providing a 28mm effective wide angle perspective and decent zoom. Now Canon has introduced a relatively compact 20 ounce DLSR that comes packaged with a 7 ounce 18-55mm (28-88mm effective) zoom lens for under $999. It the lens is any good this package could be a backpacking dream. Link

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 23, 2003 6:39 pm 
Thomas, what is the bloody pixel rating? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 23, 2003 8:05 pm 
It's 6MP which is plenty. It's got a large sensor which is more important since you can shoot at high ISO without noise.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 23, 2003 8:42 pm 
Can it take ANY Cannon SLR lens? I have many from my A1 days. Also, what is the recording media? I guess I'll just look the bugger up on the net. Ok compact flash. That's good. Hey Thomas, what does 6.3 megapixel equal in print size? I know 4.0 prints 11x14. Thanks. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Aug 23, 2003 9:52 pm 
Yeah, I figured the shutterbug crowd here would be eating this up when I saw the review posted over on DPReview. Looks like a nice advance in technology for a relatively reasonable price. 640x480 movies for as long as you want (as much flash card space as you have to spare) would be nice, too...I was really impressed with the 640x480 movies the PowerShot SD100 produces.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 23, 2003 10:26 pm 
Nope, DSLRs can't shoot movies for the same reason they don't have a live preview. Personally, I'd miss the live preview more, having never used movie mode once in 4 years of digicam ownership.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Aug 23, 2003 11:00 pm 
Tom, could you elaborate please on the live preview thing, I'm afraid I don't follow. Are you talking about the picture you see on the LCD screen of a regular digi-cam? I assume a DSLR can't have that because of its viewing system? Thanks for the heads-up on this new camera, its enticing-although you could buy a few more Rebel film camera systems like mine for that dough! -M&S

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Aug 24, 2003 12:11 am 
Ack...my memory is bleeding. I mixed and matched features of the Sony DSC-F828, an 8-megapixel digicam that Sony just released. Good review of that one at DPReview.com as well (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscf828/). Carl Zeiss T* lens, 7x zoom, both CF and memory stick, and uses a notable new "RGBE" color sensor array -- E is for Emerald, looked more like Cyan to me. And yes, under the movie section: >>> 640 x 480, 30 fps, no limit * 640 x 480, 16 fps, no limit 160 x 112, 8 fps, no limit >>> Ack. So young and I'm already showing signs of senility.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 24, 2003 2:03 am 
M&S, live preview is what you see in the LCD before you take the picture. On DSLRs you don't see the picture until after you take it because of the TTL mirror / shutter design (the mirror directs all the light to the viewfinder before the shot). Live preview is nice for several reasons. First, you can guage the exposure and compensate if necessary before taking the shot. Second, framing is more accurate because you see almost exactly what will be shot vs. an approximation in the viewfinder. Third, it allows for far more flexibility when composing a scene, particularly if you have a swivel LCD - really nice for shooting objects below waist level or if you want to rest the camera on a log or rock and can't really compose thru the viewfinder. Mike, the new Sony is intriguing but man, it's heavier than the 300D. Tough to rationalize lugging it along on hikes unless you shoot wildlife and need the big zoom (not that it doesn't look like a super lens). It is 8MP but beyond 4MP more pixels is a kind of a yawn. The sensor isn't any bigger than the relatively noisy 5MP sensor in the F717 so they're just jamming more pixels into the same sensor area creating more noise. In contrast, the 300D sensor is almost 6x larger in area. I find the new Minolta Dimage A1 almost more interesting than the 818 given the same sensor size, similar zoom range AND an image stabilized sensor. However, both the A1 and 818 are likely to be priced in excess of the 300D which is going to be a tough sell.

Larry

Larry
PostMon Aug 25, 2003 5:57 pm 
Tom wrote: With all the boring digicams being introduced as of late I thought I'd be safe from my camera addiction until next summer. Earlier this year I tried out a Canon 10D DSLR but gave up on it for hiking and backpacking due to the weight, bulk, and need to carry a minimum of two lenses due to the lack of lenses providing a 28mm effective wide angle perspective and decent zoom. So Tom, are you back to the G2 or G3 for backpacking? How would you rate the G2/3 family for instance, against the features you see in the EOS 300D? I realize that's a tough call...you can only go by what is written so far about the 300D...but say the lens was really good in the 300D, would you consider that over a G series setup?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Aug 25, 2003 10:43 pm 
Not having ever used a DSLR, but having plenty of experience w/ my trusty beat up Kyocera 35mm SLR, I'd never go back to an SLR style camera when backpacking, if not solely for the space savings there is when taking something comprable to the G series. Plus, that LCD screen is a godsend I'm definitely gonna get mahself a DSLR eventually, but my G3 will have a place firmly engraved in my backpack.

Larry

Larry
PostTue Aug 26, 2003 6:25 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
Not having ever used a DSLR, but having plenty of experience w/ my trusty beat up Kyocera 35mm SLR, I'd never go back to an SLR style camera when backpacking, if not solely for the space savings there is when taking something comprable to the G series. Plus, that LCD screen is a godsend I'm definitely gonna get mahself a DSLR eventually, but my G3 will have a place firmly engraved in my backpack.
You mean, when you say the LCD screen is a godsend, that the swiveling capability is the godsend? I can sure see how that would be wonderful for those "down low" shots. Also, like Tom said above, the 'preview' is awfully handy. So...if you had the bucks right now, and no digital camera for backpacking and for 'regular' use, you would lean toward the G3?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Aug 26, 2003 12:45 pm 
Larry wrote:
So...if you had the bucks right now, and no digital camera for backpacking and for 'regular' use, you would lean toward the G3?
I do have a G3, and yes, I use it exclusively now. I've got one frame of 35mm exposed in my SLR, which I haven't used since I got the G3, and I imagine it'll sit in there for a while (or at least until I send the G3 in to get the inside of the lens cleaned - I don't know how the hell it got dirty). The rebel 300D is looking mighty inticing, since I have sources that can get EOS lenses for cheap cheap cheap.

Jonathan

Jonathan
PostTue Aug 26, 2003 6:39 pm 
Is this the same as the 'CANON DIGITAL REBEL'??? http://www.kcamera.com/

Jonathan

Jonathan
PostTue Aug 26, 2003 7:37 pm 
Never mind I got it. I just bought a 5 MP camera, darn I knew I should have waited. Oh well at least mine is much lighter. smile.gif