Forum Index > Photography Talk > Technique (Split From Cup Lake TR)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Oct 13, 2003 9:09 am 
Mod note: this topic was split from Alan's Chiwaukum / Larch / Cup Lakes Trip Report.
CascadeHiker wrote:
SUPERB up.gif up.gif up.gif Shots Sir Alan. I can't believe that this year I missed the Larch show (although I did try) but your pics really are (as usual) stunning. This is why I love NWHikers.net, where else do you see the greatest photography shared so willingly on the net. agree.gif agree.gif Thanks for sharing your great trip and photos.
Larry wrote:
Truly great and wonderfully composed images. I bow to your larch, and to you. Man....stunning. The "island of larch" particularly moves me. Wow. But then again, so does the "vibrant larch and huckleberry"...hoo wah! There is a lot to be said for scanned transparencies. They just seem somehow "richer" than digitals..probably just my imagination (running away with me...). dizzy.gif
Backpacker Joe wrote:
What camera gear are you using for those BRILLIANT shots MAN?
Thanks much. Getting to a setting like that makes it hard not to get good results, often is the case. Sure, there is a lot that goes on that relies on the photographer's eye to find the image that you want---but a lot goes toward being there! Take other stunning images we see posted here -- they not only happen due to the photographer's skills, but due to them being patient and able to be at great places at times to increase the likihood of having something special happen. For me this time around it was larch trees...Kerry's Mt. Hood image is out of the world, and I'd bet that he would attest that he could have gone up there 100 times and not had that happen to photograph. That's what makes this so fun---it is different and educational every time!! Larry: YES to your feelings of a scanned transparency just feeling a bit more crisp and deeper in color. I feel that way too. It's the color that I get that keeps me shooting film when I know I want a quality image to potentially result. I'm learning more with the DSLR but colors still are a bit flatter than the vibrant slide films I use. You know this is something that isn't just us either---why else would the upcoming Nikon D2H have white balance settings built in to "mimic" the enhanced color saturation of the Velvia, Provia, and Kodak VS series of films? Hmmmmm..... For those out there that wish they could learn to take better photos---you can with what you have already! Yes, there are things that might improve the odds of some of those on this board getting good results "all of the time". But you can too without needing to be hoping for magical help from someone. Walk slower....be more patient...kneel...lay down...after shooting that "documentary" style image of being-there, look further...remind yourself that there is more than one right answer on how to capture the image you want. Most often it is in that area beyond where you'll find the images that strike YOU as "hey, that's better now"! Personally I'm thrilled as well that so many people enjoy enhancing their photographic skills and sharing the results! The feeling of being out there...and then taking it home with you...is hard to match. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Larry

Larry
PostMon Oct 13, 2003 9:42 am 
I totally agree with the "slow down" factor being of particular importance in getting acceptable images. In fact, I have changed my "philosophy" over the years, and I now plan trips that might be only a few miles per day, especially in scenic country (which covers just about everywhere). I did all the "muscle trips" and peak-oriented trips, and had fun doing it. In fact, it was my whole life for many years to do hard trips and to challenge my endurance and will power. The one thing I missed on those trips -- the rewards of seeing all the beauty during the journey. I just "blew through" the pretty landscape to reach my "goal". Now, I just basically stroll, at least relatively speaking, and tend to stop often and for long periods, fiddling with the camera, or just dropping the pack and cruising out a ridge. Congruent with this "slowdown", has been a reciprocal slowdown in taking pictures. I've found that I tended to come to a wonderful spot and just put the camera up and fire away. And, as Alan indicated above...you really can't miss when you are in the middle of beautiful landscapes. But I now will certainly take that "first impression" photo, but then I'll start moving around with the viewfinder, and seeing a lot more different angles to the same general scene (also mentioned by Alan above). That usually results in a "keeper" here and there. Most important of all, however, is that I get to immerse myself into the whole schism of the landscape to a much higher degree.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 10:14 am 
Jim--that "vibrant larch" type of shot really tells the story of the day up there...seeing such color OVERLOAD in a small isolated scene. It was the only way to really capture the feel of it--to isolate a chunk of the whole--as any image that was wide angle landscape of that type of stuff just lost the feel I had. BPJ--you are like me then in that I had never been to any of the trails in this huge area of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. I sense this will change in the future for me after seeing this area and now wanting to stomp a lot of the areas accessed up Whitepine Creek, Wildhorse, Frosty Pass, and all those high lakes by Grindstone Mountain and so on. I've done so much central cascades, Teanaways, and MRNP with the easy access from Fall City...this will be a fun new area to me! The images were all shot with my standard 35mm gear. What I had with me that day for those include: Nikon F5 body 24-120mm lens 80-400mm lens 17mm lens Gitzo Mountaineer 1228 tripod I was using a lot of Kodak 100VS slide film...but I believe I shot two rolls of Provia 100F or Velvia in there too. Only other data tidbits would be use of a warming polarizer to cut through some of the smoke/haze in the area. Non polarized images were often with a 81a warming filter on. Those that know me know that I shoot almost 99% of my nature images with this on all my lenses. Years of trial and error have brought me to this point. The GREEN and BROWNS of photos are simply much more true and real to the color I see with my eye than without it...without messing up the blue/white/black colors. If I am shoot a scene in more snow and less green I won't use it. But as long as the greens/browns/reds/yellows dominate a scene I will. It is a GREAT tool for wildflower, wildlife, and most macro photography so it suits me very well. Many photographers I have talked with do this as well, especially wildlife photographers. Moose Peterson, David Cardinal, George Lepp sometimes, etc.... The one downside? The darn F5 weighs about 512 pounds on a day when I'm tired! dizzy.gif That all said, YOU can get these same quality of images from that G3 of yours---keep trying and the most important thing: get behind your camera and take photos as much as possible and learn what works for you and what doesn't! You have abilities for filter use and everything with that puppy...so go for it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 12:33 pm 
Army tanks for the info Sir Alan. How about I go with you up there NEXT late summer? I'd like to watch you select your depth of field and shutter. Ive been playing with the idea of buying a mamiya 645 for some time now. I doubt that i could ever be SUPER KERRY and his 4x5 M1 Abrahms field camera! TB hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 9:33 pm 
Say, you'd have to knock me into a coma to not want to go back up there again next October...I can't believe I won't do that area almost annually now. Keep it in mind and we'll roam up in there! You'll like Cup Lake a ton, I just know it. It usually has ice in it until end of August--good swimming lake for you. biggrin.gif I've long thought of the medium format world and that Mamiya stuff is so nice. Only reason I haven't is that I'm still limited on time in the field as the two kids are still fairly young...and what time I am shooting is for projects I need to work on. So I feel I wouldn't utilize it enough yet. But I bet that changes in a few years. I get to borrow a friends from time to time to keep my interest in it high. up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 10:43 pm 
Ok then, its a plan. This time (or earlier) next year. How about 4-6 days up there? I'll have a M-format set up by then. It'll be a good experience. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Kerry

