Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stefan's waterfall -Part I - It's really there!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Mar 31, 2002 12:08 am 
Well crap. That wasn't the falls I was thinking of (I was assuming Stefan was on one of the peaks north of Kanasket, looking at the falls where the next stream to the north drops into the Green River). And I was just down that way yesterday. Poop. Ah well, more excuses to get out. smile.gif... **Edited because the 1st post seems to have disappeared...someone may want to fix that**

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Mar 31, 2002 12:31 am 
Dang! this is gettin' old. That first post didn't last half-an-hour. What I said, roughly, was: Stefan saw a waterfall from the top of "Palmer Peak". We decided to see if we could find it from the bottom. Unfortunately, I left ALL of the maps at home. Fortunately, I'd really studied them, so after trying most of the roads in the area we finally found the right one, and then we found the right place to stop (after trying several others) - and then our luck changed. There turned out to be a pretty good trail all the way to the base of the falls. Larch took the picture from the top of a log that had fallen across the stream, but she had a little trouble seeing over the stump. She had to keep trying to push the weeds down to get a clear shot. The result is attached. The section of falls we could see was maybe 50' high. If there's more further up, Stefan may have seen them from his vantage point. Stefan. Please let me know.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Mar 31, 2002 4:41 am 
Double dang! My second post has disappeared, too. I guess that fits, since it was Part II of "Stefan's waterfall". First of all, I wanted to know how Stefan happened to hike up that particular road on that particular hill? They're both pretty unprepossessing. I also asked Stefan (again) to let me know if there appeared to be any sections of the falls above the one we photographed? If there are, it looks like they might be more easily accessed from above. Ummm. I almost forgot the subtitle of Part II, "the "there" isn't quite where Stefan's coordinates placed it". That was at the base of a cliff, which seemed reasonable enough, but there was really nowhere up above for the water to come from. Turns out there is a good stream coming down a more gradual slope a little further south, and that's where the falls actually is. ...... When I did this originally, the "criticism" was supposed to be funny. It's still meant to be tongue-in-cheek, even if it doesn't come across that way. rolleyes.gif Finally, mostly for Bryan's benefit, I added a map, since I thought he was pretty likely to want to add "Stefan's Falls" to his collection. So I'll add it again, although I believe he did get a look at it before the post disappeared. ....................... What should we do, Tom? Start creating our posts in Word Pad, so we can repost them after eraser-bunny strikes? confused.gif waah.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 9:29 am 
The picture of the falls looks like the one I saw--but it looks different from above. Sorry about the coordinates and having them off a bit, but I knew the falls were in there somewhere. I went to the top of peak 1720+ which is to the west of the falls because I drive, walk, scramble, or climb to peaks in this state where they have at least 400 feet of prominence. They are considered "peaks" in my book. I was with my daughter of 18 months so we made an outing of it. The top of this peak has a pretty good view of downtown Seattle. By the way, there was only one section of falls, and none further up. Where you were at was the only place for the falls. It looks like it was a regular stream up higher. Good finding! smile.gif

Art is an adventure.