Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Leonid Meteors 2009: Half Storm predicted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 17, 2009 11:43 am 
With meteor forcasting getting more and more accurate as evidenced by verification of the higher than normal rates for the Perseids, there's good news afoot for the Leonids in November...500 per hour rates and a new moon.
Quote:
Dec. 4, 2008: Astronomers from Caltech and NASA say a strong shower of Leonid meteors is coming in 2009. Their prediction follows an outburst on Nov. 17, 2008, that broke several years of "Leonid quiet" and heralds even more intense activity next November. "On Nov. 17, 2009, we expect the Leonids to produce upwards of 500 meteors per hour," says Bill Cooke of the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. "That's a very strong display." Forecasters define a meteor storm as 1000 or more meteors per hour. That would make the 2009 Leonids "a half-storm," says Jeremie Vaubaillon of Caltech, who successfully predicted a related outburst just a few weeks ago.
2009 Leonid details

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostMon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 pm 
Excellent. Might be a good excuse to take advantage of an El Nino year. Best meteor display I have ever seen was a Leonid shower. Lots of fireballs.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 9:06 pm 
This one is always on my schedule, but that late in Nov. makes for tough viewing here in W.WA. The one back in the early 2000's was spectacular. I took my daughters up by Tonga Ridge and it was awesome. up.gif up.gif up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostTue Aug 18, 2009 10:25 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
This one is always on my schedule, but that late in Nov. makes for tough viewing here in W.WA. The one back in the early 2000's was spectacular. I took my daughters up by Tonga Ridge and it was awesome. up.gif up.gif up.gif
Yeah I think that was the one my wife and I camped out near Snoqualmie Pass for. It was amazing, especially the huge fireballs. Froze our butts off.