Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat May 29, 2004 10:30 am 
Just a List

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSat May 29, 2004 8:00 pm 
Well I'm reluctant to give away this little place, but I've picked up some gems at Don Quixote Books in downtown Everett. I think its still there. I found a paperback called "The Flying Fisherman" by Gadabout Gaddis. If you can remember that old TV show, you're older than dirt (but younger than Marlin Perkins). Ballard Books was pretty good when I worked in Ballard a few years ago. There used to be book store in downtown Tacoma that I liked (Fox's???). Its gone now.

Let me stand next to your fire
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat May 29, 2004 8:38 pm 
DAVID ISHII BOOKS 212 FIRST AVE. S 98104 Ø622-4719 MON-SAT 10-6, SUN 10-5 FLY FISHING, BASEBALL, GENERAL OP; SEARCHES, APPRAISALS up.gif I know after that place this one is blasphemous- but the Half-Price Books in Redmond is kinda cool in its funky brick bldg. Horribly hot in there during warm weather though.

salish

salish
PostWed Jun 02, 2004 12:59 pm 
Stones wrote:
Well I'm reluctant to give away this little place, but I've picked up some gems at Don Quixote Books in downtown Everett. I think its still there. I found a paperback called "The Flying Fisherman" by Gadabout Gaddis. If you can remember that old TV show, you're older than dirt (but younger than Marlin Perkins).
I'm older than dirt smile.gif There used to be a used bookstore on 3rd, just north of The Bon parking garage, called Beattys Books. Great place, and reminiscent of the old Shoreys.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Far Fig Newton

Far Fig Newton
PostWed Jun 02, 2004 3:58 pm 
Stones wrote:
...Don Quixote Books in downtown Everett.
When was the last time you were there?

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostFri Jun 04, 2004 10:55 pm 
Al S. Enne wrote:
Stones wrote:
...Don Quixote Books in downtown Everett.
When was the last time you were there?
It may have been as long ago as two years. I hope its still there. I also picked up a fair copy of "Flora of the Pacific Northwest" there for about $20. Downtown Everett is changing, I guess for the good in some ways.

Let me stand next to your fire
lipstick hiker

lipstick hiker
PostTue Jun 08, 2004 1:24 am 
books for less
I have found new books that are reduced in price at G.I. Joes biggrin.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 08, 2004 9:24 am 
www.abebooks.com

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostMon Aug 30, 2004 10:05 am 
Epilogue Books, down by the Ballard Locks. It's where I found my $5 copy of "teanaway country" I've been looking for for years!

Alpine Tom

Alpine Tom
PostSun Sep 05, 2004 11:40 am 
salish wrote:
Stones wrote:
Well I'm reluctant to give away this little place, but I've picked up some gems at Don Quixote Books in downtown Everett. I think its still there. I found a paperback called "The Flying Fisherman" by Gadabout Gaddis. If you can remember that old TV show, you're older than dirt (but younger than Marlin Perkins).
I'm older than dirt smile.gif There used to be a used bookstore on 3rd, just north of The Bon parking garage, called Beattys Books. Great place, and reminiscent of the old Shoreys.
Man, I miss Beattys. They were there for YEARS, and last summer I stopped by, and the place was closed. I got my first copies of CAG from there, as well as many of my college English texts. Back when we had that really wet snowstorm, in Dec '96, they got terrible water damage in the back of the store. The owners were pretty old; I guess they finally retired. The best bookstore around is, of course, Powells in Portland. It costs me about $2 a minute to shop there.

efranzen

efranzen
PostSun Oct 10, 2004 4:57 am 
There is a great used book store in Auburn called Comstock's Bindery & Bookshop.

Moleman

Moleman
PostWed Jun 01, 2005 12:46 am 
Don Quixote's in Everett (featuring the bookstore cat) has been gone for several years now. Pilchuck Books is a few blocks south of the old DQ location, and worth a visit. The Half Price Books stores have some good guide books, for those who collect such. For instance, the Falcon guide to the Wallowas, which I've bought for $4.98 instead of the $16.95 list (still in print, I think) price. " Allibris.com " is good for searches.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Jan 06, 2007 12:09 pm 
well, if we are talking about Tacoma, then let me mention a fabulous used bookstore in Bellingham - Henderson's Books is legendary - family owned, HUGE building in the centre of town, and the owners and staff know their books. And while we are in the area, Village Books in Fairhaven also have a very large selection of used books (including hiking/mountaineering)

Andrew

Andrew
PostWed Jan 17, 2007 11:56 pm 
I second the recommendation for Village Books. I would probably say the same about Henderson's Books, but they weren't open today. However, Michael's Books right across the street was and I located a 1959 issue of The Mountaineer. There was another from the late 60s that discussed proposals for the naming of some lakes in the Enchantments.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Jan 27, 2007 6:48 pm 
On Cap Hill there's a place I think it's called Broadway Books, they have tons of cats running around the store!! Great store with a great book selection.