Forum Index > Trail Talk > Foothills between Duvall, Monroe, and Sultan
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 9:54 pm 
Okay, next topic...I didn't want to make that last one huge, so here we go. Is there any way by Jeep to get from Stossel Creek Road over to the Lake Margaret/Hannan/Fontal area? I see one good-looking road that takes off Stossel Creek near Lake Dorothy and comes into the Lake Fontal Road about a mile or so below Lake Hannan. This would be an awesome link! I've got more questions about the area, but I'll save them for later.

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 12:12 am 
Scrooge would know for sure, but I don't think too much of the land (if any) north of Stossel is Weyerhaeuser, and if it is, I've never seen anybody patrolling. As to a connector, as long as there aren't any gates, you should just be able to follow the main (Marckworth Freeway as it's been called) road from Ben Howard all the way to Stossel Cr. Road and then into Stillwater. I know that you can at least head towards Fontal from the Marckworth, but I don't know if there are gates preventing a through route back to Duvall.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 7:51 am 
Sundance Kid wrote:
Is there any way by Jeep to get from Stossel Creek Road over to the Lake Margaret/Hannan/Fontal area? I see one good-looking road that takes off Stossel Creek near Lake Dorothy and comes into the Lake Fontal Road about a mile or so below Lake Hannan. This would be an awesome link!
Mostly not. There are a couple of gates on the west side of that area that are usually locked, and one to the SE that is sometimes locked, plus a couple more on in-between routes that are always locked. I can't remember them all because it's a great area to walk and the gates are no obstacle. As Bryan says, you can get from north to south all the way from Ben Howard to Stillwater/Carnation, but you can't get east to west north of the Cherry Valley Truck Trail. You've got to follow it all the way out to Rt 203 and go north on that before you can turn back east to Kayak Lake and the area around Lakes Fontal and Hannan. There are a couple of roads that go through north/south, including one named Mountain View Road, but they're all gated. You can do quite a bit of driving on the east side of Fontal/Hannan, and get to some pretty nice viewpoints. The accessible spurs west of Fontal/Hannan are fairly uninteresting. Some of it you'll just have to explore, because neither the USGS maps nor my memory is up to date. dizzy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 8:17 am 
http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/citizenship/landaccess/washington/snoqualmie.asp Sundance You obviously have a keen interest in exploring this area. Check out the link above to find out more information about access to Weyerhaeuser land. Although Weyco at one time owned most of the land between HWY 90 and HWY 2, it is now a myriad of owners including Longview Fiber, Hancock Timber, DNR, Seattle Water Dept and others. Even the status of Weyco as the major land owner is about to change (check out Evergreen Land Trusts website) but the access policy found in the link above should run through the end of the year. As others have advised, the most dependable form of access to this area is by non-motorized means. Going through gates is like playing roulette. If they are open, they may close at any time. Another tip is to have a couple forms of communication (CB, cell phone). When logging is active the trucks drive by their CB's to warn each other where they are, and if you spend enough time in the area you are going to get locked in. Happy exploring TC

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 5:03 pm 
Funny that King Lake has been mentioned...I use to fish it alot with first trip in there with dad in 1959. The road was real tough even with 4x4s of that day. Back then, we had all that country almost to ourselves for fishing, well almost that is, rarely did you see folks at little backwoods lakes and beaver ponds, I knew them all like the back of my hand. I use to spend many evenings up at King all alone fishing, rarely did I see another angler. Since gates on private land and more logging, I haven't been back up that way since about 1985 or so. Have find memories though of that country...

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 5:14 pm 
Take a look on Terraserver, the airphotos are 12 years old but you may be able to find access routes from them. http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?T=1&S=12&X=728&Y=6620&Z=10&W=2

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 6:06 pm 
Cherry Valley Truck Trail!!!
The Cherry Valley Truck Trail!!! That's what I want! It links Stossel Creek Road directly with the High Rock Road right near where it crosses Hannan Creek. Does anyone know if it's gated? If it's not, how could I have missed this before???? waah.gif

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 8:29 am 
Gates
The route you've picked out would be a fine one, all passenger car quality, but it's pretty thoroughly gated. Here's a map showing what I know. - I think Timber Cruiser has the right of it: open gates are an invitation to a lot of unpleasantness. .......................... I created some confusion, myself, whan I said Cherry Valley Truck Trail. What I meant was Cherry Valley Road, which goes from the vicinity of lake Margaret/Lake Joy out to Route 203. Actually, I'm a little embarassed: until today I thought there were two roads with the same name in the area. dizzy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 1:29 pm 
addendum
The area might be drivable in the summer. The CYO operates Camp Hamilton on Lake Hannan. I've only been there in winter, so I really don't know. I also don't know how they'd feel about your following High Rock Road through the middle of camp while they're there. shakehead.gif

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 1:49 pm 
So according to the map you posted, I could feasibly drive from Stossel Creek Road on the Cherry Valley Truck Trail (not Cherry Valley Road) all the way to at least the gate that you have marked as "often open." Now the question is, is there a gate between Stossel Creek Road and there? It looks like wonderful terrain. A few posts ago, you said that there were a few through roads that ran north-south, including Mountain View Road, but that they were all gated. I have been trying to find a way through there for a long time now. According to the map there are plenty of roads connecting north-south through that area, especially right around Lake Margaret. Do you know of any that aren't gated? I would love to get through there.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 4:03 pm 
Sundance Kid wrote:
According to the map there are plenty of roads connecting north-south through that area, especially right around Lake Margaret. Do you know of any that aren't gated? I would love to get through there.
mmmmm shakehead.gif Better look at the map more carefully. That's a typical former logging area: lots of spurs go towards each other, but they don't connect - or at least they didn't when we probed that area 4 or 5 years ago. Mountain View Road, the powerline road, and one other (that doesn't show on the map) are all gated. Things are better on the east side. I've attached a map which shows the gates I know about. There was not one east of the "often open" one. If it's closed, the "sample" route is a fine walk. This is NWHikers, ya know. agree.gif biggrin.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 8:10 pm 
.... and in conclusion !
One more map. This shows the western section of the area; the gates I know about; and the lack of other north/south roads. There are enough residences in this area so that it is mostly not a good area to walk - but we walked the sections between the gates, anyway. rolleyes.gif

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostFri Jun 14, 2002 9:53 pm 
I am going to have to make a visit to downtown Seattle and spend some time at the County Assessor's office. I want to find out if those roads are privately owned, even if they are gated. I can't see much trouble in just walking along the roads... shakehead.gif So they've got the place pretty much locked down...that's okay...I'm going to have to invest in a mountain bike. agree.gif

KJM

KJM
PostFri Oct 24, 2003 9:09 pm 
I grew up on Lake Kayak, not to far from Fontal. It has been 20 years, but at the time I new the area well. No area road went untraveled with my dirt bike. Alot has changed since then . Lake Hannah has a CYO camp and they don't like people coming around. King Lake area is being turned into million dollar estates etc. Hang Gliders commonly glide off of ridge above Ben Howard Rd., which you can access via King Lake Road (if passable anymore). Mountainview Drive used to be a county ROW (King County portion) until a lawyer bought surrounding property and gated it off.

BillJ
Bill J

BillJ
Bill J
PostWed Jul 30, 2008 8:15 pm 
There is no access to Lake Fontal from Lake Fontal Road. Lake Fontal Road is a dead end. There is also no access to Lake Hannan either. It is located on private property. When I tried to hike in, I was politely asked to leave the property.