Forum Index > Photography Talk > I Purchased the Minolta A-1
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Larry

Larry
PostThu Apr 15, 2004 10:03 pm 
I had a little bit of buyer's remorse at first, and wasn't sure about it. But, it has become a sweet deal, now that I know what I'm doing, sort of. A versatile camera with every bell and whistle I could ever think of needing. Lightweight, compact, and a sharp 28-200 equivalent lens. I took a photo of the Magnolia tree, and I think it came out pretty nice. I put the camera in manual mode with a "soft" setting to soften down the petals. I wouldn't always use this effect, of course, but it worked here. So, here's a representative image of the nice sharp lens with very true color. Also, a couple of flower shots from Hayward Road two weeks ago. These were taken with the Aperture Priority mode, all other settings at default values. Files are scaled down, but you still get the idea about color rendition.
Mag Blossom
Mag Blossom
Fritillaria-Vert-Small-File
Fritillaria-Vert-Small-File
Hesperochiron-Small-File
Hesperochiron-Small-File

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 15, 2004 10:15 pm 
Hey Lare, excellent choice. For the money I think the A1 is one of the best digicams out there. You forgot to mention image stabilization which will let you leave the tripod at home. up.gif

Larry

Larry
PostThu Apr 15, 2004 10:21 pm 
Hey Tom: Good to see you, man. I'm getting freed up at work (finally) so hope to get on the Forum more. I've missed you guys. And you are right...the image stabilization works like a charm. I have a couple of shots at 1/4 second that came out clean. That is about my lower limit. I tried 1/2 second....nope. But hey, 1/4 second is just amazing, really. I think that, bang for the buck, and the very light weight and all...the A1 was a very good choice. I had a little remorse when the A2 came out. But, that is behind me, since I rarely make more than an 8x10 print. The battery life is just unbelievable. The EVF is probably the only thing that is mediocre on the camera. But frankly, I use the LCD more anyway. The EVF and the LCD both have swiveling action, although the LCD doesn't swivel as well as the Canon models. But overall...I am really, really satisfied.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Apr 15, 2004 10:53 pm 
Welcome back, Larry. smile.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Apr 16, 2004 4:59 am 
Nice photos Larry. I like the Magnolia. The soften setting added a nice touch. Glad to see you post. Please stop in again sometime and don't kill your self workin'. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Larry

Larry
PostFri Apr 16, 2004 5:26 am 
Hey, thanks Newt and Michael. Good to see you.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Apr 16, 2004 9:51 am 
Hey Larry, good thing I've been hasseling you in emails the past months so you didn't forget to come up for air again this spring/summer and have fun again! smile.gif We're still going to do Y. Canyon together this spring I hope for flowers??? While I had hoped your work would lighten up a month ago when we last spoke, I'm glad it really is happening this time for good (let's hope). Cheers, Alan <I'll contact you about a flower shoot day.....>

Larry

Larry
PostFri Apr 16, 2004 12:24 pm 
Yes, Alan! I have about a 3 week window of reduced working time. So yeah, let's talk about Y Canyon! cool.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Apr 17, 2004 11:15 am 
Larry wrote:
I had a little bit of buyer's remorse at first, and wasn't sure about it. But, it has become a sweet deal, now that I know what I'm doing, sort of. A versatile camera with every bell and whistle I could ever think of needing. Lightweight, compact, and a sharp 28-200 equivalent lens. I took a photo of the Magnolia tree, and I think it came out pretty nice. I put the camera in manual mode with a "soft" setting to soften down the petals. I wouldn't always use this effect, of course, but it worked here. So, here's a representative image of the nice sharp lens with very true color. Also, a couple of flower shots from Hayward Road two weeks ago. These were taken with the Aperture Priority mode, all other settings at default values. Files are scaled down, but you still get the idea about color rendition.
Hi Larry, Moose and Squirrel here. Thanks for posting your A-1 comments and as always your great photography. I'm seriously considering that model or the new A-2. They definitely seem to be great values what with all their features. I have a film Canon Rebel w/ 28-80 Sigma lens & a Canon std. 80-200 zoom which I rarely use.(plus I use an older 1.3mp Oly digicam-pretty limited) The Minolta's zoom range is perfect for my mostly landscape work with occasional macro stuff. In my research some reviews are down on the A-1's resolution (especially for its price) and the EVF- which you mentioned. Something about white pixels showing up on the viewfinder screen & the image not always seeming to be in "real-time" for example. Is this what you found? I use manual focus quite a bit for selective focussing & wonder if you found any major issues with using the viewfinder. A lot of the camera's positives you mentioned are echoed everywhere you read about it. I wonder if the A-2's 8 MP sensor is more bark than bite, I hear from Tom at nwhikers and others that more MP's crammed onto a sensor don't always make for better images- actually increase noise, etc? Thanks for any feedback you can offer and look forward to more nwhikers posts from you in the future! BTW- the location in your avatar, is that for real? biggrin.gif Sounds too much like a Murf-free zone if ya catch my meaning! biggrin.gif Take care, M&S -

