Forum Index > Gear Talk > Sock with quality heels!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 12:03 pm 
Anybody out there know of any REAL good quality socks that DO NOT WEAR out the heals? I use the Thorlo mountain climbing socks and the heels still wear out! Help! I want a pair of socks that last forever!

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 12:16 pm 
Stefan, Stefan, Stefan.... Eventually any sock will wear out - unless you don't wear them! I love my Thorlos. I've gotten years out of each pair. In fact, I've still got my first pair of them that I bought (I think that was 4 years ago or so) and I'm only now about ready to retire them. No hole in the heel, but actually it's at the toe. If your heels wear out so fast (but how fast is fast to you?), I wonder if it has something to do with you, your boots, and/or the fit. I don't know - just a thought.

Knapsacker

Knapsacker
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 1:16 pm 
I'm still using some 10 year old socks. Must be that your heel rubs. Tie your boots tighter and quit walking up such steep hills! That might heal the heel problem.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 4:51 pm 
My Thorlos wear out on the average once every two years. The heal wears out even where it is the thickest. Yes, I do not lace my boots all the way a lot of the times, becuase my boots are usually really stiff boots to climb in. So I unlace them a bit for the approaches to avoid terrible blisters in the heals. I wear polypro socks underneath--do you guys too? Maybe I should wear those things you strap around your calves to keep the socks tight and high. Does anybody know a better system?

Art is an adventure.
catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 5:20 pm 
Yeah, I wear the liners, too. Otherwise I'd be in blister heaven. Maybe you should lace up your boots, silly! Or maybe you're not wearing the best boots, if you don't want to lace them up. Orrrrrrrr, maybe you just are fortunate enough to be able to get out there several times a week and you just put the mileage on them quicker!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 5:48 pm 
My understanding of heel blisters is they are caused by too much heel movement at the back of your boot. This results from a combination of: 1) your boots being too big (rather than too small) 2) the sole being too stiff (i.e. boot not yet broken in causing your heel to rise) 3) excessive moisture (moisture is the enemy) To prevent them: 1) wear a thin sock liner 2) don't wear socks that are too thick (need to keep your feet dry) 3) lace up your boots and tie them around the ankle to prevent excess heel movement

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 7:23 pm 
I have tried liners before, but they always irritated my feet. With the new boots I got, I picked up a pair of Smartwool socks at the REI. These are great socks, though I've only worn them a few times so I'm not sure how they'll last. They are very comfortable and work fine for me without a liner.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 7:51 pm 
These (Smart Wool) are the BEST socks I've ever worn. I used to be a Thor-lo guy. These are way better. Link

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 12:49 am 
I'm quite happy with Ultimax socks.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?