Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Blewett Area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
didydip

didydip
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 12:00 pm 
Hi, This would be my first post. I've been lurking here for quite awhile. Has anyone thoroughly explored the blewett area (or culver gulch area)? I have been up there poking around every weekend for the past few months. I have found every mine in the DWHM vol.2. back in the hills in culver gulch. But, when we were up there, we found an old ore cart and a huge rock pile.. There was a piece of paper there in a tube that showed claims and mines. I didn't take the paper, but I think I took a picture of it. If you've never been to a mine, I would suggest the blewett area. (i'm kinda ignorant to how dangerous these are.) But the Meteor mine was long and very very fascinating, although you will need rubber boots. It journeys a long way back. Also, there is one along the highway (south going back to cle elum). If when you enter the blewett site turn left instead of going up the hill, it goes back even further than meteor I believe. I've been into this one several times, but was never leading and we always stopped in the same place where we "thought" it ended. Nope. It goes a WHOLE LOT further. this one you REALLY need rubber boots for. I wouldn't enter this one again though. The walls felt like clay near the back. It's a whole lot of crawling back sideways and crouching down. We all got really dirty and wet. Anyway, on the 2 page map of the culver gulch area in DWHMvol2, there is nothing past fackler no2 ( that we could find). Everything past that is caved except 1 adit that was open but it went back roughly 40 feet. Davenport (?) Blinn, they are all caved frown.gif And if you go, there is a SQUARE BOX on the map that indicates a town "site" ( for lack of better terms, I can't find my book at the moment)... THAT IS IN A MILLION PIECES ON THE SIDE OF A HILL. You will not find it unless you are bushwhacking yourself up the mountain. We got that confused with two cabins and the fackler site. I have heard many people say this. Don't use that as a landmark. The 2 cabins are by adit no.8. Well, I've yapped enough. Ps, Anyone know who owns Fackler no.2? He's got a big operation going on up there. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 2:09 pm 
didydip, you might find this site interesting.

didydip

didydip
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 2:54 pm 
Thanks polarbear smile.gif Him and I have talked through email several times. He said he got lost at the "square" on the blewett map also. Our adventures pretty much ended up the same.

salish

salish
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 3:07 pm 
didydip, you've aroused my curiosity and I might stop in there in the next few weeks. I spent some time goofing around the old Blewett townsite and mines back in the 1970s, but it's been that long since I've been back. I think we have a couple of resident mining history/mineshaft people here; one that comes to mind immediately is 2drx. Perhaps they have some info they can share with you. By the way, welcome to the board.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
didydip

didydip
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 3:37 pm 
Thank you. I think I've talked to 2drx through email also. Blewett is neat because there's so much to see in a tight little area. I think the long freaky mine is Blackjack mine. I am NOT sure. It doesn't talk about the mine very specifically. If you enter it, be very careful. I will be posting some pictures up (on a sire somewhere) of the mine and my friends. I just went through them and realize how freaky it actually was.