Larry

Larry
PostMon Apr 19, 2004 11:12 pm 
Hey, good to see you! I don't like the Electronic View Finder. It seems almost useless. The image is blocky, and it's just not clear enough to be of use for manual focusing. On the other hand, the LCD screen works just great for manual focusing. I nearly always use the LCD. That said, I would look at the A2 EVF, because it is supposed to be the best EVF in the business... I've already seen the A2's images at higher ISO settings, and I can't really tell the difference between the A1 and A2. I think that the "noise wars" are always sort of misleading, because the usual way of comparison is with insanely cropped and blown up images, and parts of images. For up to 11x14, I frankly think the A1 does fine. If I am going to go more than 11x14 for some reason (which is just about never) then I would revert to the old Yashica Mat medium format. I also did not see any difference in image quality between the A2 and the A1, from the pictures that I saw. So...bottom line...I would get the A1 still, for my needs, rather than pay big bucks for the A2. Unless....the EVF was REALLY that good on the A2. But now that the A2 is out, the A1 is at a great price point. Honestly and unequivocally...after a little bit of immediate remorse...I absolutely love the A1. It has the same feature set as the A2 at a bargain price, comparatively. It is light for backpacking, it is versatil, and the macro mode is very nice. Color rendition is totally spot-on. Manual focusing takes a little getting used to, but when you "get it", there is no problem. The image stabilization is superb. I'm attaching a typical shot from the A1 that was not processed at all in Photoshop, except for cropping. This was hand-held at 1/4 second. Sharp enough for me. And again, the color rendition is nothing short of the best I've ever seen. VERY true to what you see with your eye, as far as color. A good imaging chip, for sure. So...not JUST because I own it, but in a very honest sense...I am very, very pleased with this camera.
TrilliumCloseElegansHoriz
TrilliumCloseElegansHoriz

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Apr 19, 2004 11:31 pm 
Thanks Larry for the info, very nice of you. I've done some exhaustive research and the A1 & A2 sure seem to have a LOT going for them. Every review mentions how good the A2's EVF is, as you said the best in the business right now. I'll have to check them out in person, or at least the A2 in stores. Thanks again! M&S

Larry

Larry
PostMon Apr 19, 2004 11:40 pm 
M&S: I added a little to my post, about the image stabilization, along with a sample picture using the Anti-Shake "on", at 1/4 second. Yeah, I would check out the A2 EVF, and if it seemed really that good, then I would consider the A2. Again...I don't think you'd gain much with the 8MP over the 5MP, unless you were making big prints. But, it might be worth the extra bucks if the EVF works for you. Other than the EVF...I would get the A1 and buy the battery pack option, and probably the wide angle adapter, that gives you down to 22mm on the wide side.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Apr 20, 2004 1:03 am 
Thanks. Very nice pic- looks good to me for a 1/4 sec exposure, handheld! I probably wouldn't be enlarging any pics past 11 x14, but as I say that I hesitate... these newer printers that produce such nice prints like 13x19 for example have me intrigued but then I really wonder how often will I need a print that big? And if very occasionally then having a lab do it might make more sense. A good print that size would probably require the A2's 8MPs- yet I've got worries from all you hear about 8 MP sensors' increased noise. Auugh, decisons. decisions. I've read that for at least the 6MP DSLR sensors - they beat these latest round of 8MP sensors. It would be nice to get my hands on an A1 and A2 to actually see the viewfinder viewing differences- its supposed to be quite dramatic- if that's even really an issue though-might not be. Minolta ad blurbs say the A2 will make a print up to 11x17 @ 200dpi. The DiMAGE A1 can produce 13 x 17", 150-dpi prints or 6.5 x 8.5" photo-like prints. Have you printed an 8x10 or similiar from your A1 and what did you think? Sounds like the two main issues for me to decide on are the viewfinder differences and how big a decent print can I make. Other than that like you said the cameras are identical. There's a price difference of around $250 riding on my final decision. lol.gif paranoid.gif

Larry

Larry
PostTue Apr 20, 2004 12:38 pm 
So, it looks like your decision (and I know how tough it can be to make a decision) rests on the following factors: 1. Is the EVF worth it? (Not sure. I sure like the LCD view though). 2. Will a 13x17 look decent from an A1? (Absolutely. I have a 13x17 print from the A1 and it is as crisp as anything I've printed off of a 35mm transparency. I also have a 16x20 from the A1 that just blows me away). 3. Is noise a factor? (I don't think noise is a factor in either camera, unless you are going to crop only a 25% portion of the digital image, and then enlarge it significantly. Again...I think "noise" is overrated for us people who only enlarge to about 13x17 or 16x20. If we are really going to be concerned with noise, then we could always use Noise Ninja or similar to correct it). So, based on the above, you are okay with either the A1 or the A2. The only variable left is the EVF variable. That is where the decision will lie, whether it's worth the extra $250 to $300. It might just be worth it. Definitely go see the cameras at a camera shop. Probably worth your trip to the nearest shop. Or...go with an online store with a good reputation, like Buy.com, so you have the ability to return it if you don't like it, within ten days or so. Either way...if you ultimately decide on a Minolta...they certainly have that "feel" in the hand. Robust. The A1 "feels like it isn't going to break very easily". I like that. It's a joy to use, and I can manipulate "on camera" rather than in Photoshop, for the most part.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Apr 20, 2004 12:58 pm 
Hi there Larry, caught ya here near the same time. Sounds like fairly big prints are fine with the A1- I wouldn't be going any larger than your 16x20. If the LCD view is good for you and its ability to flip up is certainly nice then whether or not the EVF is average might not be an issue. My issue would be trying to see an object with either at low light levels (I wear glasses) clearly to confirm good focus or twiddle the manual focus. Reviews seem to say the LCD brightness and clarity is good at lowlight levels- even the A1 EVF was said to be viewable at lower levels than expected with an EVF. I'm going to check out the two models today and hope the A1 will past muster since it is such a bargain now, and the savings could buy a good memory card. Thanks for your help, yes, these decisions are kinda tough!