Forum Index > Trail Talk > Best Time for Mt. Adams
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostMon Feb 18, 2002 6:09 pm 
Does anyone have an opinion as to the best time of the year to climb Mt. Adams (Pahto)? I've never been on top and I've been invited by a climber to head up the south slope in the third week of June. As it stands now I think it will work, but I'm getting scheduling conflicts coming from all direction for June, so I may have to wait until mid-late July. Is there much of a difference in weather and snow conditions in late July as opposed to June? My climbing friend suggests that the snowfields may show a little more rock in July which means the glissading might not be as easy, which makes sense. Appreciate all viewpoints... Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Feb 18, 2002 6:22 pm 
Third week of June may be too much snow for the car to reach the end of the road--meaning you might have to walk the road (Personally I hate walking roads). In addition weather is not as predictable until after the 4th of July. Seriously. You also want to glissade in the tracks of others who have been there before you and early July is the best time. You can do Mt. Adams from the south side in one day from the trailhead. My opinion is to do it during the middle of the week after July 4th but before the end of July for the fastest, best potential weather, and best glissading opportunities.

Art is an adventure.

PostMon Feb 18, 2002 6:46 pm 
I agree. July or whenever you can get close to the end of the road. I walked in soft snow without snowshoes from before Morrison in mid-June and about cried when I saw were the end of the road was. Was loaded down with overnight gear too. One day shot makes much more sense for that Mtn.

Benjamin

Benjamin
PostMon Feb 18, 2002 6:59 pm 
With the above average snow pack this year the road will more likely than not be obstructed with snow in the third week of June. That is unless we have a very warm spring. Maybe we should give Miss Cleo a call at the Psysic Friends Network. I'll bet she can help! lol.gif

salish

salish
PostMon Feb 18, 2002 8:53 pm 
Thanks Stefan, Pappy, and Ben. I appreciate your info. It looks like I'll have to cancel this trip until the t070517 3:38:02 [ERROR] Got error 126 when reading table './bauhaus_forum/phpbb_groups' ou, I hate walking roads, too. Thanks again. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Feb 18, 2002 9:37 pm 
Well now, that's sounding like fun! Maybe we could organize a NWHikers Mt Adams climb this July! ??? (Salish, I'm not trying to intrude on your trip, just suggesting a possible outing for those who might be interested.)

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Feb 18, 2002 9:59 pm 
I will be doing Adams (hopefully if all goes well) with friends about that time, too. Maybe see you along the way? Then Baker shortly after ... hope to be standing atop come birthday.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
salish

salish
PostTue Feb 19, 2002 10:16 am 
Fine by me, Catwoman and McPilchuck. I have yet to set the actual date, but it's probably going to be the second or third week in July. I'll be hiking with a small group of three or four people. Just to warn you (as I do with anyone I backpack with for the first time) I have some respiratory problems and athsma, and I have to go slow. And I'm not sure how I'll do @10,000' or above. But I'm going to get to the top if I can. Cliff

At 'em

At 'em
PostTue Feb 19, 2002 12:10 pm 
Ideally you want to climb up Adams when the snow is hard in the morning, but soft enough in the afternoon to enjoy the awesome LONG glissade in the luge chutes. There are thousands of feet of glissade!! Terrible disappointment if it's hard and icy. Or late in the year when it's rocky. I've been up in late June (had to walk a little of the road) and September. Both work ok.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Feb 19, 2002 8:51 pm 
How long of a hike is Mt. Adams, and what is the elevation gain? Is any special kind of p____t required? I though I'd heard rumors to the effect awhile back. If not, I want to do it before one is imposed.

salish

salish
PostTue Feb 19, 2002 10:07 pm 
PB - everything you would ever want to know about climbing Mt. Adams, including permits, is at this site: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/wilderness/mta_climb.htm#top There are fees involved. I'm not sure what the elevation gain is, but the mountain is 12,276' high. The site says the time to the top is 6-8 hours, and the descent is 4-6. That won't matter very much to me because I'll be spending the night somewhere up there, probably at the lunch counter, in order to acclimate myself. Have fun. Cliff

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Feb 19, 2002 10:19 pm 
Thanks for the info Salish. Maybe the fees will be used to fix the road eventually..."The three-mile section of the road beyond Morrison Creek Campground is extremely rough and narrow. Please drive carefully!" Looking at someone else's website, the campground where the trail begins is at 5600 feet. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Campground/1435/adams.htm

