Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Native History of Cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dreamr

dreamr
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 12:41 am 
Hello you history buffs. I have spent several days reading through all of the wonderful posts in this section. There is a huge amount of information here to digest. I come away with my primary interests still unsatisfied though, so I thought maybe y'all could help. I am interested in learning more in regards to the native ancestors of this area. I have done a bit of looking on the net, but find only history relating to interactions with the white settlers. This is all very interesting, but I am interested in the native legends, folklore and pre-white history. My particular areas of interest are Mt. Baker area (Nooksack?) ,and the area consisting of the Darrington and Verlot ranger districts. Then of course Mt. Index holds some power over me, and I would like to know more of it's legends. I love that lump of rock, but it awes me in ways that are difficult to explain. Any wisdom you could offer, or resources you know of would be greatly appreciated.

dreamr, One who oftens finds themselves sitting quietly in the mists waiting for the return of a lost age.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
OverTheHill

OverTheHill
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 1:28 am 
You'll find a good deal of information on Native American trails and routes in the Cascades in Fred Beckey's masterpiece: "Range of Glaciers" Plan on spending several sessions to read this hefty volume, but you'll be forevermore rewarded every time you venture into the cascades, or even read a map or guide book.

JimK

JimK
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 8:19 am 
How about a book called "Indian Legends of the Northwest". Here is a link to buying a 1953 version and a 2003 version. Prices start at $1.00 + media mail shipping. Indian Legends of the Northwest Here is one page on the net: Northwest Culture There are links from that page to many others.

dreamr

dreamr
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 10:02 am 
Thanks for the replies! I just spent the last couple hours reading and was pleased with the information available. I am still interested in digging deeper into the history and stories of the many places we visit in the mountains, as well as just general cultural information. I keep hoping that one day I will bump into a tribal elder, who still keeps the old ways. And would be willing to share the wisdom with a youngster of a different race who has a kindred heart/spirit. I did run into a elderly native in the town of Maple Falls, who I got an opportunity to speak with a bit. Our conversation did not go as far as I would have liked. But it was a pleasant, and informative interlude. Not to mention helpful as my arm had nearly doubled in size from some insect bite, and he was kind enough to lend me a bit of a very effective balm. Still not sure what the heck bit me, but it must have been a spider to get in the tent so easily.

dreamr, One who oftens finds themselves sitting quietly in the mists waiting for the return of a lost age.
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 12:28 pm 
You might check out the offerings of the Royal British Columbia Museum. It is in Victoria. I picked up a book on edible plants used by the coastal first people by N. Turner from there that was very good. Their emphisis is BC but also N washington.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 1:40 pm 
This is not the easy answer you probably want to hear, but... Getting good info about American Indians is hard. I know from the work I've done with Indian professors at the UW that there is so much misinformation out there. So often in the past whites who wrote studies were purposely given misinformation by their Indian informants in an attempt to keep traditions and history somewhat secret (after all, whites had taken most everything else from them, why should they share one of the last things they could still claim as their own?). There's also been so much cultural disruption that in many instances Indians just don't remember a lot of traditions from the past. I've done research for the NPS on Indian land use on San Juan Island and I can ask 10 different Lummis about, say, traditional use of fire in camas cultivation and I'll get 10 different answers. There are also just some really badly done anthropological studies out there-the older studies are often especially bad. You can start by looking through this bibliography from the UW-it might have some relevant info: Books If you are REALLY interested in this, I'd contact the tribes directly, tell them what you are interested in, and ask if they have any suggestions. There might be specific books or articles by members of each Indian group that they could point you to. This link has tribal info: Tribes This might be more than you want to do, but you sound really interested. You also might not get anywhere-especially if they think you are one of those New Age types who wants to appropriate certain traditions and religion to fill your own spiritual void. But, then again, if you convey a genuine, respectful interest, they might be helpful. Good luck!