Kerry
PostWed Oct 15, 2003 1:29 pm 
Alan Bauer wrote:
Take other stunning images we see posted here -- they not only happen due to the photographer's skills, but due to them being patient and able to be at great places at times to increase the likihood of having something special happen. For me this time around it was larch trees...Kerry's Mt. Hood image is out of the world, and I'd bet that he would attest that he could have gone up there 100 times and not had that happen to photograph. That's what makes this so fun---it is different and educational every time!!
Alan, Amen! I couldn't agree with you more. There's a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time. I've yet to capture a beatiful sunset sitting at my desk. There's an old addage in photography that says "f8 and be there" that basically sums it up well. It doesn't matter who you are or what kind of equipment you use, if you're not there, you won't get the good photos. In large format, we have our own version: "f22 and be there - 20 minutes early". Due to the slow cumbersome nature of setting up a shot with a large format camera, you have to learn to anticipate what's going to happen. For scenes like my Mt. Hood shot and many of the others on my web site, I find myself playing a game of "hurry up and wait". When I see a potential shot developing, I scramble madly to get in the right spot, get everything set-up, composed and ready to shoot. Then I wait patiently for the light to come. Sometimes it does, many times it doesn't. The point is, you have to be there and be ready when it does happen. And if it doesn't, oh well. Maybe next time, maybe not. I'd rather spend time in a beautiful location waiting for the special light that doesn't come than sitting at my desk breathing conditioned air under artificial light (that is always predictable, but never special). Way back when I first started submitting my images to publishers, one very wise editor gave me some good advice: "capture a recognizable subject under special conditions and you're guaranteed a big seller". She was right, most of my best selling images fit that description to a tee. This involves lot of hard work and an occasional stroke of good luck - although I'm a firm believer that we create our own "luck" by being prepared and being in the right place at the right time. There are some places I've been to over and over and never gotten anything special. There have been other places (Delicate Arch, for example) where I've been blessed by truly spectacular and unique conditions on my very first visit. I have a couple of article ideas I've been kicking around. One is about photographing subjects or locations that have been shot so much they've become cliche' - like Delicate Arch, Half Dome, etc. This is similar to Alan's comment "it is different and educational every time". Don't foresake the familiar just because it's been photographed by others. Go, enjoy it, and try to capture your own unique special moment. The second article would be about capturing the decisive moment in landscape photography. It would include several examples (like my Mt. Hood shot, and The Needles at Twilight) and describe the preparation went into those images, along with what happened before, during and after "the shot" was made. Although there is a certain amount of talent behind creating great images, it really comes down to the old chesnut about 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration. Even though I shoot large format, I admire many of the "big name" 35mm shooters like the late Galen Rowell and Art Wolfe. On top of their creative and artistic talent, the amount of hard work and time they put into building their bodies of work is staggering. I always get a kick when I hear someone say, "I could make images like that too if I had all the gear they have and visit all the same exotic locations". Fine, do it. As someone who tried full-time nature photography as a career, I know how much time and effort these guys have put into photography, and I admire their had work and dedication. So, executive summary: get out there every chance you get. If you get a special photo, great. If not, time spent with nature is still time well spent. Beats sitting at a desk any day. Kerry

