Forum Index > Photography Talk > Nikon Coolpix 5400 opinions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 2:15 am 
I'm looking for a" medium-priced" digicam like the Nikon Coolpix 5400 ($600 @ B&H Photo, example) as a stopgap until better/cheaper DSLRs are available. Opinions? There's a few Canon G3 (G5?) users here I know, and I know it's a great camera but I don't like its lack of a wide angle. I take a lot of landscape & other shots where a wide angle is preferable so the Coolpix 5400's 28mm wide setting seems like the ticket- don't have to buy one of those funky wide angle adapters at extra $$$ either. Since the 5400 doesn't have threads for filters, though, I would need to pick up an adapter for that though. I definitely want to use a circular polarizer at times. I see where Nikon & others offer a lens hood with threads for a filter for the 5400, but I wonder if it would block the viewfinder like I've heard these adapters can do on some cameras (G3?). Anyway, I'd especially like to hear from anyone who uses this Nikon model. Thanks for any help!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 8:03 am 
No personal experience with it but here's some people's opinion; CP5400

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 9:17 am 
My two cents. Wait until the beginning of hiking season. Winter doesn't afford a lot of great photo ops and sub-DSLR digicams really don't take great indoor pictures. Many new cameras will be introduced in the coming months (including the next in the Canon G series rumored to be more compact w/ 28mm wide angle) and prices will only drop. If I were in the market today the Minolta A1 would warrant consideration.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 9:39 am 
M&S, you might PM Chubbyhubby with this question. I know that was one of the cameras he looked at before buying the coolpix 5700 I use. I can't answer your question myself -- he's the photography guy.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 12:35 pm 
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to cool my jets and see what comes out in the near term. The iMAGE A1 looks sweet but $$$- image stabilization & wide angle a plus though.