Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Excerpts from 1909 Mountaineers Annual
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 8:32 pm 
All this talk of rare books and old photographs has whetted my appetite for going through my set of Mountaineer Annuals. So here are a few tidbits that I know will interest some of you. These excerpts are taken from the November 1909 (Volume II) of the Mountaineer, the “Rainier Number”. A young woman from Chicago (Katherine Reed) wrote a piece entitled “Eastern Impressions of the Mountaineers” in which she describes the “look” of these old time mountaineers about to set out on their journey. She writes …..”…..This depot memory consists largely of boots; partly also of knapsacks, bandannas or strange-cornered packages of luncheon, worn before, behind, sideways, “any old way.” Also, there was a look about the crowd noticeably superior, if not actually condescending, to the other people at the station who did not have a good time, a mountainous time, so conspicuously advertised all over them…..” and of a Saturday walk up a trail on Rainier she writes of the participants ….” …. the individuality shown in costumes, particularly the one protected by an olive poncho cape which could also serve other protective uses, topped by a fetching straw hat on which a lovely pine branch was frescoed and finished off by little, trim, tall boots that fairly flew along and up, up, up…… “ After spending several days on the mountain she wrote “each day was different but alike delightful to experience and recall. One felt oppressed at times with having only five senses, however, active, with which to enjoy the mountain beauty investing us from every side, or to appreciate the opportunities for companionship. You had to be in a kind of hurry all the time to keep up with the sensations, thoughts and impressions that poured in upon you…..” She describes the evening programs held on the Mountain, “Perhaps no single moment so expressed the prevailing tone in Moraine Park as that, at the end of every evening program when Dr. Van Horn rose. The momentary hush that prefaced the wanderer’s night song, the instant of silence afterward to hear the bugles sound “Taps” from the ridges near by, as it echoed and re-echoed; by the darkened mountains, the increasing splendor of the stars above; the dying down of the hospitable fire below …..” She then quotes Mr. Curtis who said “The mountains either lift a man up or pull him down.” (She is probably referring to Asahel Curtis). This is just a sampling of many treasures I am especially enjoying on these rainy days when it’s more fun to read history than it is to make it. Karen Also, here is another find -- I didn't know (or perhaps I forgot) there used to be a lookout on Denny Mountain. This photo is from the 1942 edition of the Mountaineer, Volume XXXV, photo by Lawrence McKinnis.
Denny Mountain
Denny Mountain

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 10:29 pm 
Great stuff, Karen. Thanks for the tidbits. That "manlier than you" attitude of post-climb strutting was particularly amusing. Have a look at cc.com for modern day manifestations. And that Denny Pk lookout. A puzzler. There is no mention of such a structure in either Byron Fish's or Ray Krezek's books. I'm thinking that Mr McKinnis is calling Granite Mtn L/O by another name. The background ridge across the SFK Snoqualmie matches up, and Granite Mountain DID have a cupola lookout from 1924 until 1955....so that's just what it would have looked like in 1942.

Oldtimer

Oldtimer
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 10:40 pm 
If you really want to read some interesting trip reports in Mountaineer Annuals, read the late 1800 and early 1900 ones. Years ago, I went looking for something in what was then known as UW Northwest Collections (It now is called Special Collections). While looking for the "something," I stumbled onto the old trip reports. Took me about 2 days before I could get back to looking for what I was after.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 10:45 pm 
I think that the lookout in question was on Granite also somewhat north of the present one. There is a large flat spot there. Here is a picture looking toward Glacierpeak that seems to match up

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 11:00 pm 
In this shot (March 1979) the camera is facing south. (photographer is being targeted by his wife's snowball). The peaks of Silver and Humpback and the nub between them match up with the 1942 horizon.
granite79
granite79

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Nov 19, 2003 11:04 am 
Karen, my favorite parts of those are the descriptions of the meals. Pack trains with 50 horses bringing hundreds of pounds of butter, flour, fruit, etc, so that they could have 7 course dinners, which all sound excellent. Sometimes they'd drive in a cow for fresh milk or beef. I think about this sometimes when I am eating my freeze dried dinners in camp.

salish

salish
PostFri Nov 28, 2003 8:10 pm 
Karen, Another great find - which I've come to expect from you smile.gif Wonderful stories and one of the reasons why I treasure the book Cascade Voices so much. Thanks, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.