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed Oct 15, 2003 1:58 pm 
Kerry & all, you brought up one of the most thought-about things in photography with the "dilema" of taking yet another photo of a well-photographed object. That can be narrowed even further to a photo taken from the same spot, angle, etc. as an often-shot image. Sometimes because of few choices you almost do have to take the picture in the same spot as everyone before you. You're absolutely right though that a subject's popularity/ over-exposure shouldn't stop someone from taking THEIR stab at it. There are so many variables involved- lighting, clouds, people in the picture, animals, etc. that you might just capture that definitive moment. I just look at this "problem" of taking yet another picture of Half Dome, Mt. Rainier, etc. as a challenge and practice if nothing else! Someone just might be standing there with a camera when The Mountain decides to reawake after its long slumber and all of a sudden that oft-taken view becomes pretty special. smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 15, 2003 2:37 pm 
I'd like to see some of Kerry's Enchantments photos. About here are two of the most "well-photographed objects" in the Enchantments. What about it Kerry. Show us some stuff. hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif TB

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed Oct 15, 2003 9:55 pm 
Hi Kerry-- thanks for stepping in and yep, you're correct on all accounts as well. The one thing I like to remind people who really are jealous of the quality of photography that "is produced by certain people" is that the spectacular images that are most often showcased are NOT the norm for photographs taken. They are the gem in the gravel pile of images...each trip will yield a good number of keepers...but it can take many trips to get an image that truly will blow away even other high caliber photographers. It isn't the equiptment like you said...it isn't my F5 nor your large format that choose what to put in the frame. Getting to the remarkable places is 90% of the work. More of us than you might think could take images like Art Wolfe, Moose Peterson, etc... if we had the resource of TIME and PATIENCE to get to the locations these people strive for. All of these photographers will tell you that about any image they see they could come back with something at least as good...but you need to get there first. I had a wonderful in-depth discussion about this very thing with Art Wolfe when I interviewed him this past July for a story. Now I'll go look at my crappy set of spider images I took today...spectacular, AWESOME light and web design with rain droplets...but I didn't take the TIME to go get the tripod from the house to do it right with patience...hand held quickies since I had to head to school in 3 minutes to go stomp in the woods with 70 3rd graders on a field trip...but that's a different story. smile.gif

Larry

Larry
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 12:08 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Army tanks for the info Sir Alan. How about I go with you up there NEXT late summer? I'd like to watch you select your depth of field and shutter. Ive been playing with the idea of buying a mamiya 645 for some time now. I doubt that i could ever be SUPER KERRY and his 4x5 M1 Abrahms field camera! TB hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif
BPJ: for your information -- http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/mfd-field.shtml

Bob K

Bob K
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 12:12 am 
Art Wolfe might be the hardest working photographer ever, but it's more than just time and patience. He does have a level of natural artistic talent that you see in very few nature photographers. You can go to the exact same locations at the exact same time and he will 'see' the better pictures and know how to get them with (the little) equipment he carries. The last few years, because he needs to sustain his business, he has produced so much so fast, that it has become a matter of putting in the time for him. Most of his pictures now follow the same formulas that he knows will automatically sell, and don't show the creativity and thought of his earlier work. But I guess that's also what makes him great. Along with being fit, working hard and having artistic talent, he also has the business and people skills that afford him the opportunity to travel to all the remote places in the world.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 1:59 am 
Thanks Lare. I think I might move up to a 645AF Mamiya. Get a couple backs (one color one B&W) and a good wide angle (35mm) lens. THEN it's off to a damn class! TB

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 4:48 am 
There have been many times where I have been in a place where the scenery is really cool. But no matter how hard I try I can't get a photo that represents what I had seen. It's like everything around me, and not in the photo, makes it far less than the actual visual experience. Know what I mean? Awesome being there but just plain jane crap in the photo? What do you do? Thanks, NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 9:38 am 
Newbie, keep pluggin' away and read up on photo how-do books, websites, talk with photographers like the excellent ones who frequent our board. I'm slooowly learning to eliminate the same mistakes I make when taking pictures, like expecting this electro-mechanical contraption to "see" the world as I see it. This is a very common assumption and unfortunately it just doesn't work that way all the time. Even the best photographers "hedge" their bets by taking rolls and rolls of shots at different exposure settings, etc. so that maybe a few images will be those "keepers". Also with experience you automatically follow certain methods of photography that lesson your chances of having disappointing results. Example: shooting into the sun and not expecting "flare" to appear (unless that's something you are after creatively- another story!), or expecting images to be sharp when hand-holding the camera at slow shutter speeds. There are a zillion more of course... Here's a few instructional book titles that are frequently recommended and which I have: These were all written primarily for the novice and 35mm SLR user but digital users can benefit just as well from them: The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide to Professional Field Techniques by John Shaw The Sierra Club Guide to 35mm Landscape Photography by Tim Fitzharris Photography Outdoors by Art Wolfe & Mark Gardner Mountain Light by Galen Rowell (not a normal instructional guide as such but interesting & instructional as he describes and breaks down some of his photos.) I took the Mountaineers Photo Course years ago and found that worthwhile and really a good value. Lectures & field trips. Good luck and have fun. M&S