Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking Ticket
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jun 24, 2002 7:21 pm 
So who did issue the ticket? Now if you really dislike, resent and feel that you should not have to pay for the trail pass and *parking* ticket, then this may be a good time to bring this issues to the limelight. If you can afford legal representation or can find one that will represent you free, then fight it. This is what is needed to further let the feds know that people do protest this fee. I think that your ticket, if issued by the FS and for not having a trail pass is just fuel for the upcoming hearing on the law. If you and all others comply and then purchase the pass then they can say 'look at the compliance, the users agree with the pass'. 'Please pass the law'. 'Please'. Really, this is a good time to fight it. Ask for publicity, support and demonstrations in your behalf. Radical I know. But if this is what you believe then now is the time to stand up and fight. Then the other side of me (the passive side) says. You knowingly broke the law. You got caught. Now you must pay. We all know that most users don't want to pay. Most probably do just to avoid the hassle. It's a fee. Just like a toll bridge. Seriously, fight it all the way. IMHO Maybe something in these links will lead to some legal advise and help. http://www.wildwilderness.org/home.html NN frown.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostMon Jun 24, 2002 7:24 pm 
SAS, The only thing on the citation is what I noted earlier and the usual lisc number, etc etc, but never says who it is from other than US Dist Court Violation Notice. Officer Jin Ames cited me. I'd assume he works for the US Forest Service. I think everyone has made good points, but I'm not sure I heard from anyone or about anyone that, got one of these $50 tickets and got out of it?? I've sent the little yellow envelope back with a protest note. Mrs Pappy says they're gunning for me because I've skated so many times. paranoid.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Jun 24, 2002 8:58 pm 
So, where can I get myself some old license plates, anyway? paranoid.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 24, 2002 9:08 pm 
Lots of places. None legal though. AND, you're talking big time trouble if you're ever caught! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jun 24, 2002 9:42 pm 
I wouldn't say it is like paying a toll. It is more like paying for a colonoscopy.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 12:40 am 
Like I said previously: I never bought one and never will. I do however understand the need for funds on projects in some high use areas, charge for those specific areas if it's needed. On the other hand, many of the areas I hike/climb in have had little if any improvements in years except for fancy new trailhead signs...example, the Pilchuck Trailhead Parking area as well as the Pilchuck Bear Lake Trailhead Parking area hasn't changed or improved in 30+ years. And since January 1st of this year, I have seen "No" road work or trail work in most all the areas I've been to, but then I don't go up the Sky or the Snoqualmie anymore. "Bitching?" Hardly, I just see things as they are...the Trail Park Pass is too wide spread and doesn't encompass a lot of areas, or shouldn't in my book, one reason to the why some FS management folks themselves in Southern Washington thing it shouldn't apply to every nook & cranny trailhead...see my site under Ascending Summits. Enough said.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 5:46 am 
Some examples & tips: http://www.wildwilderness.org/docs/tips.htm An interesting site, Lots of fee demo links http://www.afseee.org/fsnews/news.htm Make them prove you were recreating. Maybe you were exercising or just getting your head together. Takin' a Crap? Good Luck NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 8:24 am 
Cool links!
Thanks for the info biggrin.gif I still think a color copier could be handy, though wink.gif

PostTue Jun 25, 2002 8:47 am 
Newt, I had the same thought about saying I was in the outhouse. OR how do they know I didn't break down, push my car into the lot and hitch a ride out for a tow. Obviously that is just BS on my part. But so is the law, because I believe the intent of the law is for users of trails to help pay for maintenance. It is just as much BS to give parking violations. They don't know for certain, unless they put field officers on all the trails, where you have been, or why you are parked. I think I'll write a letter and lie through my teeth. I believe that is the language of large organizations and governments. cool.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 9:49 am 
No reason to get caught with the old plates. You simply apply them when you arrive, and take them off before you leave. get creative with some reflective foil and the letters from an old set of tabs and you can even come up with pretty convincing fake tabs. The functionary writing tickets isn't scrutinizing your plates, just looking for a number.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 12:33 pm 
Fake plates versus fake pass . . .
It seems to me that the penalty for getting caught displaying a counterfeit trail pass would probably be less than the penalty for getting caught displaying fake license plates, not that I'm advocating either. It also seems to me that a counterfeit trail pass would be less detectible than fake plates. It's inside your locked car after all where you could obscure any identifying numbers. There is a small chance authorities might run the plates and learn they do not match the car. Then what? Again, I'm not advocating breaking the law--I'm only "thinkin out loud" about how to avoid Pappy's problem if I was inclined to break the law. Relating this back to the fee protest links above, counterfeit passes would also deprive the Forest Service of evidence that theit little "test" is working.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 2:02 pm 
I'm thinking the counterfeit pass is a better way to go, a lot less trouble and easier to come up with. Ya merely prop it on the dash with the appropriate enumerated areas hidden by an "accidental" placement of a pair of shades over the serial #.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 7:19 pm 
There is one downside I can see on the counterfeit pass thingy. Seems to me on the off chance you got caught with one, given it's a FS pass, which is a federal agency, that the crime would be FEDERAL. Any attys out there have any idea what could happen?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 8:58 pm 
EXCEPT...... how does one photocopy without one to photocopy from? Hmmm?

-lol-

-lol-
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 9:08 pm