Forum Index > Photography Talk > Digicam memory card formatting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Sep 26, 2003 5:16 pm 
Ok, one of you experts should be able to help me- I have an Olympus camera with an Oly card and an aftermarket one. Only with the Oly card can I take panoramic pictures using the Olympus Camedia software I have. It won't work with non-Olympus cards. The manual says with Oly cards no formatting is needed but with others yes. My question is if I have the non-Oly card with some images on it & remove it from the camera & replace it with the Oly card to take panoramic shots- do I lose the stored images on the non-Oly one when I reinstall it and need to format it? Basically, I'm a bit unclear what happens when you format a card! Thanks for putting up with this long-windedness.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 26, 2003 5:26 pm 
Weird that you can't use non-Olympus cards for panoramic shots. In any case, don't worry about swapping cards back and forth...you won't lose pictures unless you decide to format the card or tell the camera to Erase All the stored photos. Formatting is essentially going through and zeroing out all the blocks on the card. Erase All is essentially just removing the entries for the files, i.e. telling the card that the picture files don't exist. Both accomplish roughly the same thing, leaving you with an empty, ready to use card. Formatting's just a little lower level process and is something typically only used if the directory structure on the card gets screwed up.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Sep 26, 2003 7:30 pm 
Thanks, Dayhike Mike. I guess if I remove & reinstall a non-Olympus card that has some pics on it I will lose those pics unless I had downloaded them first. So once that non-Oly card is in the camera out in the field it stays there until I get to my computer! I guess with an Olympus card, according to the manual, it is already formatted so I could remove & reinstall it continually without losing anything. Anyway, sounds like if I want panoramics I need to use the Oly card first, then the non-Oly brand card for normal pics- which sucks for flexibility! The Camedia software I have will only stitch together pics from an Olympus card. Thanks for your help again! M&S

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 26, 2003 8:59 pm 
No...that doesn't make any sense. Does it force you to reformat the non-Olympus card every time you insert it and/or power on the camera? You should be able to switch back and forth with no problems. Really...just try it yourself...take two or three pics of your kitchen, swap to the other, take two or three pics of the bathroom, and swap back. Continue ad infinitum until you're convinced the pictures aren't going anywhere. I can't believe they'd be crazy enough to make it that cumbersome. That alone would drive me to return the camera (after smashing it to little bits) to my local Costco with the reason of "it just didn't work for me." wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Sep 26, 2003 9:09 pm 
Makes sense to me, I'll fiddle with it tomorrow and report back. Thanks again!

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Sep 28, 2003 9:36 pm 
DM, ok, I swapped cards back & forth & all is well, no lost images. Thanks a lot for your help! smile.gif up.gif M&S