Forum Index > Food & Grub > Freeze Dried Food
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 7:13 am 
The worst FD was some Mountain House Corn Beef hash I one had I hurl.gif soon after.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 7:17 am 
Quark wrote:
stuff that tasted like dried barf from a third world country?
Stop it! You're making me hungry! huh.gif Most FD food is wretched... I don't bother if my trip is 1 or 2 nights. I haven't tried them all, but of the bunch, Enertia's stuff seems to be least repugnant to me.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Voyageur

Voyageur
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 7:28 am 
I don't really have any comment on any of the Backpacking foods, because I just have avoided them since I had a bad experience with Mountain House spaggeti and meatballs long ago in college. I have been building my own meals usually out of rice or mashed potatoes, veggies, and add some fish or meat for protein. The way you all are commenting on some of the meals I may just have to try them and see if they will change me over. Then maybe I can just grab something off the shelf for a spontainous trip , rathe than whipping something up. smile.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 7:44 am 
I usually make my own concoctions, and for the first couple of nights I'll cook fresh veggies (heavy, I know). If I do the freeze dried thing I like Alpine Aire's veggie selection. Backpacker's Pantry chili mac rocks. And I like most of the desserts. There was one dinner, Honey-Lime Chicken that looked interesting, but when it was made I just couldn't eat it. I literally packed it out rather than subject myself to that crap.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 7:47 am 
The boyfriend would agree with you on that one lol.gif He about gagged on that selection!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 9:22 am 
I've been enjoying the Mountain House meals to date... Chicken Polynesian with Rice is actually one of my favorites. Their Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce and Lasagne both rock as well. The Mac and Cheese didn't seem to rehydrate well, though that could have been us...we were at 5800 feet or so at the time. I wasn't really impressed with the one Natural High I've had...Sundried Tomato Pasta. Wasn't all that tasty really. My trick is to bring along the parmesan cheese packets from Pizza Hut to add to the spaghetti, lasagne, etc. gives it that extra kick to really put it over the top. Michael

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
SeaNat

SeaNat
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 9:28 am 
Beanie-weenies rock!! I wish they would come freeze dried giardia.gif Tuna in a pouch also rocks up.gif

Voyageur

Voyageur
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 10:44 am 
I agree with you that bringing spices and condiments adds to the overall success of a good meal. smile.gif Maybe some day they will dehydrate Spam to go with your beans and weenies. biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 10:53 am 
My impression is that food has gotten a lot better in recent years. To maximize the value added it might make sense to limit comments to stuff tested in the last 2-3 years or clarify if it was tested in the previous century. wink.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 11:06 am 
Voyageur wrote:
I agree with you that bringing spices and condiments adds to the overall success of a good meal. smile.gif Maybe some day they will dehydrate Spam to go with your beans and weenies. biggrin.gif
"Steady Ed" Viesturs would definitely agree with you... I understand that every one of his ascents of Everest was made with the assistance of Spam. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 12:25 pm 
Natural High entrees up.gif up.gif up.gif deserts up.gif up.gif Mountain House up.gif 1/2 Backpacker's Pantry entrees up.gif up.gif 1/2 deserts up.gif up.gif up.gif 1/2 Alpine Aire hurl.gif Most everyone's breakfast stuff hurl.gif I've taken to bringing Bear Creek soups. Their chunky potato and wild rice soups are awesome and dirt cheap when you get the tub at Costco. The down side is that they take a lot of cooking.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 1:30 pm 
That Bear Creek stuff isn't too bad. 10-15 min cook time isn't great but isn't all that bad either. 1 can goes a long ways. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 10:15 pm 
i've found that if you rehydrate the bear creek soups (cream of potato in particular) for 30 min in a nalgene, then they will cook well with about 3-5 min of boiling, and 15-30 min in an insulated pot cozy. freeze-dries containing meat rehydrate better if you add the food to boiling water, return to a boil and then let sit for 15 min in an insulated pot cozy. extra spices and condiments are a must for all freeze-dries.. especially mountain house beef stroganoff. alpine aire is very foul stuff.... the shrimp newburg should be classified as a biological weapon by the un..

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostSat Sep 20, 2003 11:04 pm 
Tried the Knorr dried soups, such as Minnestrone ? Four cups of goodness, yes sir ! , to fill the demands of the most demanding backpacker. Drock

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostSat Sep 20, 2003 11:06 pm 
Thai chicken with noodles and vegetables is to die for ! (forgot the brand) Drock