Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Mariners
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 am 
Let me see if I get this straight. Please correct me if I am wrong. So the Mariners are going to the playoffs because the league changed the rules about how many playoff games there would be. If the league had not changed the rules and stuck with the same rules like they had about 10 years ago, the Mariners would not have gone to the playoffs. Is that true?

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 10:28 am 
Shhh.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:38 am 
Stefan wrote:
Is that true?
Yes, that's true. Other major sports leagues have done the same like the NBA where 20 out of 30 teams make the playoffs. I don't like it at all, it's kind of like a "participation trophy"....it's all about greed and profits, more playoff games=more money for the league and the networks.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 12:36 pm 
Stefan wrote:
So the Mariners are going to the playoffs because the league changed the rules about how many playoff games there would be.
We don't actually know yet. Either the Ms or the Blue Jays will win the (top) Wild Card spot. That was invented in 1995. Given recent play on both sides it does seem more likely that Toronto will win the top spot, and we will get the invented-this-year #2 Wild Card. On principle I oppose the expansion of the Wild Card to 3 spots. Everything's different when it's your team that's in it, of course.

Chief Joseph
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 2:02 pm 
kiliki wrote:
and we will get the invented-this-year #2 Wild Card.
It's the 3rd wild card spot that was invented/added this year. The 2nd wild card spot has been around for a few years (2012 according to the internets). 2020 was a bit different with half the teams making the playoff field after a very shortened 60 game regular season. The two wild card teams had been playing a single elimination game. Now, WC#1 hosts WC #2 in a best of 3 series, all at WC#1's stadium, and the lowest seeded division winner (Cleveland in the AL) hosts WC#3 in a best of 3 series, all games in Cleveland. The most likely scenario is that Toronto holds on to WC #1 and hosts Seattle as WC #2 in the first round, with Tampa claiming WC #3 and traveling to Cleveland to play the Guardians. The other division winners, Houston and NY Yankees, have first round byes and will play the winners of the other series. ETA: I don't really like all the expansion of the number of playoff teams in several sports, especially in baseball where the whole point of the long regular season is to separate the really good teams from the decent teams. But, as you mentioned, it's different when it's your team in the mix.

Knows literally nothing
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 2:36 pm 
Oh, right, the one game playoff. Easy to forget that existed when my team wasn't in it. Though I suppose we played for that last year. I hobbled to that last game with a broken ankle. So then the answer to this
Quote:
So the Mariners are going to the playoffs because the league changed the rules about how many playoff games there would be.
...is no, unless you mean a change that happened in 2012 (#2 WC) or 1995 (#1 WC).

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 4:16 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I hobbled to that last game with a broken ankle.
Good thing they didn't call on you to pinch run!

Knows literally nothing

kiliki
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 7:58 pm 
So, the Mariners finished the regular season with 90 wins, good enough for the second wildcard spot. I think they earned their spot in the postseason. Here’s hoping they can get past the Blue Jays.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

raising3hikers
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 11:35 pm 
The Jays are going to be a tough matchup, facing the Guardians would have been better, with their weak hitting and good pitching. Someone mentioned that the M's don't do well against really good hitting teams and the Jays are one of those.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 8:48 am 
Toronto is only 2-5 against us this year. We swept them in a 4 game series which was oh so gratifying. But that was the July Mariners, who were tremendous. The September Mariners are less impressive to say the least. And all 3 games in Rogers Center will be hard. I can't decide whether to go to the watch parties at the park, or watch from under a blanket at home. Probably will choose the latter for tomorrow and see what happens.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 4:00 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I can't decide whether to go to the watch parties at the park, or watch from under a blanket at home.
Describes every Mariners fan. lol.gif

gb

gb
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 5:06 pm 
The team has terrific camaraderie. Great manager for young guys and a lot of players who believe in one another. It could be interesting. That said, unless Kelenic or one of the other young-uns rises to the occasion they are still a couple of good bats from being truly elite - at least on paper.

ScottP

ScottP
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 5:19 pm 
Baseball...that's the one with the apple-sized white ball with the red stitches?

gb

gb
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 3:06 pm 
ScottP wrote:
Baseball...that's the one with the apple-sized white ball with the red stitches?
Yeah, it is shaped like a planet; the one we live on.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 5:23 pm 
Is it bad to be happy a bunch of sailors beat the cute camp robbers, 4-0?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!