Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Hey marylou
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostSat Sep 27, 2003 7:33 pm 
You are calling attention to an extremely pristine and fragile place that is not difficult to reach and very close to a large metropolitan area. How about staying consistent with your previous posts and change your avatar and remove the related comments.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treewalker

treewalker
PostSat Sep 27, 2003 8:13 pm 
Yeah, like this article in the times didn't draw any attention to it: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/37770_hike06.shtml Ya know, I think the paranoia amongst some on this site is pretty deep. Most people are so lazy that they will never go hiking, and if they care enough to, I think they should be as priviliged as anyone else to get the secret info. Hiking should have a social component in my opinion. It's not all about solitude, it's about an appreciation of nature. These secret places won't be destroyed by boots, but by pollution most likely, so we should encourage everyone to get out and enjoy them while they still can.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 27, 2003 8:51 pm 
Exactly what secret info are you talking about? Talk about paranoia. lol.gif Learn how to read a topo map and navigate off trail and you'll have all the "secrets" you want.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Sep 27, 2003 9:18 pm 
paranoid.gif rolleyes.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods

PostSat Sep 27, 2003 10:56 pm 
treewalker wrote:
Yeah, like this article in the times didn't draw any attention to it
treewalker, I am well aware of Karen's route description for that area as I own her book. What I have a problem with is the hypocrisy that some the most vocals members of this little forum refuse to acknowledge.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Sep 27, 2003 11:20 pm 
Sorry, Pappy, I guess the fact that the route to this place is described in a current guidebook would make me a little less likely to consider it "secret." huh.gif You're still crabby about that Ch****in thing, aren't ya! doh.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods

PostSun Sep 28, 2003 12:27 am 
marylou wrote:
I guess the fact that the route to this place is described in a current guidebook would make me a little less likely to consider it "secret."
I didn't call it a secret. I first read about that place in 1977 in 100 Hikes. What are YOU talking about, ever? Try being wrong, (and consistent) just once.

treewalker

treewalker
PostSun Sep 28, 2003 2:38 am 
all secrets should be published

Oldtimer

Oldtimer
PostSun Sep 28, 2003 5:30 pm 
From Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary: Secret n 1a: something kept hidden or unexplained, b: something kept from the knowledge of others or shared only confidentially with a few... An earlier message in this thread says someone in 1977 read about route to a lake in 100 Hikes. The hundred hike books first came out in the 1960's. One came out in the spring. It showed a picture of of a 2-acre lake, and gave the route to the lake and to a nearby peak. This small lake had trout in it when the book hit the market. About six weeks later, the lake was almost barren. I must confess I bought all the hundred hikes books (100 thru 104, if I remember correctly)--but for one reason only: to avoid places/lakes/etc. included in them as destinations. My philosophy was to find lakes that were off trail, were remote, and required "route finding ability" to get to. A lake in the Midfork area was hard to get to. A CCC trail had been built in the 1930's from Camp Brown up toward the lake area, but it dead ended in a another basin. I heard that a lot of hikers were trying to get to the lake, figured the trail led to the lake, and dead ended. Then, a couple years ago, someone cleared a trail to the lake; then, the route was published in a WTA trip report. I understand the lake area now is pretty well beaten. Within the past month, I have heard about a trail having been hacked to a lake that is NOT easy to get to, and which is in wilderness area. The route was published in a web site, and is generating traffic. In the route given, one spot is dangerous--if one does not know how to get up the cliffy area. I expect to read about someone being injured, or killed, there within the next year. I also heard a rumor that a couple people built a rock bound pool so they can keep trout in it until next morning, then pack them out. Over the years, the lake has been good fishing. Time will tell. My goal was to get away from hikers, to face the challenge of finding places I hadn't been to before, to enjoy mountain scenery, to enjoy catching fish for a meal or two (no, not to pack out). But, I also seldom hiked solo. On at least three different occasions, I probably would have died if I had been alone. One example: a big rock in a rock slide slipped and pinned my leg; it was too heavy for me to move. If a colleague had not been along, I would have been stuck--in a seldom travelled area that had no trail. So, if you push for published routes, you push for Snow Lake type hikes--eventually. - Oldtimer

