Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dreaming of summer...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Apr 16, 2002 12:11 pm 
Weather is supposed to be ok towards the weekend. I'm planning to check out the Olypics for a couple days. Hopefully the weather prognosticators are correct this time. I don't mind the snow, but I hate hiking in heavy rain. shakehead.gif

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 8:10 am 
This is shaping up to be an interesting year-Good to have a better than average snowpack but it would be nice if it would melt off sometime. Interestingly, ice came off slowly lastyear in some of the places I hit early, Manastash Lake, for example, was iced over on May 13--normally I'm checking in early May. Back in the big snow year, Tatoosh Lake--I usually don't try to get there until after July 4th--didn't ice off until Labor Day weekend. I was up in Cle Elum yesterday--and it was snowing all around. You didn't have to look too high to see plenty of snow remaining.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
salish

salish
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 8:58 am 
My boss, who lives in Mt. Vernon, told me that Baker got another 20" of snow the other day. This is a whopper of a snow pack. I'm guessing that some of the lakes I frequent around Baker won't be iced-out until mid July, and there will be snow on the trails until late July. What the hell, mother nature at work here....

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 9:07 am 

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 12:08 pm 
I think from looking at the snowpack totals off the NWS site and from what little I've been out and about that there is less snow east of the Cascades anyway than in 1999, but it seems west of the crest the snowpack is particularly prodigious--I can see bigger than normal cornices on Tatoosh Ridge than I can remember in the past. And the snowpack is still accumulating!

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent