Forum Index > Trail Talk > getting out this weekend
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 11:08 am 
Hi, I'm going out with a buddy for my first backpack trip of the season this weekend. Everything I want to do seems to be buried under tons and tons of snow. Any suggestions for something that's reasonably melted out, and preferably not terribly far form Seattle? Don't want to drive more than three hours.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 11:19 am 
Go check out some new trails on Mt. Si! agree.gif

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 11:31 am 
Well maybe with all this blasted heat the lower elevations will be melting out faster. At least this weekend it won't be snowing at 2500 feet. Trout Lake, Miller River, North Fork Sky? The roads ought to be clear by now at least...

Path O. Logical

Path O. Logical
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 11:31 am 
The Leavenworthless area is mostly melted out. Colchuck Lake had snow last week but bare sites available. 90 to 95% of the trail snow free.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 12:48 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Well maybe with all this blasted heat the lower elevations will be melting out faster. At least this weekend it won't be snowing at 2500 feet. Trout Lake, Miller River, North Fork Sky? The roads ought to be clear by now at least...
I spoke with the Skykomish Ranger yesterday and she told me Trout Lake was open with a few patchy areas of snow on the trail, but said Copper & Malachite might still have snow. I'll be heading up to Trout Lake Friday night.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 2:21 pm 
Colchuck would be great if you didn't need a stinking permit....June 15 is Saturday. down.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 3:35 pm 
If anyone wants to kick steps ahead of me they can be at the trailhead for Boston Basin at 0500 on Saturday. A buddy and I will be dayclimbing El Dorado. BYO harness.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 4:12 pm 
Goat Lake - Delta Lake
Salish. Please give us a report on snow and meltwater conditions when you get back. Larch and I are going to Goat Lake on Sunday. The combined information should give us a good fix on Delta Lake and the West Fork Foss. Should be sometime in the following three weeks, probably a Sunday. -Bryan, BPJ, Ice Girl, anybody else, please give me a reading on whether any of those dates are particularly good/bad for you. agree.gif shakehead.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 5:33 pm 
Al, get the directions to Delta. Good chance it's do-able this time of year. There is a faint trail on the left side of the outlet whesnt you arrive at the lake. Take that around to Otters inlet. (There are three inlets. Hence the name delta) Then make your way up to Otter. Of the Foss lakes Otter thaws first, always! Besides it's a wonderful lake. Ebineezer, which Goat lake are you going to? What is in the following couple weeks? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 6:34 pm 
Speaking of stinking permits, it looks like there is a protest this saturday https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=380 Speaking of user fees mad.gif http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/74453_parks13.shtml

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 6:37 pm 
Too dang hot in my bedroom to sleep tonight Jeez, must be 110 It's upstairs I'm packin' and headin' up to Index to cool off and spent the night. NN eek.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 6:42 pm 
Go to Little Lake Caroline and be sure to hike to Windy Pass. You should have no problems getting a permit to that area. Also, you can read my trail report for Stuart Lake, it does have clear campsites, but Colchuck will be packed.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 7:58 pm 
Goat Lake - Delta Lake
BPJ - We're going to the easy Goat Lake just north of Monte Cristo. The elevation's very similar to Delta, they both have awesome outfalls, etc. So it should give a fair idea of what to expect at Delta. The next two weekends are June 22,23 and 29,30. I can't tell yet whether my schedule will give me Saturday or Sunday. Ice Girl's already said either of the two are good for her. Allison. There's a really good series of trip reports on Delta Lake on WTA. In the mean time, if I've got your address, I'll send you the map Randy sent me! biggrin.gif the first time I headed up there.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 8:53 pm 
We're probably going to do Baring on Saturday if the weather is even half-way decent. Some Teanaway action may be in order if there's westside rain. I'm also looking to get out on my first over-nighter since making my comeback. With Father's Day and all on Sunday it's just gonna have to wait.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 9:14 pm 
Beggin your pardon Randy, but your come back from what? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln