Forum Index > Food & Grub > Yummy light hot food
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ihikebighills

ihikebighills
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 2:28 pm 
Freezedried? Bleah. I typically bring two ramen instant lunch things (the noodles in styrofoam) and a nalgene with six packets of hot chocolate powder for a hot evening meal. I round out my meals with unhealthy stuff like Hostess apple pies (lots of calories, yummy) and the like. Freezedried is simply gross, contains no fat, and is way too expensive. But I'd like to spice it up a bit, so spill the beans: what do you eat in the mountains? And I typically don't have the time to fry pancakes or roast drumsticks. tongue.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 3:16 pm 
If you're aready hauling in Nalgene bottles and Hostess fruit pies, it sounds like weight is no object. huh.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 3:46 pm 
yeah, don't care for nalgene myself, it still makes water taste funny to me, especially when they warm up. i prefer your garden variety PTFE bottles, basically anything pop or gatorade for example come in. I use a coupla two liters as reservoirs in camp, so I only have to pump once a day. Nice and light, plus unscrew the cap and they crush down really well. As for food, not usually into freezedried too much, but one outfit does have some really tasty thai noodles with peanut sauce. I also do the cup o noodles dealo myself.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 4:00 pm 
Not all freeze dried/dehydrated food is awful ('specially compared to ramen and Hostess pies), and those styrofoam ramen packs take up an awful lot of room (maybe you only do overnighters and this isn't an issue?). Here is a thread where people talked about their favorites. There are other threads about food if you search. Mt. Goat, if you remember the name of the brand with the Thai noodles that you like I'd like to know. food thread

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 4:10 pm 
I'm pretty sure he is talking about this: Pud Thai

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 4:20 pm 
Mmmmm...I love ramen noodles, dried veggies, 1/4 pkt flavor prepared in a Ziploc freezer bag with 1 cup boiling water...let sit for 10 minutes, add a bunch parmesan cheese. Yum! I also love making burritos with about anything I can think of...from meat, beans, rice, couscous, salsa, cheese.... I usually make cookies or a block of fudge on trips...high fat is good biggrin.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 4:33 pm 
no, i hadn't seen that one! The one I'm thinking of is called thai chicken with peanuts or something. I get them at the Redmond hikeytown.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 4:39 pm 
this one here?

ihikebighills

ihikebighills
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 5:04 pm 
marylou wrote:
If you're aready hauling in Nalgene bottles and Hostess fruit pies, it sounds like weight is no object. huh.gif
Hostess pies are better than freeze dried when it comes to calories per ounce...but I'm sure you knew that already. As for the Nalgene, I take it because it can withstand boiling water easily.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 5:08 pm 
Why do you need a nalgene to retain boiling water?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 5:10 pm 
I find the Nalgene melts when I try to boil water in it. Something about the heat of the stove or whatever.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 5:11 pm 
bingo! that's the one, marylou. yummy.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 5:12 pm 
Thanks for the tip, Goat. up.gif Need to add anything to it like butter, more chick or veg, curry, salt? I don't mind having to do that, but need to know in advance of being out in the BC! Try that Pad Thai, it's good, though chicken would make it better.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 5:32 pm 
I don't think it needs anything, personally. it's got all kinda thai goop in it, I think adding something may throw off the delicate, nuanced balance of flavors. tongue.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 8:08 pm 
Most of these require prior use of a dehydrator: 1) ramen noodles, dehydrated spaghetti sauce, dehydrated chicken sausage, dehydrated bell peppers. Very yummy - plenty of fat from the ramen noodles, but you can add olive oil. 2) freeze-dried green beans, pouch chicken, sour cream sauce mix (or alfredo sauce mix), dehydrated hash browns. Incredibly edible - lots of fat and plenty of protein. 3) Fantastic Foods instant 3-cheese risotto, dehydrated ground beef, dehydrated spaghetti sauce, olive oil to taste. Mixed together, it comes out tasting kind of like lasagna. 4) powdered coconut milk, curry paste to taste, whatever dehydrated veggies catch your fancy (usually scallions, carrots, and bell peppers), instant rice (brown or white - your choice), dehydrated ground beef. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. 5) pesto paste (comes in a tube at Cost Plus), ramen noodles, dehydrated chicken sausage, dehydrated bell peppers, dehydrated carrots, parmesan cheese. Again, you can add olive oil to this if you need more fat. Very edible. edit to add - on longer trips I carry along some Carnation Instant Breakfast if I need some extra energy at a snack break - I add powdered milk to it before I leave for the trailhead.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic