Forum Index > Trail Talk > Foothills between Duvall, Monroe, and Sultan
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jul 30, 2008 9:47 pm 
Wrong time of year. You shouldn't expect to go there when the camp is being used, but it's a great place to hike in winter when no one's around and the mountains are deep in snow. Larch and I have hiked about every loop possible there, as well as the out and back between Fontal and Hannan, and coming in from both High Rock Road and Elwell Valley. edit - It's too bad we didn't manage to save all those maps, along with the text. frown.gif I looked at my files, but could only find this one.
Lake Hannem loop
3 labels
Lake Hannem loop
BillJ, I'm pretty sure you could do this loop, now, because it's entirely outside the camp property. I would recommend parking at the gate on High Rock Road, even if the gate is open.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KJM

KJM
PostWed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 pm 
Is the Elwell Wall and the campground still accessible? You used to be able to drive right to the edge of the Wall. Wasn't it accessible off of Stossel Creek Rd? I haven't been out that way in years. Amazing this thread got picked up after five years.

Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostThu Jul 31, 2008 2:05 am 
I just happen to live smack dab in that area. It is ALL gated off by our wonderfull friends at DNR. mad.gif Sorry, they spend big bucks building gates all along the truck trail, and then for the final kick in the nutz... They gated the truck trail.. I no longer give a rat's a$$ about those clowns. The shooters did make a mess. Friends of the Trail left big piles of mess with stupid signs about cleaning up your mess. Myself, and 14 members of a local shooting club picked up all of the mess from both.( It was very nice of the county guys to let us dump it off at the transfer station for free) On the other hand it does not stop people from going out there to shoot themselves in the head, so the guys on quads who go around the gates can find them. Yup, Im bitter of it. rolleyes.gif

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Jul 31, 2008 7:24 am 
Snow_Knot said
Quote:
Sorry, they spend big bucks building gates all along the truck trail, and then for the final kick in the nutz... They gated the truck trail..
Clarification, SK: does that mean you can no longer get from Ben Howard Road to Cherry Valley Road via Elwell Valley? I think I remember seeing a gate at the "End of County Maintenance" point, but never seeing it closed That was the last open north-south route west of 203. irked.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostThu Jul 31, 2008 4:24 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
Snow_Knot said
Quote:
Sorry, they spend big bucks building gates all along the truck trail, and then for the final kick in the nutz... They gated the truck trail..
Clarification, SK: does that mean you can no longer get from Ben Howard Road to Cherry Valley Road via Elwell Valley? I think I remember seeing a gate at the "End of County Maintenance" point, but never seeing it closed That was the last open north-south route west of 203. irked.gif
Correct! ( Except abou the west part, it is East of SR203)... No more Ben Howard to Cherry Valley road. Nice new pretty blue DNR gate... They are gate happy out here now. Someone also burned down the new sign they put up... And honestly I smiled a little. I am waiting to see if they open them up for hunting season. I will let you know in the morning. wink.gif

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 10:06 am 
Quote:
I am waiting to see if they open them up for hunting season. I will let you know in the morning. wink.gif
No, DNR did not open up the gates for hunting season,( I checked, and a guy with his ADA permit could not access the handicapped hunting area) so I went out along the Mt Loop, and hunted in areas where the hikers go.. If hunting areas get closed down for access, then the hunters will have little to no choice other than to get closer to the hikers. The DNR folks need to start pulling their heads out of their 3rd point of contact.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 10:31 am 
Snow_Knot said
Quote:
Correct! ( Except abou the west part, it is East of SR203)
I came from the East Coast (about 35 years ago). To me, everything out here is "west" and I still make that stupid mistake all the time. irked.gif Snow_Knot also said
Quote:
The DNR folks need to start pulling their heads out of their 3rd point of contact.
Yeah. You're right on that one, too. ....... Some years ago I talked to the engineer in charge of killing the roads around Spada Reservoir. I questioned the need to tear them up. He said they were going to do it "because they had the money for it in the budget". rant.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 3:23 pm 
I'm sick everytime I go back to that area. I grew up fishing, hiking, exploring the Cedar Ponds, Tomtit, Dagger Lk area. Cedar Ponds has turned into a run down survivalist type area. There was even an old Army tank up there somewhere running around on the roads that I heard about. Most of that area and it's huge, is gated, locked, signed and all but shut down to the average Joe. You can still walk into Fontal, but it's all over grown and tough to access the lake. There used to be a road branching off at the lake where you could go over the top of the ride and drop back to Youngs Creek years ago. I'm sure that's a brushed out mess now. There's quite the history all thru that area. The resort at Cedar Ponds was a prohibition era hide out accessed via horse drawn coaches. The first 60's era outdoor concert preceding Woodstock was held near the turn off to the Cedar Ponds/Ben Howard Rd. Do a search for the Sky River Lighter than Air Fair. Some cool reading and history.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles

Waterman
Greg R.

Greg R.
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 8:08 pm 
Hiking around Lake Margaret area.......
Was doing a search on Cherry Creek Falls the other day and found this thread and forum. If any of you have links or personal maps of hiking roads or trails around this area I'd love to obtain them. We live up near Lake Margaret and want to explore this area. Been on a few trails and roads but not much. Just getting started back hiking again and want to use this area to keep in shape and test gear with. Greg excelforyou@cablespeed.com Thanks!

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 pm 
Perhaps the "Haystack" you are thinking of, near Cedar Ponds Road, is actually "Elwell Scarp". And, no, I am not making up that goofball name. The gate off the main road is always closed/locked, so a hike and/or mountain bike trip is required. There are two true "Haystack" references in that general area of Sultan-Monroe-Duvall. "Haystack Mountain" is a peak located south of Gold Bar, and is most easily accessed from offshoots from Forest Road 62 (which is also the main access road from Highway 2 to Mount Persis). "Haystack Lookout", which is another name for Mount Sultan (or Sultan Mountain), is located southwest of Sultan. It is a very long ridgeline. No lookout remains at the summit, although some communication towers are there. The road leading to that summit can be accessed from Cedar Ponds Road, but is something like 20 miles roundtrip. *ugh* Definitely a worthy mountain bike trip.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 9:11 pm 
Redwic said
Quote:
The road leading to that summit can be accessed from Cedar Ponds Road, but is something like 20 miles roundtrip. *ugh* Definitely a worthy mountain bike trip.
Also from Ben Howard Road. JimK went up that way back in June. Here's his TR, Airplane Lake (Sultan). GregR, get yourself the USGS quads for Monroe, Sultan, Gold Bar, Carnation, and Lake Joy ........ and start exploring. biggrin.gif There'll be some new stuff, that doesn't show, but almost all the roads that show will still be there, in some form. There are a few social trails, but mostly it's a matter of driving where you can, and walking gated logging roads, where you can't. Quite a lot of it is in the tree farm, but you can still walk or bike those roads, from many access points. It's a very good project for late fall and winter. humpy.gif NOTE: try running searches (here on the forum) on things like Drunken Charlie Lake, the Tomtit Alps, the Pipeline Trail, and so on.

arthaey
Greg R.

Greg R.
PostMon Jul 27, 2009 10:34 pm 
Thanks. Just need some names to get started.

Frank

Frank
PostTue Jul 28, 2009 6:12 am 
Try to get a Handcock map or a dnr map I would be very caucious of driving past any of the gates

Greg R.

Greg R.
PostFri Jul 31, 2009 6:20 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions Frank! Now that this heat is over with going to get out next week.

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostWed Dec 01, 2010 10:47 pm 
Umm, I'm sorry, but DNR totally blows with its gates across Stossel Creek and Ben Howard. That was one of my favorite places for years. I hope those people rot in hell.

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?