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 11:30 am 
Time for McPil to weigh in: I should have removed that yellow paint years ago (did not put it there). However, I still may remove it from sight. It dosen't belong there on the rocks, period. As far as Marylou's avatar, I didn't like seeing it next to her name but said nothing, tho she is entitled to put whatever avitar up relating that she likes, as with anyone posting a thread. That is their own right. But I would personally ask that she remove it and choose another. This is just a simple request from the Pilchuck Guy who shared a few brews with many of you a few years ago, as well many inspired spendid places here on the net. Sincerely, McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
treewalker

treewalker
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 11:39 am 
I just don't understand... You love this place, yet you want to keep other people from it. Do you dislike people or something? You'd think if there were something fun and cool out there you'd want to share it? Isn't keeping it to yourself sort of, um, selfish? privacy is a luxury.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 11:52 am 
My site is full of places and photographs, I have always been one to share, tho I am less formal about route and directions. Many people email me privately when they wish some knowledge that they think I might have, because they themselves are worried that some places could become like Snow Lake, and they seek less popular secluded places...a real reason as to why many people seek that type of solitude. Those that know me, know I am not a selfish person, and that I have spent my entire life doing this sort thing, encourage others to do so, too. But if you want to go off trail to some obscure places seldom visited, you won't always find it posted in a thread or discussed on nets or chats. These are not secret places, just obscure and seldom visited. Some places are just simply better left unsaid to protect their fraglie quality, and left to the adventure of one's own discovery IMO. McPil

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 11:56 am 
But aren't we talking about a place that is not only in a guidebook, but was in the p-I recently? I can't imagine that Marylou's avatar (which I didn't even notice until this thread) is going to encourage anyone compared to the other publicity.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 12:04 pm 
Ah, you are probably right. When this place first appeared on the 1987 survey maps, I felt a lump in my throat. It grew knowing full well there would be more impact not wishing it to become another Snow Lake. In this context, I still feel it is a place better left to ones own adventure. The less said about it (IMHO) the more pristine it will likely remain down the road... McPil

Larry

Larry
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 12:31 pm 
kiliki wrote:
But aren't we talking about a place that is not only in a guidebook, but was in the p-I recently? I can't imagine that Marylou's avatar (which I didn't even notice until this thread) is going to encourage anyone compared to the other publicity.
kiliki: It's certainly a tough call at times, isn't it? There's a couple of past threads on here that deal with this issue, and the arguments have validity in both theatres of thought. I agree with you that ML's avatar alone probably isn't going to bring out the throngs to that particular place. I tend to agree with McPil's statement about (annotated quote)"obscure places that are already in a guidebook somewhere...but by giving explicit details of routefinding, the place isn't as obscure anymore". There are many places on McPil's site that are in a "standard" guidebook, but that he addresses with the reverence that he possesses for the beauty in those places, yet there aren't any step-by-step directions for entry. My tendency now is to not post "direction oriented" and "step-by-step" trip reports of some of the more fragile places, simply because the Web search engines have become so efficient. The Web is used by such a large part of the population that I worry about a larger and larger number of people who would have "instant" directions and details, which would then "reduce obscurity" as McPil talks about. I still tend to think that most all of us who frequent these hiking types of forums can go to maps and pick out obviously hard-to-reach or obscure areas, and find our own way there. That said, I want to read trip reports, no matter who writes them, or how they write them. I think that is the best part of the forum. If the person only wants to give their "impressions" rather than a step-by-step trip guide, that's wonderful. If I don't agree with how they deal with the "leaving out" or the "adding in" of details, that's okay. Everyone has their own personal level of restraint in however far they go on giving out details. It's a tough one to argue, because there are points both ways. That "happy medium" is a personal call.