Forum Index > Gear Talk > Why I HATE REI - Arrgh!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 2:29 pm 
Admin Note: Some of the initial posts have disappeared. I've never really had issues with REI. Some of their staff are unexperienced, but I prepare myself for this by doing as much research as possible ahead of time if I'm in the market for something new. I've always had good success with the return policy deal and having stuff ordered when it's out of stock...those two aspects are what really keep me coming back. That said, I prefer to shop at the smaller shops whenever the choice is there and practical. Just yesterday I spent an hour in Pro Mountain Sports and walked away with $250 in new gear. Jim Nelson was a great help and it was nice to have the utmost confidence in the person selling me the product. I walked away knowing that I had spent my money well. Nice feeling.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 3:06 pm 
The only reason I shop at REI is for the return policy and the convenience of checking out stuff I'm thinking of buying online.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 3:42 pm 
I have certainly been disappointed in the past with the level of outdoor knowledge at REI, lately however, I have noticed the results of a rather extensive training program that employees have been going through. I was having a terrible time with all the venting and layering for our snowshoe trips. I found their advice on the Ibex Icefall jacket with Smart Wool base layer to have solved all my problems. Now when I stop all I have to do is put my insulation layer over my Icefall Jacket. Nice change. Anyway, the level of experience and knowledge in this group far exceeds the average REI customer needs, which is where I’m sure the majority of their training is aimed. I also only use a Tikka for three-season backpacking and would be comfortable, or at least OK if I had to night hike with it, but I am no longer a beginning backpacker. My wife and I now think of REI as an afternoon at the movies or a great place to window shop and plan when the weather sucks outside. We have graduated to Stephenson’s Tents and feathered Friend’s Sleeping Bags, and like most of you, count on a select group of very special sales people for advice and purchases.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 6:33 pm 
There's been several people I've enjoyed talking to in REI's map department. There was a guy named Tom that rode my bus (back when I rode the bus) that I used to talk to quite a bit when I'd go after work. He knew the Cascades pretty well, particuarly the ALW. Another guy, can't rememer his name but he had a short black ponytail, knew quite a bit about the Olympics and the PCT. I got the idea they were both hikers. I'd go in to buy a couple of Green Trails and end up poring over the maps and chatting with them for a few hours (when they weren't busy with other customers, of course).

Fire Hiker

Fire Hiker
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 8:36 pm 
Go shop someplace else Allison, REI does not need you.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 10:09 pm 
Can't speak about the other depts at REI, but there is a lady that sells snowshoes there that's quite knowledeable about the shoes and snow camping. I'm still suspicious about that MEC lady. Maybe it's the Mona Lisa smile. biggrin.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 10:21 pm 
Well I prefer MEC but we pulled a guy from there out of glacier meadows who thought it was the Sitkum up glacier Pk.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 10:32 pm 
Forshunately it's a pretty big planet so there's good excuse for being lost at just about any spot. I still can't believe I got off the trail on the way up Sourdough Mountain. I'd probably be in Minnesota by now reading nwhikers if I had kept going. dizzy.gif paranoid.gif cool.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 28, 2002 3:40 am 
I dont care for REI in general(worked there 6 months and hated it). When there are places like Marmot (worked there 4 years and loved it) and Pro Mountain sports to go to. I LOVE highly specialized locals that offer employees that KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! That said, I'm glad that ANY outdoor shop exsists! Fire Hiker is right, if you dont like it dont go there! If you are going to go there dont crab about it.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostMon Jan 28, 2002 8:17 am 
Both at REI and at Marmot, when trying on mountaineering boots, I've been asked by the clerk, "What are you going to use these for"? My answer, confused.gif "Golf". dizzy.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 1:39 am 
Never said that I didnt want to read about it. You certainly may shop wherever you wish. My advice is to simply go elsewhere. REI may just end up becoming another Eddie Bauer.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Ari High

Ari High
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 7:48 am 
Allison, why do you continually feel the need to go to REI, have a bad experience, and then bash it so much? Just stay away from the place if you don't like it! Do you have issues with masochism? Frankly, I think the place is fine for most people. This sport is about being outside, not gear. Don't get the typical American mentality -- more stuff, Nordstrom service, me, me, me. How about walking the talk instead of talking the walk? How about more trail reports than REI bashes for 2002? Everybody else, go to Jim Nelson's shop, get all the free advice you can, then buy via the internet. That's the American way!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
numen

numen
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 10:10 am 
Any store that lets you try out the equiptment, return it beat up, gets 100 percent of my mountain gear money and in my lifetime I have only seen one. REI

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 11:13 am 
I'd have to side with Allison on this one. Any shop with hit or miss service, poor inventory, and high prices deserves to get panned, particularly one that masquerades under the "co-op" label rolleyes.gif. It's not about "me, me, me". It's about demanding a level of service, product availability, and yes return policy commensurate with the asking price. I don't often shop at Nordstrom, but when I have, my high expectations have always been met. Can't say the same for REI.

twocoots

twocoots
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 11:36 am 
I'm not sure why I'm wading into this possibly over done topic but I also worked at the Redmond REI for about six months and my comments are that yes, many of the people don't know much BUT there are some that do, the experience level of most of the readers of this site is well beyond the minimum wage capabilities of the average employee. Seek out the ones that have more in-depth knowledge. Don't waste time with people that know less than you do, ask for the "expert". Yes, they are over-priced but 1) something has to pay for their unsurpassed return policy and 2) it's a good place to do the touchy-feely thing before you buy it on sale. I don't do a lot of shopping there any more (I have just about everything by now smile.gif ) but I do think the store is worthy of support.