Forum Index > Pacific NW History > what does this old mining term mean?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
frankm3

frankm3
PostWed Jun 30, 2004 9:09 am 
When I was in Butte, M O N T A N A several weeks ago I picked up this cool old Butte/ mining ad. It has this term in it that I am unfamiliar with; I was hoping one of you all could help me figure out what it means.... WTH does "Tap 'er light" mean? Here is a scan of the ad.... Frank
butte ad
butte ad

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KenM

KenM
PostWed Jun 30, 2004 9:44 am 
Miners in the Butte copper mines used to say "tap 'er light" to advise against tapping too heavily and causing rockslides in the mines. Later, it was adopted as a substitute for "take it easy" or "goodbye."

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostWed Jun 30, 2004 10:16 am 
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif ditto.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
frankm3

frankm3
PostWed Jun 30, 2004 1:19 pm 
Thanks guys; I wound up googling it after I posted that and came up with a similar answer to the one you all offered. That's got to be about the 'manliest' salutation I've come across thus far..."OK, I'll see you tomorrow, 'till then don't get blown up, or crushed in a rockslide" eek.gif up.gif I thought that was a pretty neat ad; if I was living in old-timey days, I would have wanted to 'ride in' and check out Butte! I still think it's a neat place even now! Did you guys ever see this photo of me from back in my prospectin' days? Frank
frank and prospector
frank and prospector

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed Jun 30, 2004 4:27 pm 
Who's the old geezer riding you? Why does Jamie Moyer keep getting into your pictures??? confused.gif

frankm3

frankm3
PostThu Jul 01, 2004 11:09 am 
I had no idea that Jamie Moyer and I share a resemblence; that's too funny! This wouldn't be a particularly good year to try and cash in on that, though probably, huh? When Kim (Quark) and I were at the Mariners game the other night, it was country western night. Each time a Mariner came up to bat their photo appeared with a really outlandish cowboy hat. Ichiro's was the funniest, it had a huge feather doo-dad with a small skull of some kind on it, they were hysterical. Of course...they LOST... I actually am kind of jealous of that old coot on the mule, in some regards, though. It would be just AWESOME to have a mule to carry all your stuff! And, as an added bonus, when you go up hills, you can just hold onto their tail and get a free ride!