IBEX

IBEX
PostTue Feb 19, 2002 10:52 pm 
Here is a slightly different take on climbing Mount Adams. I am sure that thousands of feet of glissading is a worth while endeavor. But, what I suggest has less to do with your butt and more to do with your head. I recommend four plus days to thoroughly enjoy the experience. Leave at noon the day before the September holiday. Take the leisurely drive down through Elbe, Morton and Randle. Pick-up your volcano pass at the Randle Ranger Station. South from Randle take 23 and then 21 to Adams Forks. Next cross the Cypress River and take 56 up to the Orr Creek SnoPark. From the SnoPark take 5603 up the Muddy Fork with your goal being the follow 2329 south to Killen Creek Trail head. But first, keep going straight for a side trip up to the PCT. Take the short stroll to the top of Potato Hill for some great views of the north side of Mount Adams. Bring your camera and a blueberry bucket. After filling your camera and bucket, go back down to take 2329 south four miles to the Killen Creek TH. The Killen Creek trail gently climbs the crest just south of the creek. There is a nice camp a two miles or you can take a left on the PCT and camp at the Killen Pots at four miles. Either camp is OK, with the main goal being to be kicking back near sunset watching the colors on the Adams Glacier. The next day, from the Killen Creek Potholes, follow the Highline Trail up around Foggy Flat and on toward the surreal landscape of the lava flows. Remember to take on sediment free water before you leave the woods. Cash your pack at 7000ft and then navigate your way through the maze of jagged lava to scramble to the top of Red Butte. From the Butte you get a fantastic panorama that includes the rarely visited northeast side of Mount Adams. Of course, Mount Rainier and Goat Rocks dominate the northern view from here on throughout the trip. Back at the packs, your next goal is to gain the North Cleaver at 8000ft. The route involves a dirty traverse of a few crumbly moraines and rock hopping a couple of muddy torrents. Most of the elevation gain is done on the stagnant edge of the Lava Glacier. May need crampons, but it’s not too steep. The Lava Glacier is your water source so pitch your high camp close or carry water. Summit day doesn’t need to be too early, because you’ll be walking up a pumice and scree path. Just follow the ridge crest or the path of least resistance. The route seems to go on and on, but there is no hurry. You can rest anywhere, take in the view, and drink a lot of water. The North Cleaver is not technical at all. I did use my crampons near the top, but only because I had carried them all that way. The air is kind of thin and it’s slow going as you traverse across the top, but it’s a really neat position; hanging around at twelve thousand feet. When you reach the summit lookout, you soon realize why you did the North Cleaver route on Mount Adams. When I did the climb in 1998 nearly 250 people reached the summit that day. But, on the North Cleaver, I met only one other solo climber on the way up the route. When I looked down the south slope I saw hundreds of climbers strung out like a circus parade. There was a large group who jogged up in track uniforms and running shoes. Our outfits clashed; me with a parka and crampons. It wasn’t long before I strolled back across the summit plateau; back into the wilderness. Again, no need to hurry on the way back down the North Cleaver. This agenda spends another night out at the 8000ft high camp. On the final day you complete the loop by dropping down to Lake 7505 and then picking up the trail down from Adams Glacier High Camp. Now, some may prescribe to do Mount Adams in one day, and expound on the exciting butt slide. But I say, take some time to experience the Mount Adams Wilderness and go find the secret, hidden places. You will not be able to brag of your record time ascent. But, you will bring home so much more than a pair of blown-out rain pants. biggrin.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostWed Feb 20, 2002 12:17 am 
We went last year on July 12-13 For the low snow year, it was nice, but no snow until the base of the cresecnt glacier, so plastics on the dirt path for quite a bit (yuck on the way out) I am most likely gonna do it in a day this year, and also try the Adams Glacier route, or the easy Mazama Glacier route. Here is a report from my last years adventure Northwest Outdoors Guide Trip Report And always, Have fun! BTW - IBEX's idea sounds VERY cool. No better way to get to know the mountain, then uh.......get to know the mountain!

salish

salish
PostWed Feb 20, 2002 8:42 am 
Wow, IBEX, sign me up. Great post! I've always shyed away from contemplating any other route except for the south side because of the dreaded "T-Word" (Technical). Your description makes me want to explore that area. Maybe I'll go with some friends who have more climbing skills than I do. My family was able to camp above the Klickitat River above White Swan on the side of the mountain in 1954, when I was a baby, and again in 1973, when I was 19, by special permission from the Yakama Nation, and I recall climbing up and up through snowfields until I got a little scared and backed down. I have no idea of where I was or what I was doing, but that side of the mountain is truly beautiful - and there's hardly anyone there. Yes, I'm dreading the crowds of people on the south slope that I've always heard about. In that respect maybe June really would be a better time to go, but that won't work for me. Anyway, your post was really interesting. I'm printing it out for future reference. Cliff