Forum Index > Gear Talk > Did you get gear for Christmas? - If so, what?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 28, 2001 12:15 am 
Yep, the elph is a great ultralight hiking camera - so small you'll forget it's in your pocket. I'd recommend a 256MB memory card and an extra battery for those extended trips (email me if you want to know where the deals are). Most of the pictures at my site were taken with a S100 digital elph including the panoramas. I sold it on ebay now that I've upgraded to a 4MP Canon G2. I liked my elph, but I wanted the 4MP to print film quality 8x10's as well as the ability to control shutter and aperature, use telephoto lenses, etc. As far as uploading pics to the net, I use fototime.com and am pretty happy with them. They only charge $24/year for 250 meg of storage (heck, you can't actually buy web space that cheap). You also get some fantastic software for free to organize all your pictures & upload them to the web with one click of a button. Everything is automated. I haven't found any other service that makes it so easy. As far as panoramas, you can take them with any digital camera. You don't even need to use a tripod. You just need enough of an overlap for the sofware to be able to line things up and stitch the seams. I have some older Canon photostitch software that stitches far better than what comes with the newer Canon cameras (or anything I've found on the net for that matter).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostFri Dec 28, 2001 9:45 am 
Last night I converted my gift certificates into a Seattle Sombrero, a Mombasa Tracker Mosquito Net and one of those 7 ounce Primus lanterns with the stainless mesh globe. I'm going to experiment with using the mosquito net alone, inside my Integral SilShelter and under my poncho/bivy tarp. I don't know how often I'll use the lantern, but I've wanted one for a long time. If nothing else it will help me dispose of all those partially full butane canisters in my shed wink.gif It looks like it's gonna be a happy newyear --at least for hiking! smile.gif

Naffer
What's Up!

Naffer
What's Up!
PostFri Dec 28, 2001 10:47 am 
Its Also nice when you have someone that will let you use/borrow all there cool liteweight gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Backpacker Joe---- He's the Man with the Gear. Right Dante...... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

"Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth." -Charles A. Dana (1819 - 1897)
Dante

Dante
PostFri Dec 28, 2001 4:22 pm 
I've been borrowing backpacker Joe's cool lightweight gear for years biggrin.gif