Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Anybody know the history of Copper City near Bumping Lake?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kodiaksequimhiker

kodiaksequimhiker
PostSun Oct 05, 2003 6:47 pm 
I would like to know more about the city of Copper City and the mines around it. Anybody got any info on that?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikermike

hikermike
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 6:52 pm 
I note no one has replied to you so I thought I'd pass some resources along. You'll find a short blurb at http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/wa/coppercity.html. Although the story lists it as in Cowlitz Co., this is an error as it is in Kittitas Co. as even shown on their map. One of the hiking guides listed a short 2 sentences about it either in their description of Twin Sisters Lakes or Mt. Aix. (As an alternative in case of rain.) I remember a page in Ghost Towns of Washington that I used to have but couldn't find it last nite. I'd looked it up previously becuase we'd visitied it in 1991 after a trip with the kids to the Twin Sisters. I'm not sure if it would warrent a report in Ghost towns of the Old West. You should find the first book in the library or a used book store.

JimK

JimK
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 7:43 pm 
A short description is in my "Trips and Trails, 2", September 1979 by E.M. Sterling. An old hotel and tumble-down mill on a hillside of grown-over memories. Turn right (west) off road No. 162 abut 5 1/2 miles from its junction with No. 174 abut 19 miles from Highway 410. Find the old two-story hotel to the left of the spur road in about 1/8 mile. Collapsed mill lies beyond the hotel. To reach the mines follow the very rough road another 2 1/2 miles. Too rough for most cars Several mine shafts at the end of the road. None are maintained. Timbers in all are rotten. A danger area. Twenty four more years have gone by since that was written. I doubt if much of anything is left.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 8:02 pm 
from ghost towns of the west
cc
cc

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
kodiaksequimhiker

kodiaksequimhiker
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 9:44 pm 
Thanks for the info

hikermike

hikermike
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 10:53 pm 
How's that for a memory, thanks for digging up the books I've lost. As of 1991, the old hotel was actually in good shape, but the rest were piles to guess at.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 2:31 pm 
I went to the Yakima Herald Republic's site and went to their archives-there are some promising articles in there-problem is that will cost $2.95 to access them. I wasn't interested enough to do it myself.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent