Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hennessy Hammocks rock!  A-sym - A-sym hammock less than 2 pounds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 06, 2002 8:34 pm 
Boy I gotta tell you I love this new Hennessy A-sy hammock. What a deal. Full shelter under two pounds. That and you can carry a VERY light foam pad for it as you arent on the ground. I'm going to take it on trips this year that I know will offer me good TREE service! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Jun 06, 2002 9:25 pm 
Joe, glad to hear you are a convert now. They are sweet. I bought a Big Agnes Zirkel bag for mine, it has a sleeve for a pad to slip into and this should make a difference. Last year I had a couple cold nights because I didn't have adequate pad under me. Lots of info on Sgt. Rock's webpages where he covers both the asy HH and the UL HH models. My Stephenson 2R is sadly neglected now. agree.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 06, 2002 10:06 pm 
Ya, I bet my Stephenson 2X and Bibler I tent will be neglected too! I bought a closed cell foam pad that is .375 inches thick that I hope will work well with the hammock. What do you think? The A-sym is this really cool brown color. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jun 07, 2002 8:52 am 
Guys. That looks like a bear bag. It also looks cramped for two people. What if you have to go pee during the night?

Art is an adventure.

PostFri Jun 07, 2002 9:27 am 
They look interesting. But I have trouble finding a tree that works for hanging food in many of the places I camp. Seems like these would be limited to lower elevation camping where the trees are big enough to support??

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Jun 07, 2002 10:18 am 
Two words: bear tetherball. smile.gif

janders

janders
PostFri Jun 07, 2002 10:45 am 
mcaver wrote:
Two words: bear tetherball. smile.gif
Ok, THAT is a funny image! lol.gif

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing

PostFri Jun 07, 2002 11:25 am 
My over-night trips are limited to Jul thru Oct usually. Off-trail and above trees that are large enough to support one of these. But if I were a tree-hugger I'd go for one for sure. wink.gif

janders

janders
PostFri Jun 07, 2002 2:11 pm 
A question for you hammock fans: from the untrained eye, it looks like your back would be entirely unsupported and bent the whole night. I picture being really sore after a night in one of these. Is that not the case? confused.gif

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Jun 07, 2002 2:24 pm 
A fair question, but no, in the HH style of hammock, you don't sleep banana shape, you actually lay out almost flat when you are inside of the hammock. It is hard to describe this but a lot of info is provided by a guy who slept out in his probably over 100 nights. Click here for his reviews of the original Hennessey's and then for even more detail and lots of pics, click here for the one Backpacker Joe is using. For more info: http://www.hennessyhammock.comHad my HH out this week...Sweet. BPJ, did you get out in yours?

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Jun 07, 2002 2:49 pm 
I was just being a smartass with the tetherball comment, which is my nature. tongue.gif Those hammocks sound very interesting and I am seriously thinking about getting one. Thanks for the pics and links, it really gives me an idea how they work. Are you able to sleep comformatbly on your stomach in them? For some strange reason, I can only get a really good night's sleep on my stomach. dizzy.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Jun 07, 2002 3:13 pm 
Believe it not Mcaver, that tetherball thought was one of the first things that hit me when I first read about these things 18 months ago. I've done a lot of hiking in the Sierras and in Yosemite, I'd take my tent. Can I sleep on my stomach? Yes but not as well as on my sides. The newer A-Sym model that Backpacking Joe has may be a little easier to do that in. I've slept out in my HH for about twelve nights now and I can tell you, they are flat out comfie. Click here for one of the many threads at the lightweight backpacker forums worth a read. Pic of Sgt rock sleeping on his stomach (can be done) Using the HH as a chair

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 16, 2002 8:59 pm 
C.H., nope I was painting the house. But I did play with it and figured out how to attatch it to a tree. Had some trouble with that in the begining. I dont quite understand yet how you can sleep on the angle, and/or on your side! I have to admit, I did feel pretty insecure letting all my weight down the first few times HELP! TB biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 16, 2002 9:07 pm 
C.H., where did you go? TB

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jun 16, 2002 9:21 pm 
Sorry BPJ, the phone started ringing for Father's day. I understand the insecure feeling initially because you just can't believe that kevlar rope is going to hold you, but trust me (car salesman talk), it does so very nicely. As far as sleeping diagonally, I don't have any kind of a problem with that. I get into the HH, sit back, pull my feet up and (if in sleeping bag), turn my body to a 45-60 degree angle. I do admit to a learning curve initially. The first night out last year was near Lake Stuart, it had gotten late so I found a couple of likely off trail spots and put it up before I lost the daylight. It was a good thing cause it took me a half hour to get it hitched up right. Now I can do it in just a couple of minutes. I've got a pic of the Stuart one showing the first night set up ( some snow in background) Anyway, it is a different way to camp.