Forum Index > Photography Talk > Canon 35mm
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 8:42 am 
I almost always use the auto focus on the camera (btw it is a G2). I have tried the manual focus mainly for landscape (mountain shots) but typically go back to auto. I also haven't used the viewfinder much. It is mostly a slight general crispness that is the issue especially on landscapes not situations where something is in focus either foreground or background. Of course, that does happen from time to time especially trying to take plant closeups but that is a bit different from my other focus issue. The shutter lag is another item I've considered. I know the digital is definitely slower because I have the darnest time trying to get photos of one of my cats without her eyes closed (even without the flash). I think she hears the shutter click and blinks. I also think I hear the shutter and think the picture is taken but it hasn't finished. A lot of different items to look at. I definitely need to try some shots with a tripod. That will narrow it down at least to camera movement either pressing the shutter or before the picture is taken. And to also use try the viewfinder. Okay.. off to take more pictures. biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 8:49 am 
Back on the Canon SLR topic, I am actually in the market for a zoom lens for my Canon SLR. In the past, I have avoided zooms mainly because of the quality of pictures and the f-stop options. I have preferred to stay with non-zooms so I can get lens with F-stop 1.8 or so. But I'm thinking about getting a zoom for an upcoming trip so I don't have to carry both the 50 and 28. But I may not want to pay a high $$. I'm considering something in the range of a 28-70 but flexible. How should I go about shopping for the lens? Are there alternatives to Canon brand lens that are decent?

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 10:01 am 
marta wrote:
Back on the Canon SLR topic, I am actually in the market for a zoom lens for my Canon SLR. In the past, I have avoided zooms mainly because of the quality of pictures and the f-stop options. I have preferred to stay with non-zooms so I can get lens with F-stop 1.8 or so. But I'm thinking about getting a zoom for an upcoming trip so I don't have to carry both the 50 and 28. But I may not want to pay a high $$. I'm considering something in the range of a 28-70 but flexible. How should I go about shopping for the lens? Are there alternatives to Canon brand lens that are decent?
Marta, I have the predecessor to this Sigma zoom. It's the lens I use the most-very versatile, it also has a true 1:2 macro capability and a minumum shooting distance of 9". It got a good write-up in one of the photo mags. I can't remember exactly how much I paid (part of a pkg deal with camera) but I think it was under $125. Sigma is a good alternative to more expensive Canon lenses. Of course if I had the dough I'd go for Canon L pro lenses, but... smile.gif