Forum Index > Gear Talk > cushion innersole inserts - My feet are wearing out
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 7:21 am 
Any thoughts on the value/practicality of inserts? My boots are basically in good condition, but the innersole is getting compacted and lumpy. THe problem really may be as much my aging feet as it is the boots, but either way I'd really like to improve the shock-absorption. I think I've seen this topic discussed before, but I can't find it and neither can "search". Anyway, I guess it's really two questions: are inserts helpful? and, if they are, is there a preferred brand or type (as in permanent vs removable, etc). Any suggestions for improving foot comfort appreciated. agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 7:35 am 
Scrooge, I've been using Superfeet for a couple of years now and really like them. I went to a podiatrist and he suggested them as the next best thing to custom orthotics, although my weird feet weren't bad enough for custom orthotics. My short, wide feet are getting wider as I age and now are growing too wide for my 8.5W Sundowners. After calling Dave Page I was told to try taking the Superfeet out and cut the original (worthless) footbeds that came with the boots in half, and place them back in to the boot, in order to free up some more room in the toebox. The result was a little more room in the toebox, but going back to the original Vasque footbeds made me realize how much comfort and support my Superfeet give me. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 9:19 am 

salish

salish
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 9:51 am 
I know, I thought of that, but since they cost $30 each I was tempted to be cheap. That plus the fact that I'm going to have Dave Page stretch these boots one more time and see if that helps. I may end up doing just what you suggested. This is also a really good excuse to get a new pair of boots sometime in the next year. On a related subject, for those Vasque Sundowner lovers, I spoke with Vasque/RedWing last week and discovered that, while the new Sundowners are indeed made in China (and of lesser quality), their more modern updated Sundowner II's (or whatever they are called) are made in Italy, and presumably will be of better construction than the regular Sundowner. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

PostWed Apr 17, 2002 10:56 am 
Superfeet were also recommended by the Doc that 'scoped my knee as the next best thing to custom orthodics, so I put them in my running shoes. Had been using them in my hiking footware for a few years, but to be honest I notice no difference with them.

salish

salish
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 11:46 am 
Pappy, have you taken them out of your hiking boots and gone on a hike and still noticed no difference?

PostWed Apr 17, 2002 2:19 pm 
No once I started useing them all the time in boots and trail shoes I've never taken them out. Not really a fair way to compare them I suppose. Guess what really surprised me was that I didn't notice anything when I put them in my running shoes. But, according to my wife sometimes I'm oblivious. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 2:53 pm 
Thanks. It sounds like it's worth trying something. Two more questions: - Source(s) for Superfeet? - Superfeet are pretty pricey. Anybody tried any of the ordinary insoles, like Dr Schoels? I want to get them tomorrow so I have them in place this weekend down at Long Beach. agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
salish

salish
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 7:03 pm 
Scrooge: I bought my Superfeet at that tiny ski shop at 90th & Aurora, but I can't recall their name. This is the place that took over from Tom Well's Golf and sit's between the Travelers Tavern and the corner grocery store (Stop & Rob). They have weird hours - by that I mean they are open only part of the year, usually only during ski season. They have another shop in North bend that's open year round. I have Dr. Scholl's in my work shoe and they are "okay" but not as good as Superfeet (to me) and they wore out within a few months. Pappy: my wife thinks I'm oblivious to just about everything....

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Apr 17, 2002 7:29 pm 
Thanks, Salish, that's exactly what I needed. There are three pharmacies within 5 minutes of my house. The specialty climbing shops are all about half-an-hour. Dr Scholl's will get tried this weekend. If they prove to be "good" (for me) I'll move up to "better" by summer. Okay. Okay. At the rate things are going, maybe sooner than summer. :angry: