Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Proposed National Monuments in Washington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostThu May 16, 2002 6:13 pm 
i really don't remember what the lady said, other than there was something going on around Beckler River and east. Because i ask about some trails that where in that area. It seemed like they had a map out, and i saw some creek around there, and ask about it. Then she volunteered the imfo. i could call up there tomorrow and find out exactly what she said or what it was. Might not even be Beckler River, but i know i was at least the area east of there. Ice Girl frown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu May 16, 2002 6:47 pm 
Hmmm...congress must supplement their lack of FS funding with user fees but can afford to create wilderness areas right and left. Anyone here anything on the Skykomish Wilderness plan? I sent an email to congress, but didn't get an answer.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostThu May 16, 2002 8:36 pm 
i believe that is the one i am talking about, that they told me about at the Ranger station is Sky. Ice Girl

REJ

REJ
PostThu May 16, 2002 9:30 pm 
Here is a note from the Forest Service dated March 2002 "Wild Skykomish Wilderness Proposal - Senator Patty Murray says she hopes to introduce legislation in the 107th Congress very soon to designate more than 100,000 acres of the Skykomish Ranger District as wilderness. Aides to the Senator have held meetings with managers of the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie and several interest groups in recent weeks to discuss specific issues, recreation activities and other management concerns in the Eagle Rock roadless area and several parcels adjacent to the existing Henry M. Jackson Wilderness in eastern Snohomish County. Senate Committee hearings are expected in Washington D.C. in March or April. Congressional representative Rick Larson is expected to sponsor a companion bill for introduction in the House." Here is link to a site with a map of the proposed wilderness Skykomish Wilderness My take (for what it's worth) on new trails in the proposed wilderness area. 1. Forest Service policy is not to develop new trails in the wilderness areas. 2. The Forest Service Trail Plan includes a network of proposed and abandoned trails in the proposed wilderness. 3. I believe that several formal FS trails will be incorporated in the proposed wilderness area including the Barclay Lake and Evergreen trail. 4. Wilderness organizations have proposed several trails in areas which are located in previous logged areas (non roadless areas), in motorcycle country (e.g Lake Isabel) or follow abandoned trails (e.g. Alpine Baldy).

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu May 16, 2002 10:26 pm 
If they are going to designate any areas as wilderness, I don't think NEW trails are necessarily a good thing, but if the FS was to clean up a few here and there...Lake Isabel and Silver Creek / Mineral City for instance, you wouldn't hear whining on my end. I do think closing off major roads is a stupid idea however.

-lol-

-lol-
PostFri May 17, 2002 6:48 am 

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri May 17, 2002 8:56 am 
Thanks for the great link! Looks like I was misinformed and the roads will stay untouched, the areas shown are unroaded and make sense IMO. Looks like something I can get behind.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

PostFri May 17, 2002 9:44 am 
The plan that leaves a narrow corridor for the road(s) and preserves the existing roadless area without building trails and adding cost is reasonable. IMO.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri May 17, 2002 9:58 am 
I'm not talking specifically about the proposed Skykomish Wilderness here but just wilderness protection in general. Considering how much logging I see in National Forests, I can hardly consider untouched land in these forests as "protected". They just haven't been logged yet. Beauty, age, historical significance and public usage seem to have little to no bearing on what areas get logged in NFs (just look at the Lewis & Clark trail in Montana). Without some kind of intermediate designation or change in FS management, declaring a place a Wilderness Area seems about the only way to protect it. Whether new trails should be created or existing roads closed is a separate topic, but I personally consider all pristine areas in the general National Forests to be in some amount of danger.