Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hennessy Hammocks rock!  A-sym - A-sym hammock less than 2 pounds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jun 16, 2002 9:41 pm 
My son in law used his HH for the first time at Hyas Lake. We got rained on pretty good during the night and he stayed dry. He slept great, first time out. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 16, 2002 10:21 pm 
Thanks CH for the reply. I dont figure to have to much trouble. That asym model I've got is pretty nice. 1.8 pounds. What are you using for a relective pad? I got a .375 inch foam pad I am going to try! What do you think of using a pad that thin? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 7:27 am 
BPJ, I tried the reflective pad (both a emergency bivy and a reflector blanket) with no luck. My best luck came using a UL thermarest long (not weight smart but just in case I had to use the HH as a tent) after I had sprayed some thermarest non slide spray (no longer available) on the underside of the thermarest and the inside of the HH. Now I have the Big Agnes Zirkel bag and I slide a closed foam pad into the sleeve and this does the trick. I need to try this in cold weather but I had no luck with the window shades and some of the other gimmicks guys have used to deal with convective loss. My son in law just uses a thin closed pad and it worked fine for him. I think each of us has a learning curve on this but the whole concept is so different that I find it worthwhile and kind of adventurous. (need to get back to climbing I guess) wink.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 10:06 pm 
Hammocks? Not above tree line unless you tie off to rocks or ice crystals. Never would use such a thing sorry to say, I like the ground too much.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 10:15 pm 
Mc-Pil, CH has used it in the chantments. You can find areas to use this if you are motivated!!! Some areas no, but most yes! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 10:17 pm 
BJ, you are probably right, never too old to learn new things. I was juts being a smart ass and admit it.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 10:21 pm 
Using hiking poles they work ok above timberline. I've actually used mine in one situation where adequate trees weren't available. Using the thermarest pad and a tyvek groundcloth I carry, it worked like a small tent. Sgt. Rock shows a pic of one set up without trees. I don't have pics of my own set up but these two will give you an idea of how it can work: http://www.hikinghq.net/images/MVC-001F.JPG http://www.hikinghq.net/images/MVC-002F.JPG

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 10:50 pm 
Asym. Yee-haw! TB