Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lost on Everest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jun 18, 2002 9:59 pm 
PBS #9 had the special, "Lost on Everest" show tonight about Mallory and Irvine's ascent attempt in 1924...quite interesting to say the least, fascinating! Mallory of course was found during the expo that was in search of the two, but no Irvine. Lead climber Conrad A. of the search expo determined after doing the 2nd step, before summiting himself, concluded that Mallory probably didn't make it to the summit, but died in a fall before the 2nd step (by the looks of where the body was found) and that Irvine tried to return to their last camp only to die from exposure during the night somewhere. So, I think it's safe to say that Edmond H. and sherpa Tang were the 1st to summit Everest. At any rate, what a show!

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 18, 2002 10:11 pm 
Mc P, damn fine show for sure. Think about it. 25+ years before Hillary, Mallory got very close! Earth no longer produces men like that! What they did, with what they had to use. Good lord it was eons beyond hilary's work. I too subscribe that they were defeated, but damn it, I wish they would have made it! They were men that defined their/our world! God bless them! Tom Bentzen

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 9:21 am 
Right on Joe! They were very close, but that 2nd step on the NE side was tough from what Conrad said to climb, Conrad's partner used the fixed ladder for it. Both Mallory/Irvine used oxygen, but it was was primitive. Conrad concluded Mallory probably turned back knowing Irvine couldn't make the step which is in an extremely dangerous spot, being that Irvine was not as well enough equiped in skill as Mallory. Or during an attempt at the step is where Mallory had an accident sliding down the mountain to where his body was found with broken leg and other injuries. Irvne then stricken with the thought of Mallory gone, had to descend in the growing darkness towards their camp but never found it, subsequently dying up there at age 22 from exposure. All pretty sad, but nonetheless interesting from a mountain climbing perspective let alone happening in 1924.

salish

salish
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 11:12 am 
Next Showing of Lost on Everest
Darn, wish I could have caught this program last night. I checked the KCTS schedule and the next showings are as follows: Saturday, June 29, 2002 1:00 AM (KCTS) Wednesday, July 3, 2002 1:00 AM (KCTS)

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 1:16 pm 
C'mon guys, you know Mallory made it to the top. He fell on the way down wink.gif. Sorry I missed the show. I'll have to catch the next showing. I've been reading the book "Ghosts of Everest" and it is fascinating.

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 1:27 pm 
http://www.wshs.org/text/exhibit-everest.htm up.gif up.gif Detectives on Everest is returning to the Tacoma Museum of History Setember 7, 2002 thru Feb. 2003. I caught this exhibit the last time it was in Tacoma. To see the technology and materials actually used by Mallory and his contemporaries in person is awesome. Don't miss it.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 2:30 pm 
Tom says: "C'mon guys, you know Mallory made it to the top. He fell on the way down . " Nope, I agree with Conrad A.,who summited that route in the expodition search for those two, because of where his body was found, and by the time of day his attempt was being made, he didn't make the 2nd step to go beyond, besides he knew nothing of the NE. route for nobody had been there before, and other Conrad A., nobody that I have ever heard of climbed it without the fix ladder on that route. Also, their oxygen (Irvine's system) was untested above 20,000 + feet, and Irvine himself was not experienced at that height - his scope of climbing at 22 was no where near Mallory's, so he would have been ineffective to support Mallory on a final push along the ridge as well as helping as an anchor at the step. Why did Mallory choose him - only because of his knowledge of oxygen. For mallory, his third attempt at Everest, it was his last attempt, he'd die trying yet live with immortality.

salish

salish
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 2:56 pm 
Mallory on Top?
Tend to agree with you, McP, based on what I've read and seen. Of course, people are saying the more important find, historically speaking, is that little Kodak Vest Pocket camera, which could be with Irvine's body, or uphill from Mallory's corpse.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 10:58 pm 
"So, if you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all,the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life means and what life is for." - George Mallory, 1922