Forum Index > Pacific NW History > "The Trailer Menace"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 1:06 pm 
The Trailer Menace No, it's not a Halloween story. Just a letter about the danger to forests the "evil" recreational trailer poses. Written by a forest pathologist in 1935. Ran across it while doing some research. It is both hilarious and prophetic.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
frankm3

frankm3
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 8:24 pm 
Timber Cruiser wrote:
The Trailer Menace No, it's not a Halloween story. Just a letter about the danger to forests the "evil" recreational trailer poses. Written by a forest pathologist in 1935. Ran across it while doing some research. It is both hilarious and prophetic.
Thanks for posting this, what a fun read. The author is pretty impassioned about his subject matter..... "When there are two or more, the effect is heightened until the campground truly gives the appearance of ill kept city slums in which cabins and huts, of all colors and all designs, are scattered without order or plan and completely destroy the last vestiges of camp intimacy in the wild. From an esthetic viewpoint nothing worse could be imagined." Ouch, that smarts! He also mentions that a luxurious model costs a bank-breaking $5,000, which is hysterical in comparison to some of the $500,000+ coaches, etc. that you see pretty commonly nowadays. This is an interesting contrast to another perspective on these types of dwellings that John Steinbeck presents in "Travels with Charley" if any of you have read that, it's a great book on Steinbeck's camper travels and his own search for what 'America' is about. One of my all time favorites. When he wrote this, the concept of manufactured housing was just really taking off back in the 50s. Most of his presentation of this topic has an enthusiasm and also a futuristic attitude that we would find really strange today. All kinds of talk about the wondrous 'new and modern lifestyle' that would be afforded by mobile housing. He envisioned a future of infinite mobility, where Americans would/ could pull up roots quickly and follow opportunity where ever it took you.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 8:33 pm 
Whew, I thought this was another "WT" reference! embarassedlaugh.gif

RollingB

RollingB
PostFri Oct 24, 2003 7:51 am 
lol.gif Thought we were headed down that path again too. Wish my dad were still around so that I could show him they were dreading him even then. He was one of those wild-eyed motorhome drivers we all try to avoid. The faster he could get from point A to point B was always his goal. He would try and squeeze that 33ft behemouth into the smallest sites sometimes. Of course if there was a Wal-Mart nearby no campground was needed as he was set. agree.gif Thanks for posting TC. up.gif

"Life Is Not A Journey To The Grave With The Intention Of Arriving Safely In A Pretty And Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Broadside, Thoroughly Used Up, Totally Worn Out, And Loudly Proclaiming ----WOW ----What A Ride!!!" Author Unknown
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Oct 24, 2003 12:42 pm 
I used to hate RV's, cluttering up the roadways. As I get older they're lookin' more and more appealing, sleeping on the ground for 2 wks gets old. biggrin.gif Of course I'm not talkin' about some mondo wheeled-condo, just a nice little apt. on the go....