Forum Index > Photography Talk > Memory cards
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Nov 06, 2003 4:56 am 
Wish I could even take 1 good photo per 1,000. I have to take a lot just to get a decent one no matter how long it takes to get the photo. I like to take the first photo as I first saw it. Then move around for other angles. Sometimes a couple of inches can make a difference. If I'm shooting hand held and can move around easily, I'll shoot a lot more. When using the tripod things naturally slow down, fewer shots and more time per each. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Nov 06, 2003 12:21 pm 
Bushwacker wrote:
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Oops! Now how did I confuse you and Bushwacker? wink.gif Mea culpa...
It's not that difficult to tell us apart....I'm the good lookin' one!! tongue.gif BW
Just because you're higher up on the food chain doesn't give you the right to bash moose and squirrel's looks. We have feelings too. bawl.gif tongue.gif Fine example you're setting for the cub.

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Nov 06, 2003 8:50 pm 
I admit it. I own a fancy SLR. I read the whole manual. I've forgotten most of it. Now I'm a Programmed Mode junkie. bawl.gif I usually don't take more than a roll of film a hike. I rarely bracket. I've only had one trip where virtually all photos on the trip were spectacular--it was in the Sierras after a snowfall. I have about 30 carousels of slides rolleyes.gif there are probably only a few per carousel worth enlargening, but still makes for an interesting photo journal.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jan 23, 2004 7:54 am 
A friend at work and I were talking about large memory cards, 1gb-CF, and he mentioned that he had heard that when the card starts getting on the fuller side that it takes the camera longer to write the info to the card. Is there anything to this and if so, is it noticeable? N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jan 23, 2004 9:42 am 
Your friend is correct. Don't know what is taking it but it does take longer occasionally when the card is almost filled. And yeah, it's noticeable. If the file system on the cards was NTFS, I could tell you exactly what the deal was -- NTFS leaves space between each file so that they can grow or shrink slightly without causing fragmentation and ends up having to fill in the space between files once you've used approximately 80-85% of the available space on the drive. The multiple seeks and writes that this requires can really bring a system to a crawl. But they aren't. Older cameras used FAT and newer ones are using FAT32 to support larger card sizes, so I don't have a definitive answer. Perhaps they're doing something similar, i.e. leaving gaps between files, but I've never read anything that indicates FAT32 is similar to NTFS in that respect.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jan 23, 2004 11:50 am 
If anything, just another reason to get one large card instead of two smaller ones. You'd run into the "getting full" issue far more frequently with two smaller cards. Personally, I never found this to be a real world issue (it's only slightly noticeable).

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jan 23, 2004 1:06 pm 
So Tom, you're indicating that this happens regardless of card size? N

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Jan 23, 2004 1:38 pm 
I haven't noticed this happening (though I think I've only filled one of my 256mb cards completely one time so far). But does it really matter? Unless you're shooting wildlife or sports, that extra second or two doesn't make much difference.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jan 23, 2004 2:00 pm 
Newt wrote:
So Tom, you're indicating that this happens regardless of card size?
I would think that's a safe bet. And Sore Feet is correct in that it's not usually a problem ... just adds an extra second or so to the storage once in a while.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jan 23, 2004 6:38 pm 
Thanks. I spose it's not to big a deal. Tho there have been a number of times that the digital lag has been frustrating when wanting to get a couple of quick shots off. N

dayhiker

dayhiker
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 2:14 pm 
HD system
Quote:
Enclosure - $90: http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=VP-2060&sourceid=qDRCP6TGEg2KAknDZCiZ&bfinfo=123400-0-0-0-u48l0 Hard Drive - $65: http://www.globalmicro.com/category.asp?C=3 At $155 for 30 gigs of storage, he was a happy camper and now has quite the archival system for his long trips.
How is the battery life on this system. It looks like you have to install the HD how hard is that? Pros/Cons over Archos Gmini 220? I know it is alot more but I have heard on dpreview it can download something like 11GB on on charge!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 10:05 pm 
For what it's worth Costco has 256MB SanDisk flash cards for $10 off thats $29.95 for CF cards. I realize thats kind of small for most of youse guys. tongue.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
dayhiker

dayhiker
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 10:54 pm 
What speed are those flash cards at cosco
Why not use 4 of those instead a 1 GB card?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 11:32 pm 
Sandisk (non-ultra) = slow, but not a bad deal for a 256 MB card. I personally prefer 1 card. It's a hassle switching cards in the middle of a shoot. Not to mention when you have more than 2 cards it's hard to remember which cards are full and which are empty.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 1:15 am 
Bring a dry erase pen with you...unless you're worried about the extra weight. dizzy.gif