Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Web site issue again - Need help quick!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 2:53 pm 
Ok, I need to put up a website lickity split. Ideally, within the next couple days it should be up and running - the sooner the better. I need to be able to post lots of pictures. I think they will be about 20 KB each. If this place offers some sort of ordering/credit card transaction type thing, then that would be awesome. Does anything like that come with a website? Or is that something I have to handle outside of the website? I do have a domain name registered, though it will have to change at some point this year. There's a free 3 page website that can come with my domain name but there are only spaces for a few pics. I need lots of room for pics. I need to be able to display pics I took at a dog show last weekend, and for future events. I really don't have time to do any research on this, so if any of you already have a little know-how on this and can shed some light on the subject for me or steer me in a progressive direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 3:33 pm 
Pair.com (that hosts this and my photo website) has lots of space and lots of addons you can get, including a credit card/shopping cart package. They are a do-it-yourself place, though -- they don't do websites for you, but give you the tools you need to do one yourself. Prices are pretty good too. Here's a list of what you get with each account type and prices, and here's a list of add-on options. They also do domain hosting through a side company for very good prices. I've been very happy for the 3+ years I've been with them.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 4:03 pm 
Catwoman, if you just want a place to sell your photos your best bet might be dotPhoto Pro at dotphoto.com. It's free, quick, and easy, and they allow you to set your own price for prints.

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Apr 25, 2002 6:40 pm 
Thanks Tom, but I don't want to sell my pics off of scanned images. Plus, if the website has a high res. scan then the customers can just download and print them themselves - for free. I want to have them professionally printed through a pro lab where they proof and do quality printing, and any cropping and adjustments can be made, if necessary.

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 4:49 pm 
ok, I'm starting to panic! I can't even do geocities because they're pagebuilder thing isn't working! My futile effort at trying to build a page with Dreamweaver is looking ridiculous. I tried signing up with 100free.com and it appears there's something wrong with their site because nothing's working. I'm afraid to pay for one right now until I can actually figure out how the hell to design a site. Even if I did pay for one I don't know if I'd have all the right stuff to get my ugly attempt at a website out there. I'm losing precious time. If anyone can help me - please help me! waah.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 5:58 pm 
catwoman, if you're in a hurry, why don't you try out one of those free pictures sites like dotphoto? you can prevent people from downloading the full size original.

-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 8:14 pm 

hiker

hiker
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 8:50 pm 
Catwoman, I'm not sure how much the classes offered by Photobition cost but you might want to look into them. IT looks like they have stuff on Dreamweaver. Photobition also does a great job on print enlargements. Go down there, get a print enlarged, and jaw with the counter people about what you are trying to do. http://classes.photobitionsea.com/index.html Have you ever thought of trying to sell your slides to stock photo places. I'm not too familiar with it but one of the largest firms, Getty Images has a location in seattle. Go to Barnes and Noble. I think they have a book called 2002 Photographer's Market or something like that. They list alot of places to market your work from stock photo to contests, magazines etc. Back to web pages you can also check out community college classes or do a google search on +dreamweaver +tutorials. Hope this is helpful.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 10:26 pm 
2drx - If I knew html I wouldn't be this stressed. hiker - These are portraits. Portraits that I did for people of their pets. They are also action shots of their pets during competition. These were done over a week ago. Every day I'm losing the opportunity to make some money. I have no desire to learn webdesign right now, nor do I have time. Also don't even have enough for rent this month so no money nor time for a class. I need to be figuring out what is going on this site (pics are selected but words are not because I'm too lost and strewn in different directions). Tom - and what I can see about the free photo album sites is that they invite the viewers to pay them for poor quality prints. I don't want them to even have that option.

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 10:57 pm 
Tom, I may have found a photo album site that might work, for now anyway. Though I'll still have this same problem until I can have a real site. I'm looking into http://www.picturetrail.com/

Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostTue Apr 30, 2002 7:37 am 
This may not be what you want, I only skimmed through this and I gotta get offline for a while. But...the #1 photo site, with public and private albums, quality prints, decent prices, etc. is shutterfly.com. If I tell them you're coming I get some free prints out of the deal. That's not important, but if you like I'm mentalfloss1@yahoo.com

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Apr 30, 2002 9:23 am 
Thank you for the suggestion. But like I said, I don't want them to have the opportunity to have the website print them. I will be having them printed through a professional lab from my negatives - not from a scan. Also, this is for ME to make money - not the website.

Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostWed May 01, 2002 2:42 pm 
Yeah...I read poorly. I pay $5 a month for an ad-free site on Tripod.com. I've used it for a long time and have had no problems with it. Some of the photos I have posted there are fairly low-res and would make lame prints. Anyway, good luck! You're a hiker called Catwoman who goes to dog shows huh? wink.gif

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed May 01, 2002 10:16 pm 
Cat, the best advice I can offer is to use what Tom has suggested for displaying your photos of the dog show for now. Then, commit yourselve to having your own web site. Thus, learning code and or how to weave web pages. In this process, you will come to understand what different coding means. One way to learn is you can right click the view source code on any site and see what they use and what coding looks like as it compares to the finished page. Once you become your own web master, and you will if you dedicate yourself to it, you will enjoy the html world...it is your own special place tho at times it can be frustrating especailly when you get trimed out loading something up.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu May 02, 2002 11:16 am 
First of all let me say that I'm getting "file server error" way too frequently these days and it's making me crazy! McPilchuck - Like I said, I found a photo album site that I think will work. In fact, if anyone else wants one, check out picturetrail. They offer free photo album site for up to 36 photos and you pay for having more than that. I had to pay because I have 53 so far and there will be lots more with each event. You can block people from having prints made and you can even block people from right-clicking and saving to their computer - very cool. And you can have an intro page in which you can do a little html magic or be just plain jane.