Oldtimer

Oldtimer
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 10:45 pm 
Robert Mierendorf is a staff archeologist for NOCA (North Cascades National Park Service Complex). He has authored several documents about archeological aspects of the North Cascades. They aren't primarily about indians, but he does name several tribes, including Coast Salish and Interior-Salish-speaking peoples. I haven't checked NCNP web site recently; he might have something, or a link, somewhere there. In a bibliography of one of his reports, he cites "Prehistoric Indians in the North Cascades, Vol. 177, No. 3 (Geographica)." I think he's referring to something in National Geographic. He includes year 1990. He also cites "Who Walks on the Ground. In IMPRESSIONS OF THE NORTH CASCADES, edited by John C. Miles, pp. 39-53. The Mountaineers, Seattle." I think he produced a document titled "People of the North Cascades." I don't know whether that is exclusively about Indians, but they certainly would be included, seems to me. As someone said in one of the other messages, if you want to find stuff, you gotta do a lot of digging. - Oldtimer

salish

salish
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 9:03 am 
Dreamr, Glad you are interested in pursuing this history. I don't know much about local native american history in the Cascades, but you've gotten some real good advice here, especially from Kiliki. I'm a member of the Bitterroot Salish tribe (Flathead Rez, Montana) and although I was born and raised here in Seattle, I cannot pass along much knowledge of the Indians who populated the Cascades. It's a subject I am interested in myself, and I'm always learning new things about this topic. Kiliki's advice, "if you convey a genuine, respectful interest, they might be helpful", is true. It may take some persistence, and don't be put off if you are rebuffed by some people. Go to some local powwows and get a feel for how people act, think, and feel. Some tribes, including mine, have a "culture committee" usually staffed by elders of the tribe who pass along their ways to the younger people. You can contact these people and ask to speak with them about anything. Just be forewarned that it make take several times until the individual is comfortable enough with you to speak openly. The People have been burned, continuously, and can sometimes be a little reluctant to share with outsiders. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 11:42 am 
Well that is somewhat of a coincidence, Salish. I'm working with a professor right now-Luana Ross-who is Salish and grew up on the Flathead reservation.

salish

salish
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 11:51 am 
It's a small world, but then there are a lot of our tribal members living in the Seattle area. I don't know Luala Ross, but a clan check would be enlightening. Curious about what you do with tribes and NA professors. I'll drop you a PM. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Feb 21, 2004 9:11 pm 
dreamr

dreamr
PostMon Feb 23, 2004 10:17 am 
Wow y'all are great!!! Ptarmigan, I have spent a bit of time in victoria perusing their museum and the available information, and it is great. Too bad I don't live their to really dig in. Kiliki, Your reply is wonderful, though I must admit I feared that reply. I have studied pagan and shamanistic religion most of my life as my personal path. In this search I have sadly seen so much historical information corrupted and changed to meet the understanding, or needs of the seeker. I long ago lost any interest in New Age tendencies, but I suppose there are those who may perceive this differently. I don't seek to corrupt the beliefs. I seek to understand both on a spiritual level and a historical level the stories and the spirit of this land. In my experience us white men rarely have a clue about this place that as a nation we have only inhabited for a short time. When I sit on the shore of some remote lake enraptured by the place, I want to know the history, the "mythology", as well as the present beauty. One to honor the land as it has always been honored, And two just because I am curious. I will definately have to follow your advice and look into the UW. Thank you . Salish, Thank you also for your input. In Idaho I tried to initiate this kind of contact with members of the Blackfoot, and Shoshone/Bannock tribes. I found a lot of friendly people, but they were not willing to go any deeper than the surface. I suspect the fact that I was a teen and took a less than respectful approach to the quest for information contributed to this. Interestingly enough my dad was well versed on certain geograhic areas "native-folklore" as he called it. This ended up being the ice breaker with an elder while I was living in Pocatello ID. He was actually very shocked I think to find a person such as myself who knew a few of the stories, even if not perfectly told. He gladly corrected my errors, and what a hiking partner to have(my legs ache in memory lol.gif ). Sadly I only spent 4 months in that town before moving here. I am still young @ 25, but I hope come across as being sincere in my interest and respectful in my approach to the search for information. polarbear, and oldtimer, I have not yet had opportunity to pursue your resources, but thank you very much for offering them.

salish

salish
PostMon Feb 23, 2004 12:14 pm 
Dreamr - good luck in your searches. I'm sure you will find what you are looking for. Again, drop me a line if you need any further help.