Forum Index > Food & Grub > Trail Snacks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mt. Frank

Mt. Frank
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 3:37 pm 
Interesting, I always lose my appitite when hiking. I always carry snacks, but can't remember the last time I actually ate any of it. Anyone else get this way on the trail?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 4:08 pm 
Yep. I stay thirsty, but nothing really sounds appetizing -- certainly nothing I'm carrying. Other times I'll munch like darn squirrel.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Mt. Frank

Mt. Frank
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 4:27 pm 
Last summer I did the High Divide loop in the Olympics. Didn't eat a thing for 20 miles. Then passed the Little Bear restaurant on the way to Forks. The special was pork chops. Oh mama! Yum!

Kirt

Kirt
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 4:48 pm 
Mt. Frank wrote:
Interesting, I always lose my appitite when hiking. I always carry snacks, but can't remember the last time I actually ate any of it. Anyone else get this way on the trail?
My appetite goes way down, especially while on the trail during my hikes. I tend to catch up to some degree during dinner time. While hiking during the day and expending greater amounts of energy, my snacks rarely get touched. Lots of water though.

Andrew

Andrew
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 9:07 pm 
I usually start eating once I arrive at the destination. If I don't, then I usually eat on the way back. Cargo shorts and ziploc bags are my best friends. smile.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 9:13 pm 
Quote:
"Enigma" Cargo shorts and ziploc bags are my best friends. smile.gif
Wow, now I don't feel so bad about having Quark as one of mine. tongue.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 9:15 pm 
Snarky, snarky. Tsk tsk!

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 9:17 pm 
Sometimes I bring chips and salsa, packed in tupperware and ice, on day hikes. The fat and salt and spicy taste awfully good after exercise. But, just like at Mexican restaurants, I eat too many and get really full and lazy. So I try to stave off my Mexican cravings and find an excuse to drive back to Ballard through south Seattle so I can stop at Coliman on S. Marginal Way. A salted nut roll is a good backpacking snack. It doesn't melt or get smooshed and satisfies both your salty and sweet craving.

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 10:07 pm 
I usually have homemade trail mix and a store bought granola bar on the trail. I'm usually hiking around lunch time, so that way I don't have to stop. wink.gif Trail Mix Recipe Granola bars I like: Bear Valley Frunit 'N' Nut Pemmican GOLEAN Vanilla Spice Cake Barbara's Nature's Choice Bars etc....

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 10:48 pm 
You've gotta eat. Your blood sugar drops and you stop feeling hungry and eventually you start feeling bad. I've been with people on more then one occasion who weren't eating properly and started feeling terrible. Minutes after being forced to eat a few cookies they start feeling better. I take whatever strikes my fancy when I'm stocking up for the trip. I stay away from chocolate unless it is late in the year and I can be sure it won't melt. Whatever I'm taking I snack regularly.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jan 08, 2004 11:43 am 
Salish wrote:
My buddy and I packed a half case each of Miller High Life into the Enchantments last August. The packs were pretty conservative, but ended up approaching 50 lbs with the addition of the beer. It was much lighter coming out smile.gif
There is an answer to make it lighter. Buy beer in plastic containers. I know at Costco they sell hard lemonade in plastic containers.

Art is an adventure.

PostThu Jan 08, 2004 12:02 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
You've gotta eat. Your blood sugar drops and you stop feeling hungry and eventually you start feeling bad. I've been with people on more then one occasion who weren't eating properly and started feeling terrible. Minutes after being forced to eat a few cookies they start feeling better. I take whatever strikes my fancy when I'm stocking up for the trip. I stay away from chocolate unless it is late in the year and I can be sure it won't melt. Whatever I'm taking I snack regularly.
100% with you on this one. I carry snacks in my pockets and eat constantly. That is one of the great perks of hiking. You get to eat like a pig. Before, during, and after. up.gif

C Dog

C Dog
PostThu Jan 08, 2004 4:37 pm 
PAP wrote:
100% with you on this one. I carry snacks in my pockets and eat constantly. That is one of the great perks of hiking. You get to eat like a pig. Before, during, and after. up.gif
Indeed. I loves me my peanut butter-n-jelly sammiches in the summer. wink.gif If the bread's frozen when I make it in the morning, by the time I eat it at lunch it's defrosted and the jelly hasn't created a soggy mess. Good stuff.

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jan 08, 2004 7:27 pm 
Plain bagels work okay as a substitute for peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches. They stand up well in the pack, but the real problem is the thickness--they are too thick. Wonder Bread is the best tasting, but also the mushiest. Flour tortillas work okay too but they are too thin.

Art is an adventure.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jan 09, 2004 2:19 am 
Stefan wrote:
Wonder Bread is the best tasting, but also the mushiest.
No sir, you are not correct. Wonder Bread is only the best tasing food when compared to battery acid and dirty fryer oil from the Licton Springs Taco Bell.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods